NBA - squeaky bum time

BigFatCoward

9 hours ago, Maithanet said:

The idea that you could build a superteam just by putting together a bunch of great scorers has always been flawed, and the teams that attempted it, most notably the Durant Nets and the Durant Suns, have failed spectacularly.  People seem to talk themselves into the idea that if you add another great scorer, then opposing defenses will be unable to keep up, but that really has not been the case.  The Nets and the Suns were good offensively, but never great, because the best offenses need guys who are great without the ball, and few star scorers fit that bill (this is part of what makes Curry and Thompson so unique).

Durant's Nets were pretty damn good when healthy while Harden was still there. They were the best offense in the league in the regular season in 2021 despite all of their top 3 missing a lot of games and they mostly likely would have won the title that year if not for injuries to both Kyrie and Harden in the Bucks series which they still would have won if Durant had stepped 3 inches further back on his last shot in regulation of Game 7. They were certainly better constructed than Durant's Suns because Harden is way better playmaker than any of the Suns' big 3 and they had Claxton who was a really good rim protector and just a much better fit for an offensively stacked team than the way past his prime Nurkic (who was never that good in the first place and has an all-time worse playoff win/loss record (3-17) of all players who have played at least 20 playoff games).

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Murray really is very very good in the playoffs. 

This year he has been pretty mediocre, to be honest. He had two great finishes to win games but overall he has shot quite poorly (his TS% for the series is 46.8) and too much at times and his playmaking hasn't been all that great either. He shouldn't be taking significantly more shots than Jokic, the most efficient scorer in the league.

11 minutes ago, David Selig said:

This year he has been pretty mediocre, to be honest. He had two great finishes to win games but overall he has shot quite poorly (his TS% for the series is 46.8) and too much at times and his playmaking hasn't been all that great either. He shouldn't be taking significantly more shots than Jokic, the most efficient scorer in the league.

I meant generally, doesn't his PPG go up by like 5?

14 hours ago, David Selig said:

Durant's Nets were pretty damn good when healthy while Harden was still there. They were the best offense in the league in the regular season in 2021 despite all of their top 3 missing a lot of games and they mostly likely would have won the title that year if not for injuries to both Kyrie and Harden in the Bucks series which they still would have won if Durant had stepped 3 inches further back on his last shot in regulation of Game 7. They were certainly better constructed than Durant's Suns because Harden is way better playmaker than any of the Suns' big 3 and they had Claxton who was a really good rim protector and just a much better fit for an offensively stacked team than the way past his prime Nurkic (who was never that good in the first place and has an all-time worse playoff win/loss record (3-17) of all players who have played at least 20 playoff games).

Woulda shoulda is easy.  I'm not sure that Nets team beats the 2021 Suns, even if they did get past the Bucks.  And one of the flaws of any superteam is that you are relying on 3 guys to do almost everything, which means that you are particularly susceptible to injury.  Injury risk was definitely something people mentioned as a potential weakness when the Nets were first assembled. 

It's a shame that Lebron is no longer able to dominate like he used to.  Davis played well in this series, and while the rest of the Lakers are by no means as good as the secondary guys on the Nuggets, they aren't terrible.  It's just Lebron isn't what he was in 2020, let alone 2015.  Old age comes for us all (if we're lucky). 

To be clear, Lebron had his time.  You could argue he had more than his time, since he's already played longer than Kobe, Jordan, Magic, or Bird.  I'm not at all sad to see young guys like Edwards and Wemby coming up.  It's just always a little sad to see greatness leaving a player.  So few athletes get to retire on a high note. 

He’s still a top ten player. It’s remarkable how well he’s aged. Sure he can’t just take over games like he did a few years ago. He has to pick his spots more. But he’s still really good. When you see much younger players drop off the cliff quickly to not being able to stay healthy it’s remarkable. But I’ve heard he spends millions a year on his own health so not a total surprise.

Edited by Arakasi

3 hours ago, David Selig said:

He hasn't been in great form, but the Nuggets are relying on him a lot and Jokic isn't the type to force things unless he feels there is no alternative. Think this is where they miss Brown as another playmaking option. Also, he's the one carrying the bench when Jokic rests at the start of the second and fourth quarters. 

Anyway, it isn't getting any easier for him. The Wolves have a whole bunch of long defenders to throw at him. Maybe the Nuggets will hunt Conley. Both these lineups are huge except for Conley.

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

And one of the flaws of any superteam is that you are relying on 3 guys to do almost everything, which means that you are particularly susceptible to injury.  Injury risk was definitely something people mentioned as a potential weakness when the Nets were first assembled. 

Eh, you can also say that it's insurance for one of your stars getting injured. Think that's the Clippers logic anyway. Think it matters which star is hurt too. Sometimes it's just one star that matters.

Also I have no doubt the Lakers would make the second round at least or maybe the conference finals with a competent coach who didn’t piss away a bunch of games with his fascination with bad players. They just got the worst possible matchup for them and tbh were competitive in every game (more so than last year which is not a surprise since davis played better and James was healthy) it’s just Denver is much deeper.

Edited by Arakasi

58 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Eh, you can also say that it's insurance for one of your stars getting injured. Think that's the Clippers logic anyway. Think it matters which star is hurt too. Sometimes it's just one star that matters.

Has any superteam won a title with one of its stars hurt?  I don't think they have.  I guess you could point to the 2012 Heat which won with Bosh out for the first 4 games of the ECF.  He was at less than 100% in the Finals, but he played every game.  The '17-'18 Warriors superteam had some minor injury issues, but again not enough that anybody missed much time.   The 2015 Cavs and 2019 Warriors were almost good enough to survive a major injury, but in the end both succumbed in six games. 

But I would not say that Superteams have eliminated injury risks, quite the opposite. 

13 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Has any superteam won a title with one of its stars hurt?  I don't think they have.  I guess you could point to the 2012 Heat which won with Bosh out for the first 4 games of the ECF.  He was at less than 100% in the Finals, but he played every game.  The '17-'18 Warriors superteam had some minor injury issues, but again not enough that anybody missed much time.   The 2015 Cavs and 2019 Warriors were almost good enough to survive a major injury, but in the end both succumbed in six games. 

But I would not say that Superteams have eliminated injury risks, quite the opposite. 

I think the risk doesn't change. Losing any of your key contributors is pretty devastating, star or not and the results are what they are, but its a small sample size and its not a guarantee that they would have won if healthy or that the eventual winners would have lost if not. The Cavs and Warriors breezed to the Finals those years after all. You just need the right dominos to fall. It's not an automatic out of contention scenario.

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Has any team in recent years won a title with one of its top 3 players hurt? I can't think of any examples. It's just really, really hard to win a title shorthanded in a league as competitive as the NBA. I don't see this as a valid argument against superteams. Also, the Heatles still won a title in 2013 with Wade clearly hobbled for a large portion of the playoffs.

I know they lost, but Paolo Banchero proved himself.  I..don’t even know a comparison for what he’s doing.  Give him a couple more years, I don’t think we’ve seen this type of offensive player before.

9 minutes ago, The Big Stink said:

The Lakers got cheated. Should have won that series. The Nuggets did NOT deserve to win and will get curb stomped by the Timberwolves. 

The NBA probably rigged it so that their biggest star and most popular franchise were eliminated in the first round. 

10 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Tobias Harris has one of the easiest jobs. He gets paid millions to do nothing but cardio on the court. 

His contract is up. Let's see how much he gets next. 

__

Not sure if the Replay Centre sees the same thing as is broadcasted, but can they not just play it frame by frame? I don't know what speeds they are replaying it at, but it can be slower. Don't think that Maxey shot was a goaltend from what I saw anyway.

Also, not sure if this was a one off, but these two teams fall over a lot.

1 hour ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Tobias Harris has one of the easiest jobs. He gets paid millions to do nothing but cardio on the court. 

When you Google 'Tobias Harris contract' one of the first answers is 'how did Tobias Harris get paid so much?