US Politics: Sitting in Judgement

16 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I can think of no easier way to announce to the World that you are a giant festering Asshole than to actually put a pair of those hideous sneekers on your feet! "AaarfarfarfAaarfAAarrrf look at me im a giant bumbling douche Arf Arf ArrrrF!!"

I can think of one easier way: Defend Trump to friends, neighbors, one's audience, etc. That's even less trouble than buying those dreadful sneakers.

Edited by TrackerNeil

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

You cant be shocked if the bancruptcy king has a high percent of those properties leveraged to the hilt and a fukton of his alleged net worth is actually just his own made up value he"s telling us his brand is worth, what does accounting call it, (goodwill, brand valuation, etc) strip out that reputational stuff that hes actually destroying anyway, I doubt this loser is a Billionaire in actual equity.

Count me as uber skeptical and that hes lied just as well about having the $300 milli in cash on hand. Donald has always wished he was MBS or Putin, his shady idols and guys that actually do have that cash on hand. One wonders whether they are going to bail out there little errand boy Trump?

He said he has $400M, but my understanding is that's a high watermark for him and that it often falls well below that. And I can't recall which properties were mentioned, but some were really in debt which is why his cash on hand would drop by a large amount at any given time to avoid defaults. Who knows what the real number is, but it's highly unlikely he has enough for what he needs to put up for the damn near half a billion he owns. And his troubles are just getting started. The criminal legal fees will be massive and the appeals process will probably take a long time. But like I said before the one thing I'm not exactly clear about is how much of his political war chest he can use to cover some of these bills and for what things. He does need to come up with the cash soon though and the fake billionaire probably can't. 

Also got a kick hearing MAL is worth so much less than he claimed. He's going to have to sell the tower before that to cover his debts. Maybe once @Spockydog's IP money comes in he can turn that golf course in Scotland into a free petting zoo for families that hate Tories. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

Santos sues Jimmy Kimmel for tricking him into making videos to ridicule him
Kimmel misrepresented himself to induce Santos to create personalized videos “capitalizing on and ridiculing” his “gregarious personality,” the lawsuit alleges.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/18/santos-sues-jimmy-kimmel-for-tricking-him-into-making-videos-to-ridicule-him-00142059

NEW YORK — Former U.S. Rep. George Santos alleged in a lawsuit filed Saturday that late-night host Jimmy Kimmel deceived him into making videos on the Cameo app that were used to ridicule the disgraced New York Republican on the show.

The lawsuit filed in U.S. district court for the southern district of New York names Kimmel, ABC and Walt Disney Co. as defendants. A Disney representative listed as a media contact for the Jimmy Kimmel Live! show didn’t immediately respond to an email from The Associated Press seeking comment.

Santos, who was expelled from the House of Representatives last year after being charged with multiple counts of fraud and stealing from donors, is suing over alleged copyright infringement, fraudulent inducement, breach of contract and unjust enrichment.

Kimmel misrepresented himself to induce Santos to create personalized videos “capitalizing on and ridiculing” his “gregarious personality,” the lawsuit alleges.

This is going to confuse the maga, Haley and Dem messaging even more so, one must think --

Here we have Cheney and many others saying the reeking pile is now the party of Putin --

https://www.msnbc.com/alex-wagner-tonight/alex-wagner-tonight/donald-trump-making-gop-party-putin-rcna139162

But now we've got this:

https://www.arabnews.com/node/2461421/middle-east

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-787509

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/02/18/7442422/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/18/palestinian-factions-to-meet-in-moscow-as-west-rejects-hamas-role-in-ruling-gaza-after-war

These sides are getting as multiple as the war in San Domingue and the slave revolution.

Edited by Zorral

My dad is “concern trolling” about the Civil award against the Trump organization.  He says he dislikes like Trump but the State getting this kind of civil damages “bothers him”.

I told him… I have -O- sympathy for Trump or his organization.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

My dad is “concern trolling” about the Civil award against the Trump organization.  He says he downplayed like Trump but the State getting this kind of civil damages “bothers him”.

If the State doesn't do it, is some random American supposed to gather the resources to sue?

Should the State sit this one out as it might be seen by someone out there as politically motivated? Would doing nothing achieve a better result?

I cannot wait for our Monday work muster where I get to watch the butthurt and forlorn whine and gnash teeth over this attack on thier Führer.

Its going to be golden.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

9 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

If the State doesn't do it, is some random American supposed to gather the resources to sue?

Should the State sit this one out as it might be seen by someone out there as politically motivated? Would doing nothing achieve a better result?

I also pointed out to him private parties have to prove damages… the State in an enforcement action… does not.

12 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My dad is “concern trolling” about the Civil award against the Trump organization.  He says he dislikes like Trump but the State getting this kind of civil damages “bothers him”.

I told him… I have -O- sympathy for Trump or his organization.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm guessing it's not a good idea to threaten, defame, and intimidate your prosecutors and judge every hour of every day. Probably not the best strategy for a lighter ruling.

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/p/february-18-2024?

.... That the American people in the twenty-first century celebrate Abraham Lincoln as a great president would likely have surprised Lincoln in summer 1864, when every sign suggested he would not be reelected and would go down in history as the man who had permitted a rebellion to dismember the United States.

The news from the battlefields in 1864 was grim. In May, General U. S. Grant had taken control of the Army of the Potomac and had launched a war of attrition to destroy the Confederacy. In May and June, more than 17,500 Union soldiers were killed or wounded at the Battle of the Wilderness, 18,000 at Spotsylvania, and another 12,500 at Cold Harbor. As the casualties mounted, so did criticism of Lincoln. 

Those Republican leaders who thought Lincoln was far too conservative both in his prosecution of the war and in his moves toward abolishing enslavement had plotted with the humorless Treasury Secretary Salmon P. Chase, who perennially hankered to run the country, to replace Lincoln with Chase on the 1864 ticket. 

In February they went so far as to circulate a document signed by Senator Samuel Pomeroy of Kansas, a key party leader, saying that “even were the re-election of Lincoln desirable, it is practically impossible against the union of influences which will oppose him.” Even if he could manage to pull off a reelection, the Pomeroy circular said, he was unfit for office: “his manifest tendency towards compromises and temporary expedients of policy” would make the “dignity and honor of the nation…suffer.”  ....

Presidents Day -- so we think of them.

ProPublica work wins 3 Polk Awards, including probe of justices’ ethics
Now in its 75th year, the George Polk Awards for journalism honors stories from 2023 about wars in Ukraine and the Middle East, the juvenile justice system, medical devices and more

https://www.washingtonpost.com/style/media/2024/02/19/george-polk-awards-journalism-winners/

ProPublica won three George Polk Awards in journalism — including for its coverage of Supreme Court justices’ ethics — tying the New York Times for most newsroom wins for work published in 2023.

Now in its 75th year, the Polk Awards, named after a CBS correspondent who was murdered while covering the Greek Civil War, honors investigative reporting that “gains attention and achieves results,” its host institution Long Island University said in a news release Monday.

The staff of ProPublica won the national reporting award for uncovering the lavish gifts that Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas had secretly been receiving for decades from Texas billionaire Harlan Crow. ProPublica’s further reporting also revealed that Justice Samuel Alito accepted a luxury Alaskan fishing trip with business mogul and GOP donor Paul Singer — and didn’t recuse himself when Singer had cases before the court. Following the controversy, the justices pledged to follow a broadly-written code of conduct.

The nonprofit investigative news outlet also won a medical reporting award for “With Every Breath,” its series with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that brought to light how the manufacturer Philips marketed breathing machines for sleep apnea that posed severe health risks for consumers. ProPublica faced a conundrum with the series, as its management opted to publish while the Post-Gazette employees continued an ongoing strike against the newspaper’s owners.

Another medical reporting award was given to CBS News and KFF Health News for “When Medical Devices Malfunction,” on the Food and Drug Administration’s failure to notice faulty instruments before they harmed patients.

The Polk Awards recognized multiple news organizations for their reportage of war in Ukraine and Israel-Gaza. The New York Times won awards for foreign reporting and photojournalism of the Israel-Gaza war, Vice News received a nod in television reporting, and the New Yorker won accolades in magazine reporting and commentary from both wars. ....

11 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I cannot wait for our Monday work muster where I get to watch the butthurt and forlorn whine and gnash teeth over this attack on thier Führer.

Its going to be golden.

Along with the muddy gun waters -- ya all it takes is for One of The Gun Lover Fascists to have his own life put in danger -- when They do the Chin-to-Knee-Run-Hawley-Run as fast as anyone -- while surrounded by armed bodyguards, doing nothing to protect or take out -- remember the only logical answer to bad guys with guns is the good guy with a gun? yet it was unarmed people who chased down the KC shooters -- and it was all recorded on multiple cameras.

Mass shooting ruins Missouri Republicans' gun plans

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2024/2/19/2223927/-Mass-shooting-ruins-Missouri-Republicans-gun-plans?

.... Republican Majority Leader Jonathan Patterson told the Kansas City Star that House Republicans would not be pursuing the two pieces of legislation this session. And while Patterson thought the bills were “worthy of debate,” the shooting really put a damper on their chances of passing and therefore, “[n]ow is not the appropriate time” to talk about loosening gun laws.

The two bills that got scuttled, HB 2291 and HB 1708, were real doozies. The first would have exempted sales tax on ammunition and gun purchases, making Missouri the first state in the union to tax food but not guns. A real highwater mark of conservative public health policy. The second law would have allowed firearms to be carried inside places of worship and on public transit.

As for Patterson’s “now’s not the appropriate time,” remark, it is hard to imagine what Patterson considers an “appropriate time” to discuss guns and gun violence. In April of 2023, when 16-year-old Ralph Yarl was shot in the head at point-blank range by an 84-year-old white man for mistakenly ringing the wrong doorbell while looking to pick up his siblings from a playdate, Patterson had no bills to debate and still didn’t want to discuss gun violence. ....

2 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

My President's Day wish is that Biden decides to use his position as President of the US to stop the genocide in Gaza.  

The best wish!

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How?

I don't know Scot, I'm just a dumb hick tradesman.  But from what I understand President of the US is one of the most powerful political positions in the world with vast diplomatic resources, and that the nation perpetrating this is strong US ally.  I'd guess asking nicely would be a good place to start, but wtf do I know?