Football: The long goodbye. tic-toc goes the Klopp.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Good pick.

Let's see if they let him work for longer than Vieira.

41 minutes ago, Mexal said:

They will go after him but not sure he’d choose them over Liverpool.

I don't think Liverpool are a more attractive destination than Bayern. They've not been good this season by their standards but Bayern remains a top 3 most coveted manager job in football imo. I can see arguments for both clubs though.

He'd have a more stable environment at Liverpool and would probably be given more time if things don't click immediately but he'd also face much stiffer competition domestically - Klopp has done a great job at Liverpool but since joining in October 2016 2015, its translated into 1 league title, 1 FA cup and 1 carabao cup (so far) domestically.

He'd be under more pressure off the bat at Bayern and have to deal with 'Hollywood FC' but in some ways its a safer job with a better chance of bagging more trophies and elevating his reputation. He’d be inheriting the strongest squad in the league by a fair distance and have the biggest budget in the league by an even bigger distance.

Edited by Consigliere
correction

Questions is, whether there's already an agreement in place between Liverpool and Alonso, or not.

Klopp has given Liverpool fair warning and time to check potential successors. Word got out that Klopp was leaving about a month ago, I'd assume that was about the time they made contact with their preferred target(s). As in, no way they could've kept it secret any longer once they talked to a successor.

If indeed Alonso's the chosen one, then I assume they either have reached an agreement at this point or a close to.

The Tuchel situation at Bayern escalated rather quickly during the past 2-3 weeks. So Bayern would be rather late to the party. Sure, Alonso could back out of a potential agreement with Liverpool, but I'd consider him telling Bayern: Sorry, too late, I have already signed up for another job elsewhere.  To be a more likely scenario. As a side story. If Liverpool really sign Steidten from WHU as their DoF/Sporting Director. That would also be nod towards Alonso, who has worked with him at Leverkusen.

I'Ve said it before that Leverkusen team is really well put together with people in charge actually spending a thought or two on what they wanted from their players and then picking targets and signing players accordingly. The three people who put that squad together were Alonso, Steidten and Rolfes.

The problem with the Bayern job is that success is winning the Champions League, domestic titles are the bare minimum these days, and they don’t look close to that at the moment. The Liverpool job he’d almost certainly be given more leeway to build a side and we probably have a better squad at the moment but the downside is there’s more competition and he has to follow Klopp. It probably just comes down to what Alonso wants to do, there’s probably not a clearly wrong answer.:dunno:

Guardiola failing to win the CL with Bayern didn't do his reputation any damage. I think Bayern's fans and board value domestic trophies more than, say, PSG's does. It's not Champion's League or bust with them as it seemingly is with PSG.

Edited by Consigliere

33 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Guardiola failing to win the CL with Bayern didn't do his reputation any damage. I think Bayern's fans and board value domestic trophies more than, say, PSG's does. It's not Champion's League or bust with them as it seemingly is with PSG.

It didn’t damage his reputation that much, although the can’t win in Europe without Messi thing was weighing on him for some time, but he’d clearly failed to achieve what they were aiming for. Also Guardiola started his time at Bayern up against Klopp’s Dortmund so there was still a domestic rival to overcome. Alonso going to Bayern would undermine Leverkusen straight off the bat.

Meanwhile in Germany.

The German Football League has decided to throw the towel in the ongoing confrontation with the fan scenes and put an end to its attempts to get an outside investor in.

Dortmund's Watzke in his function as one of the league's bosses released a statement saying while the league needs to get an investor in as a matter of entrepreneurial necessity, the league can no longer guarantee the binding character of an agreement. Furthermore the 50+1 rule is an important corner stone in German football, which the board fully backs and supports. And with the questions regarding the vote of Hannover we can longer proceed in good conscience.

Two things there.

1. Watzke is a massive wanker. The issue with the Hannover vote has been out in the open for months. The league changed course because fans were not relenting and absolutely unwilling to give an inch. As for his commitment to 50+1, let's just say it rings pretty hollow coming from Watzke or Hoeneß.

2. The Hannover vote bit probably needs explaining to those folks here not familar with the ins and outs of German football politics (despite my best efforts to educate). I already explained the issue of Football Clubs and Football Incs (the pro teams). Kind (whose company is producing hearing aids) is a pedigree investor having invested in the club for a very long time. He used to be the Club president, but him being a massive dickhead even by Hannover 96 standards, fell out with their fan scene and was voted out. But him owning quite a few shares in the Football Inc. has created one of those nasty little conflict of interests. He is the boss of Football inc. and was thus representing Hannover 96 at the league meetings. The club told him to vote against an outside investor. In a secret ballot he apparently voted yes, despite the clubs objection. That gave the yes camp (lead by Dortmund and Bayern) the necessary number of yes votes to proceed with the search for an investors.

Thus we had those ongoing fan protests with the pitches being flooded with Tennisballs (most common one). Leading to those 30 mins interruptions and games to be on the verge of cancellation. Altho special shoutout to the protesters during the Leverkusen game at the WE, with the RC car, that was brilliant *chef's kiss*

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

13 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Reports that both Nunez and Salah will miss tonight's game against Luton.

That Brentford match was one of the most expensive three points I can recall: Jones, Jota, Alisson (in pre-match training), Salah and Nunez all injured.

The one lesson Klopp has never learned is when and how to create space for players to rest.