Watch, Watched, Watching: From Scott Civil Wars to Christmas Movie Wars

Veltigar

Based on the recommendation of the board, I decided to give Blue-Eyed Samurai a try. I am now three episodes in and I have been enjoying myself so far. That being said, there are elements in this series that I both hate and love. On the love side, I think the visuals are great. Love the aesthetic and the way the action is rendered. I also think the voice work is very strong and that the characters are well-drawn out for now. It sort of feels like an R-rated update of the type of story ATLA season 1 tried to tell, which I also think is quite a good basis for solid entertainment.

On the bad side of the ledger, the series relies a lot on tired cliches. I roll my eyes whenever someone uses a sword to do something completely impossible like cutting down a thick tree of chopping down a table in half. Since this show tends to do that quite a lot, it does break my immersion. I also puked a little in my mouth when the story chose to foreground the fact that she made her sword from a fallen star... I know meteoric iron was a thing and perhaps I'd be more forgiving if this was set during the bronze age, but the inclusion of this type of cliché does make me a bit worried about the rest of the show.

Spoiler

I'm also not entirely sold on the whole "let's kill the protagonist because she has blue eyes" If I'm getting the period correct, white people might be banned from mainland Japan but I'm pretty sure that the extensive contact the Japanese had before this time with white traders and their continued trade with the Dutch would have been enough to not have people go entirely crazy whenever they saw someone with blue eyes.

That being said, it's the premiss of the story so I don't want to think about it to hard.

I still haven’t finished Blue Eyed Samurai, and maybe there is a reason for that. When it’s good I love it however. 

Episodes 5&6 together are some of the best tv I’ve seen. Just incredible. 

I do suspect the pacing of the show could be improved a little which is why I tend to lose interest sometimes, but partly that is on me. 

I think a lot of the cliche stuff is maybe on purpose, it’s almost like the show is trying to create a myth or mirror existing myths. 

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

I see polishgenius' blasphemy got the other thread locked. 

If the Dark Knight Rises and Begins are bad, there are not good movies realesed in 2023, Oppenheimer is a good movie as the new Batman, nothing more. 

Trilogy Batman produced the best batman movies, then Tim Burton Batman where Jack Nicholson played Joker was good too. 

Edited by KingAerys_II

2 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

If the Dark Knight Rises and Begins are bad

Begins and TDK are great.

TDKR is rubbish. It has a bunch of really good moments individually, but as a whole it's a mess of bad pacing, wonky character work, and an ending that tries to have its cake and eat it and ends up shitting on the cake. The latest Batman is a way better movie.

4 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I see polishgenius' blasphemy got the other thread locked. 

The mods can't handle the truth. 

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

There we two threads w/ the same title, now the other seems to be gone. Maybe you posted n the other one?

Lol. I give up. I had just about typed the whole thing a second time and saw you quoted me and looked at this post and lost my post again! The only reason I looked at this is so I wouldn't double post the other one!

Speaking of Star Wars the producers stated that there was no material, I mean, they could have looked at Emperor Valkorion, Darth Revan, Darth Nihilus, Darth Plagueis, they could have invented a different villain, they revived a dead character, the prophecy about Anakin is now totally broken, he was the chosen one

Edited by KingAerys_II

11 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Speaking of Star Wars the producers stated that there was no material, I mean, they could have looked at Emperor Valkorion, Darth Revan, Darth Nihilus, Darth Plagueis, they could have invented a different villain, they revived a dead character, the prophecy about Anakin is now totally broken, he was the chosen one

Supposedly the original villain was supposed to be the son from clone wars. He kinda looks like Snoke if you squint a little. 

They shifted gears after TLJ. 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

TDKR is rubbish. It has a bunch of really good moments individually, but as a whole it's a mess of bad pacing, wonky character work, and an ending that tries to have its cake and eat it and ends up shitting on the cake. The latest Batman is a way better movie.

with a horrible message, copganda bullshit

Watched Godzilla minus 1 on a large screen theater. Didn't know going into it that it was in subtitles so that took away from my experience a little. Not your typical Godzilla movie, not a big budget CGI fest. Was actually a pretty good movie, good plot and well acted.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

For the most part, kinda? It's a weird movie to analyze. Tom Hardy's Bane is awesome and Anne Hathaway is pretty good as Catwoman. The other lead actors do a decent job with what they're given, but the story is pretty clunky (you just have to laugh at how Bruce's broken back gets fixed). It's more rewatchable than The Batman, I don't think that's hard to debate, however the latter is a better film overall, especially if you prefer the darker take on the character which lines up pretty well with Year One (if you like comics, get this one). 

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Tom Hardy's Bane is awesome

Yeah but then one of the things I hate most about the film is that, because it's playing silly buggers and hiding Talia behind pretty much every aspect of him, both his actions and his myth, he pretty much ends up being the exact same character as the Bane in Batman & Robin when you actually count it up. Almost the only part of the film where we know he's acting on his own character is his very last line. 

(that's a little hyperbolic by me, but honestly, not that much).

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

especially if you prefer the darker take on the character which lines up pretty well with Year One (if you like comics, get this one). 

It's also an excellent twist on Long Halloween, taking the vibe while changing every detail so it still functions as a mystery. 

Nolan tried to do way too much in TDKR and it felt very rushed -- especially at the end. Also, trying to take a city hostage and leaving it's police force alive in the sewers as a form of imprisonment is just-in-your-face comicbook silliness. And everyone and their mother knew Marion Cotillard was Talia Al-Ghul. I didn't actually mind that Bane turns out to just be a bodyguard in the end but Talia's reveal just didn't do it for me.

ETA: I didn't think it was a bad movie but it's certainly the weakest of the 3 and could have been fixed with better sound and editing.

Edited by WarGalley