UK politics, Truss me, I really am that mental.

Nothing to do with the possibility of the seat switching to Labour or LDP this election? Genuine question since I have no idea if this seat is in play (though with polling at the moment almost every Tory held seat is in play).

3 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Nothing to do with the possibility of the seat switching to Labour or LDP this election? Genuine question since I have no idea if this seat is in play (though with polling at the moment almost every Tory held seat is in play).

He's not standing at the next election. His voting record is every bit as revolting as the rest of his former colleagues. Keir should have told him to sling his hook.

Edited by Spockydog

Is there some retirement advantage to being a member of a party rather than an independent for the final couple of months of a term? Or does Labour get some per-seat public funding for the election, which would motivate Labour to accept any and all defectors?

10 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Is there some retirement advantage to being a member of a party rather than an independent for the final couple of months of a term? Or does Labour get some per-seat public funding for the election, which would motivate Labour to accept any and all defectors?

I think it's for the guy's personal cred when he quits. He also states that by not calling a by-election, he is being responsible with campaign finances and also not annoying his constituents by making them vote twice in under a year (three times with the local elections).

Crossing the floor should automatically trigger a by-election. Most people vote for the Party, not the person. Shit, most people who vote probably don't even know their candidate's name.

This is pure fucking unadulterated evil.

Home Office to detain asylum seekers across UK in shock Rwanda operation

The Home Office will launch a surprise operation to detain asylum seekers across the UK on Monday in preparation for deportation to Rwanda, weeks earlier than expected, the Guardian understands.

Officials plan to hold refugees who turn up for routine meetings at immigration service offices and will also pick people up nationwide in a two-week exercise.

They will be immediately transferred to detention centres, which have already been prepared for the operation, and held to be put on later flights to Rwanda. Others identified for these flights are already being held.

It is thought the launch of the operation has been timed to coincide with Thursday’s local council elections in England, to boost Rishi Sunak’s claims he is cracking down on illegal migration.

Ah, so that's where they expect to get the poll bounce, detain the people. Doesn't matter if any flights actually take off the govt can now say that the "process" has begun.

What's more evil: A cruel govt being cruel to people; A cruel govt expecting to get a bounce in approval rating for being cruel because they think people are as cruel as they are; a cruel govt actually getting a bounce in approval for being cruel proving that, yes, people are as cruel as the govt is hoping they are?

12 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Humza Yousaf’s decision to get rid of the Greens seems to have completely backfired. 

I'm no fan of the SNP, but I have considerable sympathy for him.  He was handed a pretty awful inheritance by Nicola Sturgeon, and then he had to worry about the fate of his parents in Gaza.

22 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I'm no fan of the SNP, but I have considerable sympathy for him.  He was handed a pretty awful inheritance by Nicola Sturgeon, and then he had to worry about the fate of his parents in Gaza.

I think it was his wife’s parents but yes, he’s not had an easy time of it.

If it delivers even a few seats in Scotland to Labour, it makes Labour's path to victory easier (even if right now that's up from "majority" to "bigger majority").

Anyway, on the turd front:

The Scottish FM job seems cursed. Donald Dewar died (albeot oversaw the Holyrood construction fiasco).

Henry Mcleish had to resign over an expenses scandal (from memory).

Jack McConnell lost to the SNP

Alex Salmond quit after losing the independence referendum and has been dogged by allegations of sexual improprieties, some of which went tk court (tho exonerated).

Nicola Sturgeon quit but soon after was detained by the police and questioned over financial improprieties which has seen her husband charged with embezzlement.

Humza Yousaf. Fucked around with the Green Party and Found Out

23 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Humza Yousaf. Fucked around with the Green Party and Found Out

He's going to spend the rest of his days with people saying, "Wait, you lost a game of political intrigue against the Green Party?"

This is more embarrassing than someone in Westeros losing a battle of wits against Casso, King of Seals.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I wouldn't waste my time worrying about anything that starts with ''Senior figures' (no names) and 'may'. 

Edited by BigFatCoward