Videogames: All Valves on Deck

IlyaP

Monster trainer and collectors, yeah. 

I'd put Heroes more as a strategy RPG, since the fights are on a tactical map, though I can see where you're coming from. Pokemon does use the basic turn-based fight system that is traditional to JRPGs, though 1-on-1 isn't usual in the genre. 

But yeah one big difference between Pokemon and, well, most RPGs is that the story is basically unimportant (though later games and other games inspired by it put more focus on that). It's all about the collecting and then the fighting (and Pokemon's battle system is deep, though you can get through most of the single player campaigns without getting too into it and I've never really played online etc so I've never needed to delve). The monsters are typically far more important than the characters. 

17 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

JRPGs= RPGS made by Japanese studios primarily marketed towards Japanese people. Let’s keep it simple rather than getting into mechanics

It's remarkable, you managed to get almost all of that wrong 

Just now, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Haha I’m saying from a marketing perspective, clearly a lot of non Japanese people play them too.

Yep, still totally wrong but please continue, this is gonna be fun

Okay…it’s the same as anime. Made for and created primarily by the Japanese, it like anime is consumed globally and one can argue there can be anime made by western studios like Avatar but the vast majority of its content is still associated with Japan.
Done on this topic now  :rolleyes:

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

You can be done all you want, you're still wrong. 

No-one said JRPGs aren't associated primarily with Japan. We said that not all RPGs made in Japan are necessarily JRPGs. There's a reason no-one credible calls Elden Ring a JRPG even though it's a(n action) role-playing game made in Japan. 

But also indie games like Sea of Stars and Chained Echoes are clearly JRPGs even though they're made in Quebec and Germany respectively. Because, like I say, despite originating from being RPGs made in Japan, there are genre markers that we associate with that term and both those games fit them to a t. 

Edited by polishgenius

I have to say I've never heard of anyone calling a non-Japanese-made game a JRPG before. I've seen JRPG-style games used as a marker, but if you're calling something Japanese, it kinda makes sense for it to come from Japan.

That said there is also a distinct genre style to JRPGs, so whilst all JRPGs are Japanese, not all RPG-ish games made in Japan are JRPGS :D  Elden Ring - wholly reliant on twitch gameplay - definitely isn't a JRPG, even though it's not a million miles away; probably more of an action hybrid game. Of course, if people want to argue that the recent Final Fantasy titles are no longer JRPGs but have moved into action-RPG territory, that would be a valid perspective.

Anime still generally refers to animation from Japan. ATLA is an anime-style American animated show, one of a growing number, and of course you sometimes get American money paying a Japanese team to make something, where the lines blur even further (Cyberpunk: Edgerunners having American, Polish and Japanese creatives all involved in its making, or going old-skool to the French-Japanese collaborative animation boom of the mid-1980s). But calling ATLA itself anime I think would still be regarded as incorrect (ironically, not in Japanese itself where anime just means anything animated at all, so they'd call a Disney film an anime).

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

I have to say I've never heard of anyone calling a non-Japanese-made game a JRPG before. I've seen JRPG-style games used as a marker, but if you're calling something Japanese, it kinda makes sense for it to come from Japan.

That's fair, people will usually still affix the 'style' to JRPG just to make it clear. But it still goes with what we're saying overall - it's a genre label that comes with certain expectations and not just 'any JRPG made in Japan'.

Finally beat FF 7 Rebirth. Feeling a bit mixed about this ending; the original FF:7 is one of favorite games of all time. It was the first game I played growing up, to actually make me cry and start to show me, that video game story telling can be viewed as a form of art.

Not quite sure how I feel about this one, it feels like they meddled with one of the greatest moments in video game history and I'm not entirely sure if this is a good thing.

The other 95% of the game was amazing though and it made me fall in love with these characters all over again, so at least there's that.

Edited by sifth

They’re great so not sure what you’re talking about. Well IV has worse rpg options than it’s predecessors but superior combat. Vegas is a great game still. Even 76 now seems to be decent after they’ve much enough changes although not interested in coop.

edit: and yes playing numbers of every fallout game is up 3-500%. One and two are also great games but they’ve aged a bit worse than the 3d ones.

Edited by Arakasi

17 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

I’m playing New Vegas on steam deck now. Once I’m done with that I’ll move on to IV on ps5 when done. Should give time to resolve crashes.

I recently loaded up my steam deck with New Vegas. Although work has been busy as hell lately so I haven’t been able to play.

Agree that 3 and NV are better story wise, but I’m a sucker for the settlement building. Loved leveling Spectacle Island and making my own kingdom.

I've gone back to the Commonwealth 9 years later with the new FO4 update (playing on PS5). Haven't played enough yet to determine if I'll beat the game but god damn the Fallout show gave me the itch to jump back into the wasteland. 

My Fallout 4 memories from 2015 are this is starting to feel stale, the building communities thing isn't quenching my thirst, and why can't this be as good as the Witcher 3. I truly think (for me at least) that Fallout 4 took a ricochet shot from W3 coming out 6 months prior to it. Really showed you how amazing an rpg can be; no limits type of thing. Side quests/Monster contracts have a ton of heart, great cast of characters that are fleshed out, and then half a year later FO4 releases and it's like they're wheeling out the same ole thing again. Skyrim feels the same way to me on re-runs, just not as bad. I hope Bethesda can step their game up with ES6 or FO5, whatever the hell comes out next. Their formula is getting old. Didn't play Starfield so not sure how that went. 

I hope this new run gives me another perspective on the game cause I love Fallout and have spent many an hour, or days, in the wasteland between 3 and NV.

Chugging along with Dragon's Dogma 2. Fun in small bursts, great exploration, funny random moments in the wild, story leaves a lot to be desired, and your companions are about as shallow as the kiddy pool. 

Starfield bored the shit out of me, and I purchased a Xbox just for it(before I got my steam deck). Yup I’m a sucker, but what a fucking disappointment.

Loved Dragon’s Dogma, but it was such an odd game. Intrigued by the second one and have it but just haven’t played it yet.

22 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Starfield bored the shit out of me, and I purchased a Xbox just for it(before I got my steam deck). Yup I’m a sucker, but what a fucking disappointment.

Loved Dragon’s Dogma, but it was such an odd game. Intrigued by the second one and have it but just haven’t played it yet.

You can play starfield on pc with full mod support and an Xbox controller.

There is literally no reason in 2024 to own an Xbox. PS5 and Nintendo still makes sense for the exclusives

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

14 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

You can play starfield on pc with full mod support and an Xbox controller.

There is literally no reason in 2024 to own an Xbox. PS5 and Nintendo still makes sense for the exclusives

No shit. But before I owned a steam deck I only had a ps5. I don’t have a pc.