Football, what the fuckball?

1 minute ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I hope we sell this Darwin bum.I'm sick of seeing him miss simple chances.

Bloody hell mate, are you ever not complaining? Ffs.

I seriously can’t remember you ever posting anything positive in this thread. Players miss chances, they have runs of bad form. It happens. 

I am more bummed about Atalanta/EL loss than losing the EPL run in. I never thought we'd compete in EPL for as long as we did, specially with the injuries in the middle of season and the rebuild (and Klopp bombshell). But I really thought we'd win the EL (or at least get to final...).

But at the end of the day, I still like watching Liverpool and the style. But it does feel like a season of missed opportunities considering how close it all was. One bad month :crying:

43 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Bloody hell mate, are you ever not complaining? Ffs.

I seriously can’t remember you ever posting anything positive in this thread. Players miss chances, they have runs of bad form. It happens. 

Am I supposed to cheer him on and smile like Klopp does on the sidelines? 

The guy is a terrible footballer . Period .

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Zubimendi (plays for Real Sociedad) would be a good option imo. Not a carbon copy of Partey's style but he's got a good passing range and is very good at making interceptions in the opposition half. Is solid defensively as well so would allow Rice to play more box-to-box.

We’ve been heavily linked with him so that makes sense. I don’t know enough about him honestly but if he’s a similar profile, I’m all for it. I’ve seen him play a few times and was never impressed but could have just been the game state or talent around him.

6 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

The guy is a terrible footballer . Period .

I mean, he isn't. I like to laugh at him as much as the next person and I get why he must be extremely frustrating to watch, but he's really good at unsettling defences with his movement, creating space for himself and others, generally bringing other forwards into the game, etc. He's a shit finisher and I don't know that that will ever change (though Forlan managed it) but his flaws would be a lot less glaring if your other forwards didn't keep shitting the bed too - especially since in your setup it's not really the central forward's bailiwick to be the main scorer. 

Like he's scored 11 goals in the league. It's not an amazing return but it's hardly bad when someone else is the main guy for that, and from what I've seen despite scoring more goals Salah has been a lot less useful to you in overall impact this season. 

But also I just hope Klopp one day goes on line, sees the negativity towards him coming from a lot of Liverpool fans right now, and signs on to manage us or Everton. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

But also I just hope Klopp one day goes on line, sees the negativity towards him coming from a lot of Liverpool fans right now, and signs on to manage us or Everton. 

Could you imagine having him as your manager, the success he's had with the resources he's had, thinking you know better than the best manager in the world and complaining about him.  Madness. 

I'd give Liverpool Howe, Isak and Bruno for a 5 year Klopp contract.  Imagine what he could do with Saudi money, Pep would be shitting himself. 

Liverpool will face a post-Klopp world soon enough. It's not an easy gig to succeed him. It took Arsenal a while to find a satisfactory post-Wenger manager (who had overstayed his welcome). United still haven't found their post-Ferguson guy (admittedly United is just dyfunctional on so many levels, and Liverpool look like they at least have managed to put a presumably more functional structure in place).

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Liverpool will face a post-Klopp world soon enough. It's not an easy gig to succeed him. It took Arsenal a while to find a satisfactory post-Wenger manager (who had overstayed his welcome). United still haven't found their post-Ferguson guy (admittedly United is just dyfunctional on so many levels, and Liverpool look like they at least have managed to put a presumably more functional structure in place).

The repeated success they had with the 'boot room' in 70s and 80s makes me wonder why more clubs don't follow this structure. Shankly>Paisley>Fagin>Dalgleish was a pretty good run. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The big difference with Arsenal is that they didn't make the same mistake United did. They realised that they needed to put in a proper structure above the manager post Wenger. It didn't work out with Sanllehi and Mislintat but they didn't abandon the approach because of that setback.

Edited by Consigliere

Reports that Florentino Perez is initiating an ownership restructure at Real Madrid to ensure that the club can never be sold to a State, Hedge Fund, High Net Worth Individual or Consortium. As a contingency measure, should the club ever find itself in serious financial difficulties in the future that would require a cash injection, the club would be allowed to convert the 100,000 socios membership into shares to sell with a market limit of 49.9% thus going from 100% fan owned to a 50+1 model.

Edited by Consigliere

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The repeated success they had with the 'boot room' in 70s and 80s makes me wonder why more clubs don't follow this structure. Shankly>Paisley>Fagin>Dalgleish was a pretty good run. 

9 hours ago, Rorshach said:

And yet it's not the way they go now. 

But I'm not sure the 'boot room' model is replicable. More a one-off, I suspect.

The ‘boot room’ was a proto-DoF.  It ensured a consistent style and approach across successive managers, allowed long term planning in player development and squad building, and avoided the chopping and changing in recruitment priorities that can produce a Frankenstein squad (like United’s).  It wasn’t perfect but it was better than the typical approach of all-powerful individual managers and style fads.  After the Souness debacle, the club tried to return to the ‘boot room’ with Roy Evans and Ronnie Moran.

The biggest problem with the ‘boot room’ system was the absence of any counterbalance.  Each manager was selecting and grooming their own successor, which risks blind spots and group think.  If the club had any serious concerns about the outcomes — e.g. Hillsboro caused Dalgliesh to retire much earlier than planned and before he had rebuilt an aging team or groomed a successor, was Roy Evans ruthless enough or modern enough in his tactics, fitness, coaching, etc — then any intervention meant blowing up the system.  It only worked so long as it was ensuring positive continuity, but wasn’t designed to deal with a need for change.

I think tonight and Spurs away are the only likely prospects for City dropping points. So, yeah, City going in front isn’t ideal.

ETA: Okay, so City aren’t dropping points tonight then. I’m not hugely confident about Spurs either. Bah.

Edited by ljkeane