Anticipation 2009 (Montreal Worldcon)

Kat

LooN,

[quote name='Lord of Oop North' post='1488270' date='Aug 20 2008, 20.50']Partying > problems.[/quote]

I'm not disagreeing. I'm simply pointing out it's logisitically difficult to do the "party train" and party at Worldcon. I would still like to know if there is secure parking at the Amtrack Station in NYC and how much that parking costs?

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1488708' date='Aug 21 2008, 07.16']LooN,
I'm not disagreeing. I'm simply pointing out it's logisitically difficult to do the "party train" and party at Worldcon. I would still like to know if there is secure parking at the Amtrack Station in NYC and how much that parking costs?[/quote]

There is secure parking all over NYC and definitely near Penn Station, but it will cost an arm and a leg. I'll venture to say at least $50 a day, probably more. In other words, don't bother.

Leaving your car in a NYC garage for 4 to 5 days probably costs more than a plane ticket.

There's a common joke that illustrates this:

A well-dressed and manicured woman walks into a Manhattan bank and says to the banker, "I'm going abroad for three months and I would like to take out a loan for $5,000 to cover my expenses." The banker sees that the woman is fairly well off and, after doing a quick credit check confirms that she has plenty of money. But he doesn't ask questions and tells her that she could certainly be approved, but because of regulations she has to offer some sort of collateral.

The woman says, "I have a Mercedes double-parked outside. Is that ok?" The banker confirms that it is, finishes the paperwork, gives her the cash and she leaves. The Mercedes gets held in the bank's garage.

Three months later, the woman returns from her trip, hands over the borrowed cash plus interest (amounting to about $300) and asks for her car back. The banker complies, but as she's leaving he can't help but ask her, "Ma'am, I'm sorry but I have to ask out of curiosity. You obviously didn't need the money. Can I ask why you needed the loan?"

She smiled and replied, "Do you know anywhere else that charges me only $300 to park my car in Manhattan for three months?"

/end threadjack

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1488708' date='Aug 21 2008, 04.16']I'm not disagreeing. I'm simply pointing out it's logisitically difficult to do the "party train" and party at Worldcon. I would still like to know if there is secure parking at the Amtrack Station in NYC and how much that parking costs?[/quote]

The 'logistics' of planning the party train consist of someone deciding when they are going and everyone else booking at the same time. It's not like there are formal on-train events to plan. You go on the train and find the bar car.

We are definitely going to this one. We haven't decided if we are going to drive up or not.
I don't know if I want to subject my wee car to the giant pothole that is the Trans Canada Highway through New Brunswick. Mr. Tyr will have to scope out the biking trails and decide if he wants to take his bike or not, and I know he doesn't want to check it on the plane. The train from here might be kinda fun too, but I imagine we'll fly.

For those coming from the UK, France or Italy, check out [url="http://www.flyzoom.com/index.cfm?lang=EN&country=UK"]Zoom Airlines[/url]. I've flown with them twice: to Glasgow two years ago, and to Belfast last year. They are much cheaper than most airlines.

I am a maybe. Depends how many vacation days I can save up by then. I'm also planning a trip to Africa next year (stupid boyfriend taking off to Tanzania), so money *may* be a factor.

snow "ummm maple candy :drool: " leo

[quote name='Tyria' post='1489757' date='Aug 21 2008, 22.12']For those coming from the UK, France or Italy, check out [url="http://www.flyzoom.com/index.cfm?lang=EN&country=UK"]Zoom Airlines[/url]. I've flown with them twice: to Glasgow two years ago, and to Belfast last year. They are much cheaper than most airlines.[/quote]

Thanks Tyria :) Flights are already up for Glasgow to Toronto - so it gives a start point for the savings... I'm assuming that Toronto would be the city to fly into - the other option on the east of Canada is Halifax. Also flights from London Gatwick to New York JFK (though they don't have next August's flights up yet) look pretty reasonable so there's the party train option :D

Btw, here is a list of destinations served from Montreal airport and the name of the airline that operates the service.

[url="http://www.admtl.com/passager/services_aeriens/DestinationsServedInternational.aspx"]International List[/url]
[url="http://www.admtl.com/passager/services_aeriens/DestinationsServedUnitedStates.aspx"]US List[/url]
[url="http://www.admtl.com/passager/services_aeriens/DestinationsServedUnitedStates.aspx"]Canada List[/url]

Edited to add: I should add that this list could change next year.

[quote name='tenalpia' post='1490327' date='Aug 22 2008, 06.25']Thanks Tyria :) Flights are already up for Glasgow to Toronto - so it gives a start point for the savings... I'm assuming that Toronto would be the city to fly into - the other option on the east of Canada is Halifax. Also flights from London Gatwick to New York JFK (though they don't have next August's flights up yet) look pretty reasonable so there's the party train option :D[/quote]
According to the current info, Zoom also flies from Glasgow to Ottawa, where you can hop a train to Montreal. It's a short ride, maybe two hours or so, with WiFi access on board. :)

[url="http://www.viarail.ca/trains/en_trai_onta_moal.html"]http://www.viarail.ca/trains/en_trai_onta_moal.html[/url]

Edited to ask: Mormont, are you bringing a Scrabble board with you? :leer:

[quote name='mormont' post='1490357' date='Aug 22 2008, 05.11']I'm a definite, paid the con membership already. :)[/quote]

Did you happen to find an online membership thing anywhere, or did you send in the form?

Edit: Scot, I brought up the Party Train idea in the first place because of the cost of flying from the West Coast is prohibitively high. (Apparently the cost of crossing the Canadian border doubles the price of an airline ticket...bah.) I thought others who had to fly from far away might be in the same boat, and, well, there's lots of flights that go to NYC and a train from there to Montreal. If there's a better city to fly into, I'm happy to consider it...but the train thing may not be the best idea for everyone depending on where they live and how many people they're planning to travel with and there car or lack thereof, you know? (Long-term parking is obviously not a problem for those of us flying across the country or from overseas.)

I didn't realize so many people would be interested in the idea, but the more the merrier. :) Since flights from SF to NYC are easy to find, I was just going to book a train ticket in advance probably for Wednesday the 5th, travel all day Wed, and then be there for all of the con. Maybe find a hostel for that first night before the con and then move to a hotel the next day. By the way, is it correct that the con is actually Thursday-Monday rather than Wednesday-Sunday?

[quote name='Angalin' post='1490789' date='Aug 22 2008, 16.58']Edited to ask: Mormont, are you bringing a Scrabble board with you? :leer:[/quote]

I doubt we'll be playing much Scrabble, unless you know some sort of variant with drinking involved. :P

[quote name='Kat' post='1490923' date='Aug 22 2008, 18.02']Did you happen to find an online membership thing anywhere, or did you send in the form?[/quote]

I got the name of the Euro agent off the web-page and sent him a form and an email. :)

[quote name='Angalin' post='1490789' date='Aug 22 2008, 16.58']According to the current info, Zoom also flies from Glasgow to Ottawa, where you can hop a train to Montreal. It's a short ride, maybe two hours or so, with WiFi access on board. :)

[url="http://www.viarail.ca/trains/en_trai_onta_moal.html"]http://www.viarail.ca/trains/en_trai_onta_moal.html[/url][/quote]

Ooooh another good option... thanks :)

[quote name='mormont' post='1491080' date='Aug 22 2008, 19.44']I doubt we'll be playing much Scrabble, unless you know some sort of variant with drinking involved. :P[/quote]

I thought that every game had a variant with drinking involved... :unsure:

[quote name='Pebble that Hides' post='1492271' date='Aug 23 2008, 17.17']I can't look at flights for August next year yet! only go up to July.

Gah! and I was thinking about booking up right now, so I wouldn't have time to change my mind latter.[/quote]

You will not be allowed to change your mind.

:)

Archived