Watch, Watched, Watching: From Scott Civil Wars to Christmas Movie Wars

Veltigar

Just now, polishgenius said:

:dunno: Mileage may vary.

Tbf I like Watchmen, I just find the end infuriating. But TDKR, as we established beyond doubt a couple pages ago, is rubbish. 

Ha, I mean I really like TDKR, but I get you don’t. 

Just seems strange to hold up a mediocrity like Top Gun as an example of great modern movie making.

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Just seems strange to hold up a mediocrity like Top Gun as an example of great modern movie making.

I suppose it depends what you mean by 'great'. I don't think it's gonna define an era of movies or anything, but it hit the spot for me (and evidently quite a few others). 

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I suppose it depends what you mean by 'great'. I don't think it's gonna define an era of movies or anything, but it hit the spot for me (and evidently quite a few others). 

Well,  just as a point of comparison I don’t think it’s a strong one. I wouldn’t put top gun maverick in any list of best movies.

Maybe some people liked it and definitely is going to be better as a big screen experience, but personally I found it pretty dull and the actual plot is pretty garbage and unsatisfying. I left with a ‘is that it??’ Feeling.

EEAAO however I think is a great movie. 

But in terms of big screen blockbuster movies, we are definitely getting less good ones these days. But then you can balance that out with the improvement in TV shows. 

Edited by Heartofice

2 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

saying that the problem with movies is that they have a message or a political "agenda" is so wierd to me, like movies are an artistic expression, art is political. so wtf are people expecting of movies?

Entertainment? Bit of variety in the message?

24 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Entertainment? Bit of variety in the message?

what message do you think is lacking?

there a lots and lots of movies you can see that will entertain you, some of them with political undertones, some of them overtly political, majority of them entertaining to some degree. and if you think there are no diference in the kinds of message i must say you should look more into it cuz there is defenitly movies and tv shows with different kinds of messages, some of wich im sure you will apreciate.

8 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

what message do you think is lacking?

How many movies get made with a more traditional conservative viewpoint? How many serve as a counterpoint to modern ‘woke’ movie making? 

I guess Top Gun gets held up by some more right wing voices simply because the political left wing messaging is mostly abscent, and because it dares to bring back a male lead and not have him torn apart by a young female counterpart for being male. Either way it has less overt political messaging than many modern movies. 

I think it’s the overt nature of much of these movies that gets such a reaction. Just look at the backlash to the Snow White stuff. Trying to turn a traditional tale into some bullshit about female empowerment circa 2016 of course is going to irritate. Clearly the makers thought there was so need to push a message over telling a good story, and there are many examples of that. 

17 hours ago, WarGalley said:

In the TDKR, Bane's mask provides a constant painkilling gas (due to some mysterious physical injury which he suffered in the Pit) which is supposed to explain why none of Bruce's blows in the initial fight seem to physically hurt him. Only till one of the pins in his mask comes loose in the final fight is when he begins to feel the effects of the fight. 

I know the pain killing part, it's just that his mask in TDKR, while cool, isn't all that convincing in that specific area. 

Also, how does he eat?

12 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Nah, not even slightly. His whole thing is that he's 'the man who broke the Bat'. Came in from nowhere, took over Gotham's underworld, wore down Batman by sending villains at him, then broke his back. Other times he's been a sort of anti-villain, working with Batman to take down worse enemies and try to find his father, though obviously you couldn't introduce him like that. More recently he's apparently been back on his Bat-breaking horse in Tom King's run, but that was after TDKR came out so it couldn't influence it. Either way though, he usually works for himself, especially in his most iconic moments.

There is one run where he worked with Ra's, apparently, but even then he's set up as being Ra's heir and Talia's chosen husband, ie basically Ra's potential replacement for Batman. Haven't read that one, though. 

You might be thinking of his portrayal in Secret Six, I suppose, where he isn't always the leader of the group. 

I'm not as well versed as you are, I read maybe a half dozen or so Batman comics during the pandemic, but when he showed up in those I did he just seemed like a side player. 

I'll never understand the over the top love for Maverick. The acting is pretty wooden outside of Teller's. The story is incredibly basic. The romance subplot is cringe. It just relies on nostalgia from a movie that wasn't that good anyways and look, planes are doing cool things. If it was released today or prior to the pandemic it would not be as celebrated.  

Ahsoka, The Boys, Gen V are even better than House of the Dragon to me. 

The TV series the Boys is better than the comics, Soldier Boy and Black Noir are better in the show. 

Ashoka is very good, it's the best thing Disney has ever produced so far, they produced Rogue One that was excellent, but the trilogy is a mess, totally wrong. 

My 18 year old son asked me to reinstate Disney+ for this. It's his favorite series he read growing up.

I guess it's his Lord of the Rings, in a way. Or maybe his "Harry Potter" would be a better comparison. I hope it's at least better than the movie.

Leave the World Behind Netflix,  decent movie with good performances, but mostly forgettable overall.

Spoiler

So why were the deer acting menacing at the one point and yet the youngest girl thought they were communicating w her?  How did flamingos fly that far in one day?

I kept wanting to tell the girl how Friends ended for Ross and Rachel!

Obliterated Netflix, a ridiculous 8 episode shoot em up. Kind of felt like the The Hangover meets The Expendables and not taking itself seriously, makes plenty of fun of itself. If you want to kill some time watch this, if you are looking for a plot or art do not.

Squid Games the Challenge also on Netflix, pretty fun reality game show. Moves at a good pace until the last episode and a half, then it feels slow. 

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

How many movies get made with a more traditional conservative viewpoint?

many many many movies, specially if we are talking idk 10 years ago?5 years ago? i mean you have like 70 years of movies with traditional conservative viewpoints. but even now there is no shortage of this kind of movies.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'll never understand the over the top love for Maverick. The acting is pretty wooden outside of Teller's. The story is incredibly basic. The romance subplot is cringe. It just relies on nostalgia from a movie that wasn't that good anyways and look, planes are doing cool things. If it was released today or prior to the pandemic it would not be as celebrated.  

I think it's the spectacle and nostalgia of it, but yeah, it was a fun flick but it's not even as good as the original. Felt very by-the-numbers.

28 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

many many many movies, specially if we are talking idk 10 years ago?5 years ago? i mean you have like 70 years of movies with traditional conservative viewpoints. but even now there is no shortage of this kind of movies.

Funnily enough I’m not talking about 10 years ago. What recently?