Football: Let's All Laugh at Chelsea

Yeah, I think the Gabriel one was ultimately the right call. It is something that Arteta might want to address though since that play is something Arsenal regularly do so their CBs need to be more aware or just refrain from picking the ball up in the box for short goal kick plays. The whistle can clearly be heard on replays when Raya passed the ball to Gabriel and he picked it up. Another ref on another day could have easily called that a pen.

Edited by Consigliere

12 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I've watched that penalty call 100x now and it's a clear 50/50. Whatever it was called on the field is the way it would go. Saka throws his leg yes, but Neuer steps and extends his leg into Saka's path. I still firmly believe that if that was Bruno, Kane or any other generic white guy, he'd get the call.

As for the penalty shout against Arsenal, this is the one time when a ref used some common sense. They clearly weren't doing anything for advantage, no clue what they heard on the field and it would have been idiotic to call something like that in a CL game when it clearly wasn't intentional in any way. The worse call was Harry Kane not getting a red for purposely looking at Gabriel before intentionally slamming his elbow into his throat.

Funnily enough, former ref. Lutz Wagner looked at all three scenes over at the kicker. Wagner himself is one of the guys responsible for training/coaching referees in Germany nowadays.

The penalties.

The handball. The ref. didn't look good there. There apparently was a second whistle by im as Raya was taking the goalkick, which might very well have caused some irritation with the players (they could've reasonably assumed, that he revoked his decission to restart the game). So by strict application of the rules, he could've given a penalty there. Which would've been an absurd call. Best thing he could've done. Explained to the players that he messed up, redo the goalkick and end of story.

The Saka/Neuer dive/foul. Referee had followed a rather lenient approach the entire game. Neuer (tried to) move his leg back, and it was rather Saka, who initiated contact. Esp. with the overall lenient approach that the ref followed to not award a penalty was most certainly a justifiable decission.

Kane forearm Yes, he looked where Gabriel was. He then tried to back into him, and did hit him with his arm/elbow. However, Kane used his arm as a mere tool (apparently ref slang) to get an unfair adavantage, and not as a weapon (a gain apparently ref slang) to actively attack Gabriel. Thus it's a yellow.

28 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I've watched that penalty call 100x now and it's a clear 50/50. Whatever it was called on the field is the way it would go. Saka throws his leg yes, but Neuer steps and extends his leg into Saka's path. I still firmly believe that if that was Bruno, Kane or any other generic white guy, he'd get the call.

Looked like a penalty to me.  Like you said, Neuer pretty clearly sticks out his leg into Saka's path.  Yeah, maybe Saka allowed his leg to make contact, but its not as if he's changing his direction to run into the goalie.  Neuer is getting in his way, and Saka would have needed to shift left to avoid bumping him.  In a situation where he's going into the air and things are moving fast, I don't think its fair to put that on Saka, especially given how Neuer is stabbing a leg out to cut him off. 

13 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Neuer (tried to) move his leg back, and it was rather Saka, who initiated contact.

How did Neuer try to move his leg back?  He's literally stepping forward with it. 

He's trying to pull up because he realizes Saka is about to get around him, so you can see his left arm swing backward and head turn to the right as he's trying to re-orient his body, but his right leg is clearly still stepping forward into Saka's path.  I'm not sure if it was to intentionally cut him off or just because of Neuer's momentum (or maybe both), but either way he's extending his leg out, not pulling it back at all.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Kane forearm Yes, he looked where Gabriel was. He then tried to back into him, and did hit him with his arm/elbow. However, Kane used his arm as a mere tool (apparently ref slang) to get an unfair adavantage, and not as a weapon (a gain apparently ref slang) to actively attack Gabriel. Thus it's a yellow.

Yea, I don't agree. Kane looked to see where Gabriel is, backed into him and then swung his elbow around at head height. He didn't jump and use arms for leverage, didn't make any attempt to play the ball, didn't do anything to gain an actual advantage other than backing into him, just took a swing at his head with his elbow. Sure, I guess you can say taking out the player behind you with an elbow to the throat/jaw is gaining an advantage but come on. It was so obviously deliberate.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Yea, I don't agree. Kane looked to see where Gabriel is, backed into him and then swung his elbow around at head height. He didn't jump and use arms for leverage, didn't make any attempt to play the ball, didn't do anything to gain an actual advantage other than backing into him, just took a swing at his head with his elbow. Sure, I guess you can say taking out the player behind you with an elbow to the throat/jaw is gaining an advantage but come on. It was so obviously deliberate.

This has been the line on talksport all day. The view is that certain players get away with this shit all the time. If it was Casemiro or Guendouzi, would have been a straight red. 

The Gabriel penalty is a weird one. I absolutely agree it’d be a stupid thing to give Bayern about a 90% chance of a goal for but it’s also pretty clearly a penalty under the current rules. I’m not sure refs should be deciding which rules they’re going to follow because they think it’s a bit of a stupid situation.

On the Kane elbow, he knows Gabriel’s there but he doesn’t know exactly when his head/neck is. I think he’s probably trying to box Gabriel off from the ball rather than deliberately elbow him in the neck so there’s a bit of room there to give a yellow for the ref. Having said that Kane’s got a bit of tendency to do stuff that’s pretty reckless with the safety of the players around him (backing under centre backs who’re jumping for the ball springs to mind) and he couldn’t have any complaints if he got a red.

12 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

The Gabriel penalty is a weird one. I absolutely agree it’d be a stupid thing to give Bayern about a 90% chance of a goal for but it’s also pretty clearly a penalty under the current rules. I’m not sure refs should be deciding which rules they’re going to follow because they think it’s a bit of a stupid situation.

On the Kane elbow, he knows Gabriel’s there but he doesn’t know exactly when his head/neck is. I think he’s probably trying to box Gabriel off from the ball rather than deliberately elbow him in the neck so there’s a bit of room there to give a yellow for the ref. Having said that Kane’s got a bit of tendency to do stuff that’s pretty reckless with the safety of the players around him (backing under centre backs who’re jumping for the ball springs to mind) and he couldn’t have any complaints if he got a red.

Kane and Gabriel are basically the same height. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know where the head/throat is when you look behind you to see where he is and throw your elbow around at your own height :dunno: Where did he think that was going to land? His stomach?

7 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Kane and Gabriel are basically the same height. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know where the head/throat is when you look behind you to see where he is and throw your elbow around at your own height :dunno: Where did he think that was going to land? His stomach?

He looks round and see him coming towards him and then looks back towards the ball. Gabriel could step to his left, he could try and shove him out of the way, he could see Kane backing into him and try and step wider to the right around him to get to the ball. Come on there’s no guarantee where Gabriel was going to go.

9 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

He looks round and see him coming towards him and then looks back towards the ball. Gabriel could step to his left, he could try and shove him out of the way, he could see Kane backing into him and try and step wider to the right around him to get to the ball. Come on there’s no guarantee where Gabriel was going to go.

Uh, ball is in the air, literally the only way that defenders play that when a CF is backing into them is to get close behind them or jump in the air to head it (which Gabriel never had a chance at because he took an elbow to the throat). I've never seen a defender go around a CF when the ball is in the air, letting them behind them if they miss. This play happens like 10x a game (or more if you don't play out of the back) and the CB is ALWAYS directly behind the CF.

• polishgenius changed the title to Football: Let's All Laugh at PSG

If they are relegated (LOL) Sheff Utd will have a 2 point deduction. 

Joelinton has signed a new deal, weird how a 40 million flop CF, has turned into an absolute bargain.  Wonder if this will impact/he has discussed this with Bruno, they are best mates so i'm wondering if he would have signed a new deal if Bruno told him he wanted to leave in the summer. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

If they are relegated (LOL) Sheff Utd will have a 2 point deduction. 

What's the reason the point deduction only applies if they are relegated, and not right now the way Everton's and Forest's did?

• polishgenius changed the title to Football: Let's All Laugh at Chelsea