Watch, Watched, Watching: From Scott Civil Wars to Christmas Movie Wars

Veltigar

I always remember watching Heat back to back with The Usual Suspects, when I was tired and drained, and to this day keep thinking that Heat ends with a big reveal of a pinboard where the whole thing was made up by Kevin Spacey. I also remember Brad Pitt shouting 'What's in the box!!'.. so I assume I have some level of brain damage.

I'm not actually sure how much I enjoyed Heat, which is annoying.

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

the only thing they should change about heat is edit out Val Kilmer's weird as fuck elbow. 

Damn, I never noticed it before, but it leaps right out in his first scene getting the explosives. 

Apparently it was the result of an injury filming The Doors back in 1991, that led to a weird growth.

I watched Saltburn today and I thought it was way too long. On balance I mostly enjoyed it but also found it a bit empty thematically. It was lucky to have Rosamund Pike doing some heavy lifting. I also enjoyed the Carey Mulligan cameo. The other performances were fine now that I come to think about it. That wasn't the issue. I don't know, I think it thought it was a bit cleverer than it actually was. I saw someone on Bluesky earlier say that the film is a bit like someone on coke, where they think they are being really cool and clever the whole time but they don't actually have much to say even though they never stop talking. I think they nailed it in that comment.

Finished Devs tonight.

My feeling is the exact opposite of what I had while watching Beacon 23, that was very entertaining, but whose plot ended up being disappointing. Devs was a weird show, a bit slow and frustrating, with few characters and little world-building. Its eerie atmosphere doesn't make it particularly rivetting, and the acting is peculiar, deadpan even in the most intense turning points. Its ending however magnifies and explains the choices made throughout the show, elevating the entire show to an artistic version of an old philosophical question. I really like Offerman in this, and I suppose Mizuno was excellent for her role.

Spoiler

Oddly enough I'd say Devs fails as a science-fiction story, but works as a metafiction.

Is there a thread for Blue Eye Samurai? I really enjoyed it, but at the same time, I’m thinking it may have been better if I had waited until the show was over and binge-watched it. It left me wanting more, but there were some characters who fell flat for me and I think I may have felt differently if I watched the characters’ arcs from beginning to end.

Spoiler

I think the most challenging part for me coming away from BES is how much suspension of disbelief is too much, both in terms of the fight scenes (how the hell is Mizu still alive? How do her and Taigen’s injuries heal so fast?) and general storylines (the sleazy pimp is a complete gentleman to Akemi for some reason, and she just happens to get a client who is aroused by poetry). 

Edited by The Bard of Banefort

5 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Is there a thread for Blue Eye Samurai?

Not a specific one, but there was some discussion in the Anime thread (for lack of a better place), starting here.

Spoiler

I rolled with Mizu's superhuman abilities and all, it's really just in keeping with its origins. 

The pimp, it's clear that he's overwhelmed by the fact that she's going to be a very lucrative score for him, because of her beauty and her fine manners. Some hint he might have wanted to sample the wares would have been interesting, but OTOH I could see his not wanting to risk anything that might sour her willingness to follow along (if he has to manhandle her, there might be bruising),

5 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Is there a thread for Blue Eye Samurai? I really enjoyed it, but at the same time, I’m thinking it may have been better if I had waited until the show was over and binge-watched it. It left me wanting more, but there were some characters who fell flat for me and I think I may have felt differently if I watched the characters’ arcs from beginning to end.

Reveal hidden contents

I think the most challenging part for me coming away from BES is how much suspension of disbelief is too much, both in terms of the fight scenes (how the hell is Mizu still alive? How do her and Taigen’s injuries heal so fast?) and general storylines (the sleazy pimp is a complete gentleman to Akemi for some reason, and she just happens to get a client who is aroused by poetry). 

I had a problem with that as first as well

Spoiler

Particularly the fight scenes and her doing ridiculous things like chopping a tree in half, but I learned to live with that over time, since I realized the reason BES exists is to basically serve as a homage to old, pulpy Samurai films.

In that way, it's very similar to something like Kill Bill: Vol 1 (particularly the final fight). The fighting there is more about style and emotion than it is aiming towards realism. In fact, I would argue that the exaggeration is the point and that the artistic merit of a scene primarily comes from how inventive the show can be with this exaggeration.

That's why something like the sword forged from a meteor annoyed me, because it is cliché as fuck but then there were other fight scenes where I felt like the show was doing some stylistically new things (like ripping out someone's teeth with a pole weapon in that brothel fight scenes) and then I didn't care about the fact that she should be lying on the ground, bleeding out by that point.

Spoiler

They keep calling Mizu a demon, and she's basically become one in her quest for revenge. Definitely a big trope in chanbara and anime.

Belatedly watched Murder is Easy, which was the two part Agatha Christie offering in the UK this Christmas, starring Morfydd Clark. It was ok in that kind of modernised Christie TV show way. The cinematography was very good, lots of striking imagery and use of colour. Overall a bit bland though. However, it was interesting to watch it on the same day as Saltburn because both feature quite a few deaths that nobody really seems to register or care very much about. :)