Football: VARying degrees of dissatisfaction inside.

A Horse Named Stranger

You think that money wasn't a factor in Liverpool's success back in '70s and '80s? Or that financial advantage wasn't a factor in United winning all those trophies under Fergie? It just wasn't THIS MUCH money, but the principle is the same.

Just now, baxus said:

You think that money wasn't a factor in Liverpool's success back in '70s and '80s? Or that financial advantage wasn't a factor in United winning all those trophies under Fergie? It just wasn't THIS MUCH money, but the principle is the same.

Surely you'd agree there's a difference between money generated organically and money injected in significant amounts over a short period of time by an oligarch?

I guess one thing to take into account is the money gap started becoming an issue when the premier league started, about a decade before oligarchs entered the scene. The successful clubs rocketed ahead of the rest in the 90s because of TV rights.

To think that when Man United won the league in 1993, the runners up were Villa and Norwich. Shows how things have changed.

Just now, Darryk said:

Surely you'd agree there's a difference between money generated organically and money injected in significant amounts over a short period of time by an oligarch?

But that's the objection that started the whole discussion with BFC. He seems to resent "top" clubs having an advantage that they built over decades of success. 

Either way, until City and Chelsea are found guilty of major transgressions that would strip them of trophies, their trophy hauls ARE much bigger than Villa's. ;) 

38 minutes ago, baxus said:

But that's the objection that started the whole discussion with BFC. He seems to resent "top" clubs having an advantage that they built over decades of success. 

Either way, until City and Chelsea are found guilty of major transgressions that would strip them of trophies, their trophy hauls ARE much bigger than Villa's. ;) 

Are you including charity shield/super cup/club world cup? 

They are glorified friendlies, we can't seriously include them as honours. 

I dont resent their inbuilt advantage though I don't think it makes sense. Why does winning loads of trophies in the 70s like Liverpool  or having a plane crash entitle you to an ongoing sporting advantage? Why do past achievements allow you to a greater chance of current glory?

When sky spent loads of money on cycling it was great, it shook up the status quo.  I just strongly resent nobody else having the opportunity to dine at that table.

If newcastle/city takeovers were flipped we would have 6 league titles etc. And they would be sat on the sidelines looking in. And it would still be a closed shop. Which I hate. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

1 hour ago, baxus said:

Please, remind me which players have City brought from the academy? Only one that comes to mind at the moment is Foden. Anyone else?

Mainly I was thinking about Foden and Rico Lewis, I guess there is also Cole Palmer. There are a few others but probably those are the most high profile recent ones 

Newcastle fans just need to wait a while until the totally legit Saudi and Saudi-affiliated 'sponsorships' start stacking up then they'll have no FFP issues. Newcastle does not actually have any serious problems with the PL's financial controls. UEFA's financial controls are stricter though and Newcastle's progress under Howe has been more rapid than anticipated so the club needed to comply with UEFA's FFP sooner than they thought and the sports washing project hasn't had enough time to develop yet.

42 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Newcastle fans just need to wait a while until the totally legit Saudi and Saudi-affiliated 'sponsorships' start stacking up then they'll have no FFP issues. Newcastle does not actually have any serious problems with the PL's financial controls. UEFA's financial controls are stricter though and Newcastle's progress under Howe has been more rapid than anticipated so the club needed to comply with UEFA's FFP sooner than they thought and the sports washing project hasn't had enough time to develop yet.

I feel they have missed a trick by not sponsoring the gallowgate stand. Would fit right in with their regimes policies.  

17 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Are you including charity shield/super cup/club world cup? 

They are glorified friendlies, we can't seriously include them as honours.

Well, whether they should be counted or not is another story. As things stand, they are included and that's the number of trophies clubs in question have won. Feel free to go through the list and update it to include only the trophies you see fit.

I dont resent their inbuilt advantage though I don't think it makes sense. Why does winning loads of trophies in the 70s like Liverpool  or having a plane crash entitle you to an ongoing sporting advantage? Why do past achievements allow you to a greater chance of current glory?

Why does making it to top 4 last season entitle Newcastle to play in this year's CL? It's a past achievement that gave them a chance of current glory, isn't it?

Winning trophies bring fans, and brings more money into the club, which in turn allows the club to invest more in players, stadium, training ground, academy etc. which in turn increases a chance of future success. It's accumulated benefits of hard work over long period of time. I can't believe that something this basic need explanation.

I just strongly resent nobody else having the opportunity to dine at that table.

Everyone does have an opportunity to dine at that table. That doesn't mean that everyone will have the same experience over dinner. Some will enjoy new tastes of food and drink, some will have great conversations with people in their vicinity, some will have too much to drink and make fools of themselves, some might get an important phone call and have to leave... that doesn't mean they weren't given an opportunity to dine at that table. 

Everyone gets a shot at playing in the same league and competing against each other under the specific set of rules. No one has more points than the rest at the start of the season, no one is given extra points because they have this much money or a stadium this big or their squad has the best score on FIFA or whatever.

You don't want your club to dine at the table, you want your club to cut the line and get in front because their daddy's rich and you think that entitles them to preferential treatment.

17 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Mainly I was thinking about Foden and Rico Lewis, I guess there is also Cole Palmer. There are a few others but probably those are the most high profile recent ones 

Cole Palmer is at Chelsea, so not sure why count him since he wasn't brought into the team, but sold at first opportunity.

15 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

We're fucked. City will have another title.

As BFC said, we expected him to be out for about that long. Also, while he is our best attacking player, front three positions are the most stacked I've ever seen at Liverpool. There are so many options there, and with Jota killing it recently I'm confident Liverpool can pull through.

19 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Reports that Newcastle have rejected a €15m offer from Bayern for Trippier.

That sounds insultingly low. I know that Newcastle are desperate to sell, but I doubt that much will make any difference to them.

7 minutes ago, baxus said:

That sounds insultingly low. I know that Newcastle are desperate to sell, but I doubt that much will make any difference to them.

I mean, he's 33 and will be 34 early in next season. It's not really an unreasonable offer and Newcastle do have a really good young rightback in Livramento. It really depends on how much Newcastle think his services will be worth to them over the next year or so. :dunno:

I don't think Newcastle should sell Trippier now. The injuries have made their squad thin and they are already prepared to sell Almiron (in talks with a Saudi club) and possibly Lascelles too (apparently there's an offer from a Turkish club). Trippier is also an important creative player for them even though he's dropped off defensively in the last few months.

I also don't think Bayern should spend €15m or more on Trippier - they should wait until the end of the season and sort out a deal for a longer term option like Sacha Boey or Nordi Mukiele. This looks like something that Tuchel is pushing for and he shouldn't be given so much power over transfers because his judgement in the transfer market is largely shit. Bayern also loaned out Josip Stanisic (who can play RB and CB) to Leverkusen and he's been doing pretty well.