Football: VARying degrees of dissatisfaction inside.

A Horse Named Stranger

56 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I don't think Newcastle should sell Trippier now. The injuries have made their squad thin and they are already prepared to sell Almiron (in talks with a Saudi club) and possibly Lascelles too (apparently there's an offer from a Turkish club). Trippier is also an important creative player for them even though he's dropped off defensively in the last few months.

I also don't think Bayern should spend €15m or more on Trippier - they should wait until the end of the season and sort out a deal for a longer term option like Sacha Boey or Nordi Mukiele. This looks like something that Tuchel is pushing for and he shouldn't be given so much power over transfers because his judgement in the transfer market is largely shit. Bayern also loaned out Josip Stanisic (who can play RB and CB) to Leverkusen and he's been doing pretty well.

They loaned him out with Tuchel expecting furhter enforcements on the RB and DM positions arriving. Namely Cancelo on a new loan deal on RB. After that deal didn't materialize Tuchel wasn't too happy with the situation and there were immediate questions about the loan (which was designed to give Stanisic more playing time instead of being a rotation options, when Mazraoui and another more senior RB are injured).

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

Giving up Trippier is a tricky one, he hasn't been his best this season, but he brings a lot behind the scenes apparently and is a great role model (apart from putting his dick in anything that moves). 

Tino is the future and i don't think we lose much by him slotting in (other than depth).  I'd much rather lose Trippier, Almiron and Lascalles (or other squad players that aren't up to it) than have to sell Bruno or Isak though.  That being said, if we sell those 3 and we pick up more injuries, we are going to struggle to even finish where we currently are.  

Liverpool: Kelleher, Gomez, Van Dijk, Diaz, Nunez, Mac Allister, Gakpo, Elliott, Gravenberch, Quansah, Bradley.

Subs: Alisson, Konate, Jones, Jota, Robertson, Clark, McConnell, Beck, Nyoni.

I expected such a lineup. Not bad and we do have Jota and Robbo to come on if we need them. Jones too.

In Bundesliga news.

Kane has failed to set a new record for most goal during the first half of the season. Bayern won their post-poned game against Union yesterday 1-0 (Guerreiro scored), but Kane failed to find the net (well he scored one, but that was scratched off due to Sane (who gave the assist) being offside).

Most notable scene was Union's new headcoach, Bjelica, receiving a red card for hitting Sane ('74). Sane tried to take a ball off from Bjelica to take a throw in. After the match he complained that Sane entered his zone to provoke him.

Klopp is showing a lot of trust in youth for squad depth as Quansah and Bradley started in the back four, and Clark was a MF sub.  That’s on top of Elliott (20), Gravenberch (21) and Jones (22) regularly starting.

The early goal from Diaz was valuable but then they didn’t score another despite dominating most of the match.  Fulham had a late flourish as Liverpool’s subs left the team slightly disjointed, but overall it was solid game management in a second-leg game.

Robertson, TAA and Szoboszlai are all expected back soon.  We could really use that boost.  The players have shown great determination to continue winning despite so many absences but some reinforcements would help a lot before more fatigue injuries accrue.  Bradley, for example, cannot be used to the sudden intensity of successive games — I doubt a League One loan prepares a player that well for the PL level.

Well football is football. So playing at senior level against men instead of kids is important. Sure Championship would've been better than League One (in terms of quality). I don't think in terms of intensity it makes that much of a difference. EPL players are quicker (not just in the sense of running faster, but also mentally) and better technically. That's probably the main differences. Ohterwise players in League One get paid to play, and their livelihoods depends on them performing well (and maybe get a move to a club higher up in the foodchain and a better payday). It's not like a sunday league or something.

Youth level tends to lack a bit of physicality/intensity in comparission.

Looks like Bayern are going to be forced into making an emergency signing or two in defence. Laimer, Upamecano and Kimmich all went down with injuries in their last game against Union Berlin. Laimer is reportedly out for six weeks and Upamecano for a few weeks as well.

depends a bit on how quick they have Kim back, if Klinsmann manages to S. Korea eliminated before the Semi-finals that would make life for Bayern easier. RB is still their biggest issue. Mazraoui is injured and at the AFCON (and yes, Tuchel was super happy, that Morocco nominated an injured player). Laimer and Kimmich are the senior players, who did fill in. DM is funnily enough less of an issue, as one of their academy players (Pavlovic) has played fairly well there before the winterbreak.

Bayern are rumoredly giving the Mukiele transfer another go, but PSG have shot their attempts down thus far. Boey's their alternative.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Bayern are rumoredly giving the Mukiele transfer another go, but PSG have shot their attempts down thus far. Boey's their alternative.

There are reports that an agreement has been reached for Boey (€20m + add-ons). Boey was also left out of Galatasaray's squad for their game today.

That really came out of the blue. Sad to see him go, wish him all the best in the future.

Whoever comes after Klopp will have big shoes to fill and I wish him the best of luck.

Liverpool are fucked, there are no managers who can do what he does with the budget he has.  Also it is madness to announce it in advance, why not wait until the end of the season.  I wonder if Eddie is worried, offer him all of the Saudi Gold, maybe he fancies going head to head with Pep with a similar budget (eventually)

4 minutes ago, baxus said:

Whoever comes after Klopp will have big shoes to fill and I wish him the best of luck.

Xabi Alonso seems to be the immediate favourite and a fairly logical choice, though Big Ange is a Liverpool fan and his style has some similarities to Klopp (though Klopp at Liverpool developed an ability to be pragmatic Ange hasn't shown yet), so... maybe? 

This has obviously been brewing for a while now, and I wouldn't be surprised if the club and Klopp agreed to put a lid on it until the club has made arrangements for a replacement.

It will be interesting to see what Klopp does next. He looks a bit tired to me and might take a break. Also, he was saying he'd like to take over as Germany head coach so that might be an option after Euros. Bayern would definitely be on the lookout for a new manager if they lose the title. What's the status of Ancelotti at Real? He was supposed to take Brazil, but that was stopped, right?

Ancelotti extended his contract with Real to 2026.

Bayern could be a destination for Klopp. Tuchel hasn't exactly been setting the world alight and imo has Bayern playing their worst football since Kovac. Depends how much time Klopp plans to take off, I suppose.

Would be great for the German NT as well but I think he might prefer taking another club job. He seems to be the type who enjoys the day-to-day stuff so NT management might not appeal to him just yet.

Think Alonso would be high up on Liverpool's list. Klopp is a big loss but Liverpool having a strong structure above the manager mitigates the loss somewhat.

Edited by Consigliere