Anyone who didn't like The Dark Knight is a tool.

EHK for Darwin

You know the one that gets me is that no one thought to check the boats for bombs "before" they left port. I mean god good there have been threats against the tunnels and bridges someone didn't stop to say "hey maybe the boats are rigged to blow".

lol at every response on pg 6. It's a guy who wears makeup and kills people, for fuck's sake, there isn't any interpretation for that besides chaotic force of nature. Most comic book movies give the villain a cheesy background story and motivation that takes up a lot of time that could be better spent on action. TDK threw that convention out the window, which makes it a great comic book movie, but it's not a deep, oscar-worthy film in any way.

and i admit, the joker is a 3 dimensional character, he kills people, does villain monologues, AND makes jokes. OMG OSCAR!

[quote name='LogicWarrior' post='1458738' date='Jul 28 2008, 02.13']lol at every response on pg 6. It's a guy who wears makeup and kills people, for fuck's sake, there isn't any interpretation for that besides chaotic force of nature. Most comic book movies give the villain a cheesy background story and motivation that takes up a lot of time that could be better spent on action. TDK threw that convention out the window, which makes it a great comic book movie, but it's not a deep, oscar-worthy film in any way.

and i admit, the joker is a 3 dimensional character, he kills people, does villain monologues, AND makes jokes. OMG OSCAR![/quote]

You're an idiot.

Saw it Sunday. Awesome. Not totally blown away because there was a lot happening but am looking forward to picking up the details in future viewings. A couple observations and a question;

1. The Joker's voice at the beginning starts out timid and withdrawn yet one could sense a growing confidence with each utterance - and this builds throughout the movie. Cue the Joker's dialogue at the end, now fully bloomed to insanity and sounding for all money uncannily like that of Nicholson's Joker. Brilliant!

2. I thought Nolan's use of real world daytime settings really brought an air of realism to the movie which shakes off the [i]Goth[/i]am City imaged so well by Burton.

3. I'm sure I heard Maroni break at least one leg when he fell. Yet do we see him get into a car later on without any signs of injury? I might be misremembering.

[quote name='LogicWarrior' post='1458738' date='Jul 28 2008, 03.13']and i admit, the joker is a 3 dimensional character, he kills people, does villain monologues, AND makes jokes. OMG OSCAR![/quote]

we like our snark funny 'round these parts. [/dogpile]

Guest Other-in-law
As someone upthread said, various little complaints about the movie, but the brilliance of Ledger's performance renders them trivial.

One of my favourite moments, however, was when the rather intense convict intimidates an official on the prison ferry into giving him the detonator, and then throws it out the window. I haven't seen the movie a second time so I don't recall his exact words beyond "I'll do what you should have done ten (?) minutes ago". I'm not sure if he actually ever lied about wanting to blow up the other ferry, or is the audience just lead to assume that he wants to? Great scene, either way.

[i] I haven't seen the movie a second time so I don't recall his exact words beyond "I'll do what you should have done ten (?) minutes ago". I'm not sure if he actually ever lied about wanting to blow up the other ferry, or is the audience just lead to assume that he wants to? Great scene, either way. [/i]

The audience is led that way, because the con has a whole speech beforehand about [paraphrase]"You're not used to taking lives, you've never done it before. Give it to me and I'll do what you should have done ten minutes ago". [/paraphrase]

I thought the film was mindbogglingly awesome. I went to the midnight showing having had very little sleep the night before convinced I'd be asleep inside 20 minutes. Not so. The film held my attention throughout and I'll be seeing it again v. soon.

I thought Ledger's performance as the Joker was phenomenal and I have a hard time imagining who can follow that if they have the Joker in any subsequent movies. As said upthread, this is the definitive Joker. He scared me and the intensity in the scene where he's in the copshop with the lone cop standing guard was breathtaking -I'd have stood there only if there were three others with me and he was tied to a chair. (Unlike others I liked the cut there, we don't need to see how he got out - he did it the way he's been doing things in the movie, by not having any rules)

The beauty about the film/acting is given how superlative the Ledger's performance was, the rest of the cast didn't get overshadowed. They still resonated with me (Gary Oldman ftw!).

The one nitpicky thing about the film I have is the arc with Harvey Dent. I've never read any of the comics, but I just about 'predicted' it. However, it in no way dimished the enjoyment of the movie for me.

N

The Joker: You just couldn't let me go could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You truly are incorruptible aren't you? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness, and I won't kill you, because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever.
Batman: You'll be in a padded cell forever.
The Joker: Maybe we can share one. Then we'll be doubling up the rate this city's inhabitants are losing their minds.

Saw it this weekend and it does live up to the hype. This is not a comic movie, this is a serious crime drama masquerading as a comic movie. Ledger, Oldman, Bale, Caine, Freeman, and the rest obviously brought their best to it - there's no "It's only a comic movie and I can ham it up" crap. Ledger and Oldman in particular just disappear into their roles.

The use of the word "cat" in the little exchange while Fox is designing the suit was intentional. My guess is Angelina is already lobbying for the part.

Eckhart is signed to do the third film, so obviously Two Face survived the fall and Gordon had him rushed to Arkham.

[quote name='Chaldanya' post='1458836' date='Jul 28 2008, 04.17']The beauty about the film/acting is given how superlative the Ledger's performance was, the rest of the cast didn't get overshadowed. They still resonated with me (Gary Oldman ftw!).[/quote]

As much as I hate the "he's not dead!" plot twist due to its silliness and overuse, I was glad to see Oldman come back. But Bale was definitely overshadowed by Ledger as an actor.

BTW - I'm sure EHK has already gushed about this, but I loved Chicago in this movie. So many greeat scenes of the city and I love that not NYC or worse Vancouver, BC is standing in for Gotham. :thumbsup:

[quote name='Dagger' post='1459203' date='Jul 28 2008, 13.15']Eckhart is signed to do the third film, so obviously Two Face survived the fall and Gordon had him rushed to Arkham.[/quote]

Eckhart signed a 2 movie deal back when Two-Face didn't even appear until the next film.

[quote name='Other-in-law' post='1458788' date='Jul 28 2008, 05.28']As someone upthread said, various little complaints about the movie, but the brilliance of Ledger's performance renders them trivial.

One of my favourite moments, however, was when the rather intense convict intimidates an official on the prison ferry into giving him the detonator, and then throws it out the window. I haven't seen the movie a second time so I don't recall his exact words beyond "I'll do what you should have done ten (?) minutes ago". I'm not sure if he actually ever lied about wanting to blow up the other ferry, or is the audience just lead to assume that he wants to? Great scene, either way.[/quote]

FYI, that wasn't just some random intense convict, that was Tommy 'Tiny' Lister a.k.a. Zeus from [i]No Holds Barred[/i] a.k.a. the President of the Galaxy in [i]the Fifth Element[/i] a.k.a Awesomeness Incarnate.

[quote name='Slurktan' post='1459359' date='Jul 28 2008, 15.19']FYI, that wasn't just some random intense convict, that was Tommy 'Tiny' Lister a.k.a. Zeus from [i]No Holds Barred[/i] a.k.a. the President of the Galaxy in [i]the Fifth Element[/i] a.k.a Awesomeness Incarnate.[/quote]

You left out Deebo. I liked that scene which I don't think I normally would because I got the impression that Deebo doesn't fuck around and play games for anyone.

They had said that that ferry had prisoners from Arkham and when I saw Lister and he had those weird scar/tattoos, I was sure we were being introduced to Killer Croc. But I don't think so based on how that scene ended. One of the few uplifting moments of a very grim film.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1458238' date='Jul 27 2008, 15.04']Honestly I don't care what villain they do or what character they add. Penguin, Catwoman.. shit at this point they can do Superman and I wouldn't care as long as Nolan and Goyer are involved. I was very skeptical about Ledger being the Joker at first but I grew into it as time went on. Watching the movie, he blew me away. I'm firmly convinced that Nolan & Co. know what they're doing. I say give them as much freedom as possible because they've done too good of a job to deny them.[/quote]

Abso-fuckin'-lutely. :thumbsup:

[quote name='LogicWarrior' post='1458738' date='Jul 28 2008, 03.13']lol at every response on pg 6. It's a guy who wears makeup and kills people, for fuck's sake, there isn't any interpretation for that besides chaotic force of nature. Most comic book movies give the villain a cheesy background story and motivation that takes up a lot of time that could be better spent on action. TDK threw that convention out the window, which makes it a great comic book movie, but it's not a deep, oscar-worthy film in any way.

and i admit, the joker is a 3 dimensional character, he kills people, does villain monologues, AND makes jokes. OMG OSCAR![/quote]

Are you 12? :o There was a ton more to the movie than that.

The Joker wasn't some painted up fruit-cake tossing bombs like they were pies - nothing he said or did was truly random despite his proclaimed love of Chaos.
Characters (and the audience) were manipulated like puppets: each trap was carefully planned and executed. The face-paint was camoflague for a brilliant mind (a bit tattered at the edges) that knew how to exploit human psychology. [i]Just a little push. [/i]It was like watching Jon Doe's masterpiece in [i]Se7en[/i], only multiplied in complexity and size - pull one string and the entire city shakes.
The one semi-unpredictable (and yet at the same time predictable) piece of the puzzle was Batman himself. He made the Joker's plans not only possible, but also unpossible - a dichotomy that the Joker would love. [i]You complete me.[/i]

The Joker also saw Batman as a kindred spirit - though viewed from the other side of the spectrum. [i]Don't talk like them.[/i] Something that is both repellant to Batman, and the audience, but true. They're outcasts from society - only Batman uses his place for good, while the Joker uses it for chaos.

[i]You're going to have to break your one rule.[/i] A plan that came true, but not probably how the Joker envisioned. [i]I killed those people, I can do that because I'm not a hero.
[/i]

I think that makes sense...

I think I need to see it again...

Third time's the charm?

He was in a movie about heroin addiction that was nothing short of amazing recently. I misremember the name--I watched it on a motel TV sopmewhere in Wyoming, and didn't think to find out its name. He played opposite a pretty little blonde thing who he corrupted and and ruined so badly she ended up hooking and he ended up in men's restrooms.

[quote name='Soloman Grundy' post='1459683' date='Jul 28 2008, 18.44']He was in a movie about heroin addiction that was nothing short of amazing recently. I misremember the name--I watched it on a motel TV sopmewhere in Wyoming, and didn't think to find out its name. He played opposite a pretty little blonde thing who he corrupted and and ruined so badly she ended up hooking and he ended up in men's restrooms.[/quote]

The movie was called Candy and the pretty little blonde girl was Abbie Cornish.

His first line was something like "I didn't [i]mean[/i] to ruin her life, it just sort of happened," I hadn't slept for two days and five minutes in I went for a cup of coffee it was so good.

Archived