UK politics - not inspiring but effective

BigFatCoward

35 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

In your face, Bozo. And fuck you, Rees-Mogg. Stick yer Brexit red tape up yer inbred feckin' erses! 

Thanks to some extremely startup-friendly regulations in Ireland, the land of my people, Lasyscrog Technologies is now incorporated in the European Union. And eligible for another EUR2.5m in grant funding. :D

Ty, BFC, shit is ooooooon, lads.

Celebratory drinks in the Alfred Herring on you when you make your first billion? 

Imagine introducing Ty to a spoons!

8 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And again. Kate is very clearly in Spain with spocky. We clearly established that much. I assume she is still alive at this point... Spocky?!

Are you saying this is a conspiracy by the lizards to stop Spocky's agricultural revolution before it gets off the ground?

Nah, I still maintain, that we are at the critical juncture of British history with spocky's imminent rise to power as the most bloodthirsty autocrat in history.

He gets dark money from EU funds, and enters high society by means of Kate. Basically this is an alternative history, in which one of the Krays married into the Royal family. Which is a great concept btw.

As for the security apparatus. He skipped the minion levels, and went straight to mid-management. Isn't that right future Home Secretary BFC?

I'm not sure how anybody else will fit in, since this is history in progress with a lot of moving parts.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

What's interesting to me (academically, anyway) is the extent to which nothing the Tories do moves the dial at all. Tax cuts? Thanks, now fuck off. Friend of the motorist? No friend of mine. Voters just don't want the Tories to be on their side. It's like when that embarrassing guy at a party agrees with you and you change the subject.

So some of the party seem to be jumping at anyone who gets a positive headline. Penny Mordaunt held a sword up for a bit, everyone liked that, let's make her leader! Has she done anything since to suggest she could actually do a good job? No. It's desperation.

It's not going to go anywhere, but it shows how the party is entirely out of options.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Nah, I still maintain, that we are at the critical juncture of British history with spocky's imminent rise to power as the most bloodthirsty autocrat in history.

He gets dark money from EU funds, and enters high society by means of Kate. Basically this is an alternative history, in which one of the Krays married into the Royal family. Which is a great concept btw.

As for the security apparatus. He skipped the minion levels, and went straight to mid-management. Isn't that right future Home Secretary BFC?

I'm not sure how anybody else will fit in, since this is history in progress with a lot of moving parts.

Instead of a Dark Lord, we would have a queen, not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Tempestuous as the sea, and stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love her and despair!

Arnie and Rod putting literal (roading equivalent) of band-aids on the pot hole problem.

Which countries don't have pot hole problems? I'd guess the ones that have well engineered roads and that have a decent road maintenance budget.

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Look at the state of the approach to my local Sainsburys. 

It's been like this for years. 

Lord.  Does that road get a lot of truck (lorrie?) traffic?  Around Detroit, Michigan, the roads are constantly being repaired due to lots of heavy transport going over them.  Of course, the weather doesn't help either.

1 hour ago, Tears of Lys said:

Lord.  Does that road get a lot of truck (lorrie?) traffic?  Around Detroit, Michigan, the roads are constantly being repaired due to lots of heavy transport going over them.  Of course, the weather doesn't help either.

It's the only road in and out of a large, fairly nice private housing estate, along with a large Sainsbury's and the local pharmacy.

So I guess there's quite a bit of heavy lorry traffic, but also a whole load of regular traffic from people trying to get to and from their homes. And because people can't drive down this road at anything approaching normal speeds, a road which happens to be sandwiched between two roundabouts, it's been creating nightmare levels of traffic for years now. Woe betide the person that drives within half a mile of those roundabouts during the school rush.

It's so shit. This country is so shit. For a decade, our leaders have been the absolute worst. Unimaginably bad. But Labour are no better. The nation is literally falling apart and all our politicians seem to care about is this absurd, carbon-fuelled, planet-wrecking fantasy of maintaining infinite growth, just so they and their revolting chums can continue slobbering at the teats of their lucrative shareholder dividends.

My pending Irish passport can't come soon enough. 

Edited by Spockydog

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Case solved, a blurry video of Kate and William coming out of the shop is released.. and yet it still doesn’t even look that much like Kate sometimes! It’s almost like they are doing it on purpose now. 

Is that the same one as TMZ had a video of? Not only did the woman look not much like Kate, the guy didn't look much more like William

6 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Is that the same one as TMZ had a video of? Not only did the woman look not much like Kate, the guy didn't look much more like William

Yeah that’s the one, apparently on the front of the Sun today. I mean it does look like them, but if you freeze it at any point you can make it seem like she’s a completely different woman. So, not very helpful.

5 hours ago, Spockydog said:

It's the only road in and out of a large, fairly nice private housing estate, along with a large Sainsbury's and the local pharmacy.

So I guess there's quite a bit of heavy lorry traffic, but also a whole load of regular traffic from people trying to get to and from their homes. And because people can't drive down this road at anything approaching normal speeds, a road which happens to be sandwiched between two roundabouts, it's been creating nightmare levels of traffic for years now. Woe betide the person that drives within half a mile of those roundabouts during the school rush.

It's so shit. This country is so shit. For a decade, our leaders have been the absolute worst. Unimaginably bad. But Labour are no better. The nation is literally falling apart and all our politicians seem to care about is this absurd, carbon-fuelled, planet-wrecking fantasy of maintaining infinite growth, just so they and their revolting chums can continue slobbering at the teats of their lucrative shareholder dividends.

My pending Irish passport can't come soon enough. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-68598875

its very much a hot topic.  Honestly i think if labour just fixed all the potholes in first term nobody would every vote tory again, it drives people insane. 

11 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Tbf she couldn't do any worse, she seems vaguely normal, and she's a bit hot  

Not sure which of these assertions is the most dubious. 

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Case solved, a blurry video of Kate and William coming out of the shop is released.. and yet it still doesn’t even look that much like Kate sometimes! It’s almost like they are doing it on purpose now. 

The one on the front page of the Daily Mail looks absolutely nothing like her at all, its not even close. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/index.html

You guys know about / participate in this?

At Stock Market Bar Night, Buy Low and Drink Up
In London, “competitive socializing” transforms pubs into stock exchanges, golf courses and cricket fields for those looking for more elaborate drinking games.

Gift/Shared Link.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/18/dining/stock-market-bars-london.html?unlocked_article_code=1.d00.tqXa.nPwD_oxSlKT6&smid=url-share

.... London has become a launchpad for new activity bars, according to hospitality experts on both sides of the Atlantic. Social-gaming companies that started in Britain — mini-golf, darts and even cricket — are expanding into the United States.

“London has become a little bit of a petri dish for competitive socializing,” said James Cook, the Americas director of retail research at the real estate firm JLL.

A screen showing columns of numbers — a yellow price, with fluctuations in green and red. 
The stock-market concept draws a corporate crowd: finance spreadsheets by day, drink-price spreadsheets by night.Credit...Peter Flude for The New York Times

The historical precedent of pub games and consumers’ shrinking disposable income make London an ideal testing ground for these concepts, said Kevin Williams, a British hospitality consultant. People pay only for something truly fun.

“If it can work here, it can work anywhere,” he said.

Most of the activity bars are expensive: Sixes, an augmented-reality cricket bar, charges about $80 for four people to spend 45 minutes in a batting cage during peak hours. (That’s relatively standard across sports-themed activities.) The drinks are not included. ....

Just now, Zorral said:

You guys know about / participate in this?

At Stock Market Bar Night, Buy Low and Drink Up
In London, “competitive socializing” transforms pubs into stock exchanges, golf courses and cricket fields for those looking for more elaborate drinking games.

Gift/Shared Link.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/18/dining/stock-market-bars-london.html?unlocked_article_code=1.d00.tqXa.nPwD_oxSlKT6&smid=url-share

i'd have to be pretty drunk to want to play cricket.