Still More MLB

Jaxom 1974

I hate to agree with Os, but I do think that the insects played a huge role in that game - and that swarms of insects are bush league. Such things simply should not occur in a major league game - especially not one in the playoffs. That game should have been stopped for fifteen minutes and a bunch of groundskeepers with tanks of Industrial Strength Raid should have sprayed the field so that nothing that crawled or flew could survive.

San Diego Stadium used to have a horrible infestation of moths and it was a joke for baseball games.

Whether it was merely a factor or deciding factor is impossible to tell - nobody can say for certain the extent to which it was affecting both batters and pitchers, but the last few innings of that game were simply not played in major-league caliber conditions.

I think my favorite part of the playoffs so far is that I haven't had to listen to Joe Buck once.

I could get to like this TBS thing.

Beware, the giant head of Jeanie Zelasko is only a few more days away....

Be afraid! Be very afraid!

freaking bugs. BUGS decided that game. And probably the series ::head shake:: of all the most absurd editoic weird things ive ever seen.

indians were pitching on the same mound on the same field with the same bugs, didn't seem to give them too many problems. I think it's all down to the bullpen. after chamberlain and riviera, who do the yanks have? nobody. Carmona went 9 innings, Perez went 2 and if we needed to we still had a lot of great arms out there. Also seems like the yanks don't have any offense except for the long ball, which doesn't win games. If they do, they haven't shown it in these 2 games.

Everyone here knows I am FAR from a Yankee fan. But c'mon. At some point, it became more about dealing with the bugs than actually playing baseball.

At what point does the argument become absurd?

Both teams had to deal with the earthquake the opened a gaping maw between first and second.

Sure the pack of wild hyenas roaming the outfield were an obstacle, but good teams overcome obstacles.

They can run, they can hit, but tonight showed they definitely are not so good when facing ninjas.

Everyone here knows I am FAR from a Yankee fan. But c'mon. At some point, it became more about dealing with the bugs than actually playing baseball.

At what point does the argument become absurd?

Both teams had to deal with the earthquake the opened a gaping maw between first and second.

Sure the pack of wild hyenas roaming the outfield were an obstacle, but good teams overcome obstacles.

They can run, they can hit, but tonight showed they definitely are not so good when facing ninjas.

at say at that point it becomes pretty absurd since none of that could ever happen in real life. It doesn't change the fact that Chamberlain was the only pitcher that seemed to be affected by the bugs. Riviera, Fausto, and Perez all pitched great under the exact same circumstances, so obviously it wasn't too big a deal.

Look, its not the bugs fault. It's that the yankees can't score runs.

Unless a-rod singlehandedly wins the next three games for the yankees, he's been a complete bust. Has the guy EVER hit a meaningful ball in the post season? Heck, or even hit a ball in the playoffs?

Guest OsRavan

it was only a major major issue for an inning and a half.

and like bronn said. Uhh so the cle pitchers dealt with the swarms of weird bugs better then the yankee pitcher.

Thats not the point. the point is that the game shouldnt be decide by who can ignore the swarms of bugs landing on you better.

If you watched the game chamberlain was freaking COVERED in the things. there were scores of them crawling over his neck and his face and his arms. It was ridiculous.

Yes if the yankee offence was horrible. no one is arguing that. but they almost certainly imo still win the game without the bugs

Im not even worried. I wanted a split in the desert, didnt get it, not the end of the world. It has been proven in LDS play that a team can come back from the 0-2 deficit. Its happened 15% of the times its been eligible to happen in LDS history.

[.... neurotic insane rambling...]

GO CUBS. BEAT THE FUCK OUT OF THE ARIZONA DOUCHEBACKS.

It's already Sunday and no one has said anything. Either Caliban and Jaxom have committed Harry Caray (er.... ritual suicide?) or they are still passed out with their wallets missing after drowning their sorrows in booze and flesh at the Admiral.

Just how many runners got stranded last night, guys?

The biggest mistake Lou made was opening his mouth to even mention game 4 after lifting Z in game 1. Otherwise, they just got beat fair and square. Too bad the media will rip them to shreds regardless. I sure hope the Bears can beat the Packers tonight so the area can just get back to normal for this time of year.

Silly to blame the bugs for the Yankees loss, it was a natural occurrence. If it started to rain and he had issues with it you wouldn't say anything. Shit happens and you have to deal with it. Carmona did and Joba didn't.

Sox and Indians complete their sweeps today and every team I picked wins :)

eta- What a genius Steinbrenner is...http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2007...tory?id=3052904

It's already Sunday and no one has said anything.

Honestly, the general sentiment here (among my friends, at least), is that this was expected. We all had hopes for the Cubs, and when they made the playoffs, we cheered as much as everyone else....but we had already been through a season of disappointment with this team. Losing in the first round? Not a surprise at all. Getting swept? Yeah, that sucks....but again, not much of a surprise with this team. There is no sense that people are crushed by this ending. It's nothing like the Cubs in 2003 or the Illini losing in the NCAA national championship game in 2005 or even the Bears in last year's Super Bowl (though I kind of expected that too).

I'm disliking the yankees the last few years because they've lost all heart and love of the game. They have great talent, but they're not a great team.

A great team plays every game as if it's a do or die situation, and as a result learn how to win as a unit. The Yanks haven't been doing that since 2002 or so. Now they play every game in August/ September as though they're do or die, but the rest of the season who knows what the fuck they're up to. If you go into the postseason with a second rate attitude you'll end knocked out early.

It's already Sunday and no one has said anything. Either Caliban and Jaxom have committed Harry Caray (er.... ritual suicide?) or they are still passed out with their wallets missing after drowning their sorrows in booze and flesh at the Admiral.

They dont serve booze at the Admiral.

Archived