UK politics - not inspiring but effective

BigFatCoward

I'm wondering whether Kate and William are having a laugh at all this.  I think they've previously stated that she would resume duties after Easter.  Is she obligated to quash these rumors during her recovery period?  Or can she just grab some popcorn and have a good chuckle?

14 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

Or can she just grab some popcorn and have a good chuckle?

That's what I'd be doing lol

6 hours ago, mormont said:

Realistically, even Liz went running to the papers on occasion, and Charles and the rest do it all the time. It's just that they do it through 'sources'. 

I thought it was a known thing that she worked the press really hard behind the scenes, albeit like you said through intermediaries. 

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

It is amazing to me that the Royals can be this bad at handling the press.  Like, you are the mascot, your job is to have people looking at you.  How can you be so bad at this? 

You've never had a boss that was kind of a dumbass before? Position of power =/= intelligence, and this is an especially arrogant lot. 

1 hour ago, Mudguard said:

I'm wondering whether Kate and William are having a laugh at all this.  I think they've previously stated that she would resume duties after Easter.  Is she obligated to quash these rumors during her recovery period?  Or can she just grab some popcorn and have a good chuckle?

Yeah, even when she went in they were saying she wouldn't return to "work" until after Easter, which is what makes the Mothers Day photoshop a massive own goal - they could have just kept pointing back at that statement and emphasising privacy, and while the circle-jerk of conspiracy theories would still have happened they wouldn't have got this big and crazy.

2 hours ago, Denvek said:

Yeah, even when she went in they were saying she wouldn't return to "work" until after Easter, which is what makes the Mothers Day photoshop a massive own goal - they could have just kept pointing back at that statement and emphasising privacy, and while the circle-jerk of conspiracy theories would still have happened they wouldn't have got this big and crazy.

Assuming that she is actually fine, I think that this whole situation is hilarious.  There's so many depressing things going on, with wars in Europe, the Middle East, and Asia, that this story has been a good break, and I'm enjoying reading about all the crazy conspiracy theories.

At this point, I'm assuming that they are either having a laugh, or are just so disgusted by the tabloids that they are refusing to engage out of spite and/or principle.  They are in a unique situation where bad press doesn't really impact their "jobs," it's not like they are getting fired over this, and doesn't impact their compensation as royals.  They largely don't need to give a fuck.  Assuming that there isn't a scandal, this will all blow over and be forgotten after she finally makes an official return to public life.

It's worth noting that the media/social media frenzy at the moment is also worse because the period of radio silence on Kate matches it being announced the King has cancer as well. It's not just speculation regarding the heir, as far as the public knows William might be king tomorrow. It also means that any news out of the palace has the potential to be announcing that he's dead.

They're not operating under the regular status quo at the moment and they pumped up the frenzy with their own entirely unnecessary actions. They might need to make exceptions to the usual MO to calm things down as a result.

The last time I can remember that circumstances demanded a statement from the RF was when Diana died.  The "don't complain, don't explain" wouldn't wash then.  QE had to finally express some words in recognition of the loss. 

That always struck me as a bit too little, too late.