NFL 4th Quarter

DireWolfSpirit

2 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

If Tomlin was smart he’d have that Eucerin sponsorship signed and dated cause he’s about to get stroked to Pluto for going 9-8 or 10-7 this year. Romo and Nantz already got wind of it. 

Huh?

Hes getting moved out?

NFL OFFICIATING CREW IN CONTROVERSIAL LIONS-COWBOYS GAME MAY BE DOWNGRADED AHEAD OF PLAYOFFS: REPORT

Posted (edited)
On 12/31/2023 at 6:16 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I got you here and DMC in my email. Fuckers. 

I still dont think Purdy is even the MVP of his own team, let alone over St. Lamar.:D

Eta: Man week 18 gonna be the 8-8 and 9-7 fest to settle the dust.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

So the Bears have secured the #1 overall pick next year by virtue of the 2 win panthers (every other team in the league has at least 4 wins). 

Usually when a young quarterback goes on a tear he can play his team out of contention for a top 5 pick, and thus dramatically reduce the possibility of the team drafting his replacement.  Fields (and the defense) have been much better the past month, and have won 4 of their last 5, moving Chicago up from a top 3 pick to somewhere in the teens.  What is unusual about the situation is that this winning streak doesn't matter wrt Chicago's draft position, because they still own Carolina's pick and the Panthers are terrible. 

Caleb Williams is a great prospect, perhaps the best since Burrow or Lawrence (some say he's even better, but I'm skeptical).  Hard to pass on a guy like that.  Now Chicago needs to decide whether it wants to keep Fields or go with Williams.  If they move Fields they can trade him for something, but probably not a lot, maybe a 2nd rounder.  If they keep Fields they can trade the #1 overall for a treasure trove of picks and players, like they did last year.  I could easily see a team like Vegas or Tennessee or Atlanta trading 3 firsts + extras for him.  That could result in another top 5-10 pick next year with any luck, and regardless would be enough to start getting a lot of talent.  But...if Williams is as good as a lot of people say...can you really pass on him? 

Edited by Maithanet

With things the way it is in college, not sure Williams even goes first. Could very much see Drake Maye going first. He's been awesome. Will be very curious what Bears do. Personally, if I was them, I'd go QB, Fields isn't the long term answer, even though he's as athletic of a runner as there is in the league.

Edited by Mexal

Have to agree with Mex, I think the shine on Williams is gone. He might still go first, but the preseason view that he's the can't miss top pick is over.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Have to agree with Mex, I think the shine on Williams is gone. He might still go first, but the preseason view that he's the can't miss top pick is over.

Agree. He seemed rattled a lot of this season.  If I am Chicago I try to trade for as much as I can get and I may even try for a top notch OL player instead of one of the picks, to help Fields out.  Chicago looked decent down the stretch and there are games where Fields dominates, so why take the unknown, unless your GM and coach both agree that Mayes / Williams is the chosen one?

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Agree. He seemed rattled a lot of this season.  If I am Chicago I try to trade for as much as I can get and I may even try for a top notch OL player instead of one of the picks, to help Fields out.  Chicago looked decent down the stretch and there are games where Fields dominates, so why take the unknown, unless your GM and coach both agree that Mayes / Williams is the chosen one?

Yeah, if Chicago can go back a spot or two for a haul,

I think the dream scenario is trading that Panther's pick (wow was that dumb of them in hindsight) to get Harvin Marrison Jr. and then use their other top 10 pick on either the best OL or EDGE (love the new terminology) they can get. Plus, if Fields fails they can still trade him next year for something and use the picks to make a trade up if they fall in love with someone from the next QB class. 

If Fields gets another year with a more talented Bears squad and still can't put it together he might not have a lot of value.  But that isn't really the primary concern.  The draft order is still TBD, but if they could trade that #1 pick for another top 10 pick and 2-3 future 1/2 round picks, then they would definitely have a draft haul that would allow them to make any move they wanted in the 2025 draft if so desired.  The problem with that approach is that the quarterbacks available next year might not be as good as this year. 

10 hours ago, Maithanet said:

If Fields gets another year with a more talented Bears squad and still can't put it together he might not have a lot of value.  But that isn't really the primary concern.  The draft order is still TBD, but if they could trade that #1 pick for another top 10 pick and 2-3 future 1/2 round picks, then they would definitely have a draft haul that would allow them to make any move they wanted in the 2025 draft if so desired.  The problem with that approach is that the quarterbacks available next year might not be as good as this year. 

Well if they trade #1 for 10-15 range pick(and several others) they can have their choice of a 2nd tier QB from this class if they wanted to. I know the draft hype train hasn't started yet but, Williams, Maye are going in top 4. Then you have Daniels, Ewers, Penix, McCarthy, Nix etc. who will be there later for a much less valuable pick. You could draft one of them and if Fields shows no progress try the rookie QB out half way through the season. In theory you would be putting the rookie into a better position talent wise than Fields had when he first started.

30 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Well if they trade #1 for 10-15 range pick(and several others) they can have their choice of a 2nd tier QB from this class if they wanted to. I know the draft hype train hasn't started yet but, Williams, Maye are going in top 4. Then you have Daniels, Ewers, Penix, McCarthy, Nix etc. who will be there later for a much less valuable pick. You could draft one of them and if Fields shows no progress try the rookie QB out half way through the season. In theory you would be putting the rookie into a better position talent wise than Fields had when he first started.

Idk, I think we're going to see another run on QBs were 4-5 go high. This draft class, at least from what I've read, only has a few desirable players from other positions, but has a ton of depth that are dice rolls. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk, I think we're going to see another run on QBs were 4-5 go high. This draft class, at least from what I've read, only has a few desirable players from other positions, but has a ton of depth that are dice rolls. 

I've seen the opposite, two tackles in top 10, two WR's and the TE from Georgia, and teams always reach for two DE/Edge in the top 10. That only leaves 2-3 spots.  Of course between now and then this will all change plus some combine wonder boy will sneak up the boards.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Purdy and Stafford both sitting out the game this weekend… my Sunday Ticket gonna let me watch the Sam Darnold show.

I hope SF wins. If Dallas locks up 2 spot I don't wanna see a hot Rams team in round 1. 

8 hours ago, dbunting said:

I hope SF wins. If Dallas locks up 2 spot I don't wanna see a hot Rams team in round 1. 

I think I said a page or two back, the Rams are the one team I don’t want to see.  They aren’t good, I don’t see any possibility they win three games in a row to get to the Super Bowl; but they have all the pieces to be dangerous in a one game scenario to anyone.

I had to Google to see who the Rams back up QB was.  Completely forgot they signed Carson Wentz.  A few years ago, Darnold v Wentz would have been considered a titanic battle of up and comers.

I would be very surprised if one of the remaining qbs (probably either Penix or Daniels) didn't shoot into the top 8 picks.  Stroud really demonstrated that if you get a great qb, it doesn't even matter if the rest of your team is mediocre.  It's why I expect Chicago to eventually talk themselves into trading Fields and drafting a qb #1.  Because if that guy is a baller, nothing else matters.   

On 12/31/2023 at 4:09 PM, Tywin et al. said:

And Tua's training on how to fall got him hurt.

To be more accurate, two guys jumping on Tua when he's already slid down about 4 yards in front of the line to gain while down 30 or so in the 4th quarter got him hurt.  Pretty much the inverse in every way of the discussion from a few weeks ago about hitting a qb going for the first down.  Probably should have been a flag there really.  Entirely unnecessary.  Context matters.

23 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

To be more accurate, two guys jumping on Tua when he's already slid down about 4 yards in front of the line to gain while down 30 or so in the 4th quarter got him hurt.  Pretty much the inverse in every way of the discussion from a few weeks ago about hitting a qb going for the first down.  Probably should have been a flag there really.  Entirely unnecessary.  Context matters.

Nah, it was very mild. Some dudes just get hurt a lot. And no chance there should be a flag there.