Football: The long goodbye. tic-toc goes the Klopp.

38 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

That Brentford match was one of the most expensive three points I can recall: Jones, Jota, Alisson (in pre-match training), Salah and Nunez all injured.

The one lesson Klopp has never learned is when and how to create space for players to rest.

Artetas problem as well. But reality is sometimes shit happens. Biggest issue on Arsenal side is a lot of the injuries are to the same people so need to get rid of them because their unavailability is what they’re known for rather than what they can do to help the team.

5 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Guardiola failing to win the CL with Bayern didn't do his reputation any damage. I think Bayern's fans and board value domestic trophies more than, say, PSG's does. It's not Champion's League or bust with them as it seemingly is with PSG.

It really did. 

13 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

It really didn't.

A very simple Google search of 'did peps reputation suffer for not winning the CL at Bayern' says otherwise. 

Literally hundreds of articles discussing this very thing. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

7 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Yet he was still widely regarded as the best manager in world football at the time of joining City. So his reputation couldn't have suffered all that much.

Those 2 things aren't mutually exclusive. 

His reputation on leaving Bayern and delivering the absolute bare acceptable minimum was less than his reputation when he left barca. Anyone arguing otherwise is delusional. 

12 hours ago, ljkeane said:

If Jota has gone above Diaz in the pecking order, and I think it’s fair to say he has, that’s 7 of our first choice 11 out and Konate and Robertson only make the bench. Jesus.

I think your forward line is pretty variable. Salah is the one that plays, when fit. Next one on the list is probably Darwin despite all the criticism he draws. But it's not like Jota/Gakpo are that much of a downgrade on the central position of your attack three. Diaz, Darwin, Jota on the left is also pretty level. The one who is in better form gets the nod. Quality wise it's very level IMO.

As for your bench. I think you are overstating it a bit. Walker was/is a highly rated prospect, who had lost over a year due to health issues. He seems to be back now.

Otherwise you should be able to live with 1-2 youngsters against Luton (no offense, but Luton is not Man City) and still come out of the game with three points.

As one of the resident scousers you should know more about your academy prospects, but wasn't McConnel supposed to be a legit prospect?

Porto did a great job at slowing down the game, disrupting Arsenal and killing any kind of momentum. But, man, that was a terrible game to watch. Switched over to the Napoli/Barca game and that was also awful. Don't think I'll be watching the return legs. I also expect Porto will be dialing up the spoiler tactics to 11. 

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Porto did a great job at slowing down the game, disrupting Arsenal and killing any kind of momentum. But, man, that was a terrible game to watch. Switched over to the Napoli/Barca game and that was also awful. Don't think I'll be watching the return legs. I also expect Porto will be dialing up the spoiler tactics to 11. 

Absolutely miserable. 36 fouls. 50 minutes of ball in play. Anytime they were touched, whether by us or their own players, they fell down and cried like their leg fall off. Was insane. Can’t imagine they will get away with that at Emirates but I do expect the lowest of blocks. Reminds of Lens in group stage.

Edited by Mexal

It feels like a real down year for the Champions League this season. Barcelona and Napoli have really regressed after winning the league in Spain and Italy last season, Liverpool and Leverkusen are in the Europa League, United and Newcastle were weak 3rd and 4th Premier League sides. Even Real are in a bit of a transition this season.

Edited by ljkeane

Inter are looking good. They are playing some really good football but their finishing (in the CL anyway) has been diabolical. They fluff so many chances. They basically played Atleti off the park and should've won that game 3-0. If they can sort themselves out in the final third then I think there's a good chance we get a repeat of last year's final.

eta. unless they are on the same side of the draw as City. Haven't checked.

Edited by Consigliere

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Inter are looking good. They are playing some really good football but their finishing (in the CL anyway) has been diabolical. They fluff so many chances. They basically played Atleti off the park and should've won that game 3-0. If they can sort themselves out in the final third then I think there's a good chance we get a repeat of last year's final.

eta. unless they are on the same side of the draw as City. Haven't checked.

We miss chances cause we lack a clinical finisher. Lautaro is having his best season ever but in the Champions League he's still the World cup Lautaro. We had to rely on Arnautovic to score one goal vs Atletico, and he himself missed a sitter before that. 

The problem is that now Thuram is injured for the next few weeks and Inter are relying on ancient Arnautovic and Sanchez as back ups in the attack. Luckily we are +9 and + 11 with a game in hand in front of Juventus & Milan so I don't think we can bottle the league at least, anything more in the CL will be a bonus.