Star Wars: Far Far Away From What You Want It To Be

SpaceChampion

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

The Volume is really good at doing a certain number of things, and The Mandalorian employed those things really well.

The main problem since then is that everyone started using the Volume for every single thing whether it was a good idea or not. So the vast arctic alien landscape in S1 of The Mandalorian obviously makes sense to do in the Volume. Something they also did that was great was moving, dangerous environments, so all the stuff with the sandcrawler on Tatooine in the Mando vs. Jawa incident was excellent.

Since then, we've seen quite a lot of "using the Volume to create a perfectly ordinary fucking forest, of which apparently they have none in California or Britain," which is where it falls over, as when the Volume is compared to a 100% real environment it falls apart almost instantly. When you're using it to do absolutely crazy environments that cannot exist in reality but they want the actor to react to it, it makes sense. Doing Dune on location 100% absolutely added to the effect, which sticking it in the Volume would not have done.

I also had some issues where House of the Dragon recreated real locations or sets previously used on GoT in the Volume - or Warner Brothers' non-copyright-infringing-equivalent - and it looked fucking awful because we were used to the real thing (the long causeway steps on Dragonstone come to mind).

Peter Jackson receiving a list of actresses from Weinstein not to use in the Lord of the Rings movies and him just following it without thinking about it until like 20 years later is a bit wild as well. I must admit I also found Jackson's fawning attitude to Weinstein after he fucked him over on LotR to be a bit odd.

How did Harvey Weinstein fuck him over ? Infact he let PJ float the rights to making the LOTR films to other studios while taking a small cut in return. He could’ve just refused Jackson and gone ahead with a different director for his single movie idea. 

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

This is about where I tapped out. This scene in particular screamed out green screen/volume to me and I was completely de-immersed. It looked dreadful. Why not just use a physical location?

Worse than the lack of locations is the fact that most of the show is too fucking dark to even see what the fuck is happening, this was my biggest gripe. I mean I know people really liked HOTD but personally I enjoyed GoT S1-4 waay more and consider it to be a far superior series. No illogical race swapping either which makes no sense. 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Worse than the lack of locations is the fact that most of the show is too fucking dark to even see what the fuck is happening

Caveat: I've not watched GoT (tried watching a few eps and preferred what was in my head after reading the books. Don't @ me :P )

Wasn't this a gripe that some viewers had with GoT in one of the later seasons? An episode or two near the end where it was regularly quite dark?

3 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Caveat: I've not watched GoT (tried watching a few eps and preferred what was in my head after reading the books. Don't @ me :P )

Wasn't this a gripe that some viewers had with GoT in one of the later seasons? An episode or two near the end where it was regularly quite dark?

Yeah but that was in the last two seasons, I was referring to the quality in 1-4, which ain’t no masterpiece, but definitely better than HOTD. I got introduced to the books via the show which is probably why I saw it till the end. 

2 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Yeah but that was in the last two seasons, I was referring to the quality in 1-4, which ain’t no masterpiece, but definitely better than HOTD.

Better from a technology/quality of the filming perspective, or from a more macro, collectively, music, acting, etc.?

9 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Better from a technology/quality of the filming perspective, or from a more macro, collectively, music, acting, etc.?

Mostly macro but also quality wise it felt more real than the locations used in HOTD(probably stemming from over use of Volume), also it was shot in better lighting (until the last 2 seasons) 

I wonder who spoiled Asoiafs ending for you if you havent seen the show :P

Until you guys mentioned here, I had no idea HOTD had used the Volume. So I have no idea what you all are talking about poor visual quality in the show. The only poor visuals I recall was one scene on the beach with Daemon and Rhaenyra which was supposed to be at night.

I knew they used the Volume for the causeway scenes, but honestly I thought that was a good use of it, and it worked for me. And of course I think it was an excellent thing to use for dragon flight scenes.

Yeah I mentally used HotD and Rings of Power as a comparison of how to present landscapes and construct shots in a believable way, and 90% of the HotD came out ahead. I was always very impressed with how much HotD's effects were mostly unnoticeable. Complaints about the lighting are just bizarre (get a better tv set up if you can't see) as it's use of lighting that often helps the effects. 

In comparison, Rings of Power often looked incredibly artificial. I guess they often constructed huge sets, fair play to them, but they always looked like sets. That is a matter of not blocking things properly, not lighting things properly and trying to get too much on screen. Another comparison is Shogun, which has a few clunky shots, but overall manages to capture a sense of realism and place that RoP never came close to doing.

17 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Are we still in the Star Wars thread? ;)

Like how every DC thread inevitably gets infected with Marvel discussions, or how SW infects other threads, now the reckoning needed to happen here. Balance has been achieved. :P Also, coincidentally HOTD and Acolyte are coming out the same month, so the will be more chances of crossover discussions.

3 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The Batman and Oblivion used volume or "volume-ish" technology and both looked fantastic. The problem isn't the volume, it's that they need more experienced cinematographers who understand the limits of the tech. 

Observe-é-vous, bitches. 

Pretty sure Dune would’ve looked completely different if they had used The Volume and not gone to shoot in the Desert…

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

14 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Pretty sure Dune would’ve looked completely different if they had used The Volume and not gone to shoot in the Desert…

It also would have looked different if Denis Villeneuve and Greig Fraser didn't film it. What's your point?

How do you know they didn't use the volume for some scenes? You think they built physical sets for everything? 

Really it's not so much about the technology itself, it's how you use it, and whether you understand the limitations. Ant Man 3 is maybe the best example of 'Yeah fuck it, just let Volume sort it out' and not having a clue whether it's the best way to get the effect you want. It feels like The Volume became a bit of a short cut for a lot of people, but only the experts really understood what it was good for and what it wasn't good for.