The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need a Thread. #7

LongRider

Holy Shit.

Some notes:

The Cybertruck is going through the DOT's full frontal crash test. The other vehicles are going through the NHTSA or IIHS's offset front crash test; which concentrates the crash damage on one corner of the vehicle. A more difficult test.

That does not look like 4 wheel steering. That looks like a rear toe link or a control arm attachment point failing. 

Does the Cyber Truck not have side curtain airbags?

Look at how it doesn't bounce when it hits the barrier. That thing is heavy

Imagine being the poor bastard in  another car or a pedestrian that gets hit by one of these enormous stainless pieces of shit.

15 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

That’s great! What is this, is it free, or is it a “Masterclass”, that you pay for?

I'm not sure what you mean. Veritasium is a youtube channel with a lot of science videos. I think they are also part of a broader community like numberfile and crash course. all good stuff.

-

This problem is paradoxical but not in the way they think. The paradox is that, not only is the question phrased incorrectly, it includes a free body diagram that confuses instead of clarifies the problem.

Add a dashed-line circle with a radius of 4, concentric with the r3 circle, and to problem becomes more clear. 

A story with an interesting link popped up on my Google news page. I have no idea how to link on my cell phone, so I’ll just give you the page name: After the Plague.org.

A friary burial ground was uncovered in 2010 in Cambridge. I’m fairly certain I’ve seen the site in the program “Digging for Britain”. The friary, St. John the Evangelist, had a hospital, and it’s assumed many of the people buried in the cemetery were patients, but also friars, scholars and patrons of the hospital. The friary existed from around 1098 until the reign of Henry VIII, when it was destroyed in his campaign against the church.

The organization involved with the archaeological dig has done extensive analysis of 100 of the 400 skeletons, and they’ve chosen 16 of them as samples of the medieval lives involved. Each person has been given a name, and a range of dates when they were likely born and died. The skeletons speak volumes to the archaeologists, giving good indications of what their social status was depending on how their bodies developed. The list includes the young and the old, people who were obviously laborers from the development of their arm bones, or craftsmen, their bones showing other stresses and the absence of heavy lifting, and scholars. And from the whole range in time of the hospital’s existence. Some of them are there as samples of survivors of various plague years, when 1/3 to 1/2 of the population of Cambridge would have died.

I assume the site will grow with additional stories being told as time goes on.

Edited by Fragile Bird
Added details

Just made the first strategic move in my ten-year-plan to take The Arsenal off the Kroenke's hands by putting Lazyscrog Technologies on the official waiting list for an executive box at the Emirates. 

I hope their sales team give it a wee bit before calling me back.  :pimp: :D  :lol:

Edited by Spockydog

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Just made the first strategic move in my ten-year-plan to take The Arsenal off the Kroenke's hands by putting Lazyscrog Technologies on the official waiting list for an executive box at the Emirates.  :pimp: :D  :lol:

Just remember when you got really stoned once you agreed to give me .01% of the team so I could tell people I owned part of a sports team.

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just remember when you got really stoned once you agreed to give me .01% of the team so I could tell people I owned part of a sports team.

Yeah, I remember.

Though *takes bong hit* you do remember that my offer is still contingent on your success in my worldwide search for a beautiful, young, blood-guy.

The selection process is kicking on and my doctors are still waiting for your plasma sample. 

Edited by Spockydog

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

How old I am doesn't matter. Just how old the person I kidnap is. 

I have no clue what you two weirdos are talking about, but I feel I must interject here. How old you are may have a huge impact on the outcome of a kidnapping b/c you must be physically up to the task. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

I have no clue what you two weirdos are talking about, but I feel I must interject here. How old you are may have a huge impact on the outcome of a kidnapping b/c you must be physically up to the task. :ph34r:

I practiced taekwondo for years as a kid. I'll be okay. Besides, all I have to do is find someone to do the dirty work for me. They can keep the kidneys as payment. They can even have the brain or heart as a tip, but not both. 

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I practiced taekwondo for years as a kid. I'll be okay. Besides, all I have to do is find someone to do the dirty work for me. They can keep the kidneys as payment. They can even have the brain or heart as a tip, but not both. 

Well, if it's organs you guys are after maybe just send someone to Argentina since the batshit new president said he's looking into legalising the sale of organs. I'm sure that will go down splendidly btw. 

3 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

What?!

Yup, exactly that. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/20/who-is-javier-milei-argentina-new-president-far-right-what-does-he-stand-for

Gedan believed there would be “a lot of buyer’s remorse in Argentina” if Milei pursued even a small fraction of his ideas. Those ideas include legalising the sale of human organs, dramatically slashing social spending, downplaying the crimes of Argentina’s 1976-83 dictatorship, and cutting ties with Argentina’s two most important trade partners, Brazil and China. 

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yup, exactly that. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/20/who-is-javier-milei-argentina-new-president-far-right-what-does-he-stand-for

Gedan believed there would be “a lot of buyer’s remorse in Argentina” if Milei pursued even a small fraction of his ideas. Those ideas include legalising the sale of human organs, dramatically slashing social spending, downplaying the crimes of Argentina’s 1976-83 dictatorship, and cutting ties with Argentina’s two most important trade partners, Brazil and China. 

The stuff he proposes is the sort of things people would joke about proposing. Bizarre and worrying.