NFL Week 2

Ser Paladin

[quote name='Andrik the Unsmiling' post='1521189' date='Sep 16 2008, 21.27']If they want to keep some hope alive for a competitive season, they NEED to win this week against Detroit.[/quote]

I'm trying to keep perspective here. After all, my requirement for an acceptable season this year was watcheable football, not wins. But yeah, no cupcakes until after the bye and playing both the NFC East and the AFC North. Ouch. Bad year to try that.

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1521166' date='Sep 16 2008, 22.45'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPo4vKoPd8Y&eurl=http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/"]For those who went to sleep[/url] :rofl:

The funny thing about it, is that it needed to be challenged. It was called a touchdown.[/quote]
I thought it was challenged. The official reviewed it and everything. In any case, it wasn't called a touchdown, because Westbrook had to run it in from the one on the next play. Hence Mexal's 50 bucks comment a couple pages back.

[quote]How does Dallas do against a decent defense?[/quote]
Thing is, I'm pretty sure Philly [i]has[/i] a decent defense.

[quote name='add-on' post='1521205' date='Sep 17 2008, 00.46']I thought it was challenged. The official reviewed it and everything. In any case, it wasn't called a touchdown, because Westbrook had to run it in from the one on the next play. Hence Mexal's 50 bucks comment a couple pages back.[/quote]

??? Yeah. Did you watch the clip. Did you read my post? I was simply posting it for humor value (can't get enough of it) and for those who missed it for various reasons. One could complain that the officials missed that call as well. Why did Dallas even need to challenge it.

I am not sure we know who has what for a Defense at this point, but I think Green Bay is a little faster. Their line is also a little bigger.

In other news. Bob Sanders out again. ESPN is reporting actual news - Sanders will miss 4-6 weeks with a high ankle sprain. Colts are realy [i]limping[/i] through this first month. We really need a emoticon banging a drum.

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1521424' date='Sep 17 2008, 08.40']In other news. Bob Sanders out again. ESPN is reporting actual news - Sanders will miss 4-6 weeks with a high ankle sprain. Colts are realy [i]limping[/i] through this first month. We really need a emoticon banging a drum.[/quote]

I see another 300 yard rushing game from the Jags this week.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1521952' date='Sep 17 2008, 15.13']That's awesome news for Minnesota if true, and could make them seriously fearsome.[/quote]

Kal, did you just use the phrase "seriously fearsome" in regard to a Gus Frerotte QBed team?

[quote]Kal, did you just use the phrase "seriously fearsome" in regard to a Gus Frerotte QBed team?[/quote]
[quote]You saw that they will be starting frerotte, right?[/quote]

Yep! Think about it this way: this is a team that held Peyton Manning down and drove against their defense fairly easily - except they couldn't get any threat past the red zone. This is a team that has a very good defense, a strong O-line, a good running game and only really needs a mediocre at best passer. As long as they don't have a passer that makes mistakes, they'll be really scary. If that passer can make passes a couple times a game, they'll be one of the better offenses in the league and be able to put pressure on the opposing offense to score, which should help a bit.

I'd be worried if I were in the NFC North.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1522008' date='Sep 17 2008, 13.05']Yep! Think about it this way: this is a team that held Peyton Manning down and drove against their defense fairly easily - except they couldn't get any threat past the red zone. This is a team that has a very good defense, a strong O-line, a good running game and only really needs a mediocre at best passer. As long as they don't have a passer that makes mistakes, they'll be really scary. If that passer can make passes a couple times a game, they'll be one of the better offenses in the league and be able to put pressure on the opposing offense to score, which should help a bit.[/quote]

Uh... It's gus Frerotte. Are you really suggesting he can do any of those things?

[quote]Uh... It's gus Frerotte. Are you really suggesting he can do any of those things?[/quote]Yes, I am. He's got a better long ball and makes better decisions. What he lacks is accuracy and running speed.

Minnesota doesn't need someone stellar; they need someone decent. Frerotte, from all I've seen, is decent.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1522008' date='Sep 17 2008, 16.05']Yep! Think about it this way: this is a team that held Peyton Manning down and drove against their defense fairly easily - except they couldn't get any threat past the red zone. This is a team that has a very good defense, a strong O-line, a good running game and only really needs a mediocre at best passer. As long as they don't have a passer that makes mistakes, they'll be really scary. If that passer can make passes a couple times a game, they'll be one of the better offenses in the league and be able to put pressure on the opposing offense to score, which should help a bit.

I'd be worried if I were in the NFC North.[/quote]

Agree with all that. Just not sure Frerotte can provide a mediocre passing game. He's 38 now, and at his absolute peak he was the definition of mediocre. If he can convert on most of those makable third downs Tavaris missed, I'm with you, they'll have bridged the small gap between them and the two strong teams they lost to. It's just a question of what he is at this point in his career. When you dig out that old lawnmower from the garage, you never know if it'll still run.

Got to love Joey Porter: ESPN Blog - [url="http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-3-108/Joey-Porter--Cassel--shouldn-t-be-that-hard-.html"]"Cassel Shouldn't be that hard"[/url]

"[quote]I just know he's not a [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2330"]Tom Brady[/url]," Porter said. "So if it's not Tom Brady, it shouldn't be that hard."[/quote]

[quote]"It'll be good to go out there and get our first victory."[/quote]

:thumbsup:

I like Belchick today, saying that is was a little different preparing for the Dolphins without Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas. But then he went on his regular they are the team of the decade routine. I think you can read between the lines.

[quote]I'd be worried if I were in the NFC North[/quote]

I'm a packer fan and I'm not terribly concerned. The vikings have a way of taking great talent and finding a way to lose with it. A few years back when they had culpepper and moss they were tauted to be an elite team (yes, people used to think that culpepper was a top flight qb) and they failed accomplish much at all with those teams. There is a lot more to winning than talent, which between adrian peterson and the defensive team they have in droves. Due to this I cann't write them off yet. I strongly suspect that as the season nears its end we will be looking at a coaching change in MN and questions about how that much talent can fail to win.

I would definately not use the phrase "fearsome", but the sentiment is there.

Ferrott can manage the game and keep you in the game for another part of the team to actually win it. His arm is good, he makes good decisions, and he won't actively lose the game. My issues would be accuracy and the ability to win you the game. In other words, from time to time, you will need him to put the Vikes over the top. There will be games when the opposing team stops Adrian Peterson and is winning the battle of the field goals. Its 9-3 with 3:14 let to play... you need a TD and you need your guy under center to deliver it (to say NOTHING of games when you are down 15-0 and need Peyton Manning).

The problem was that the team ACTIVELY did not trust Jackson. They felt he would LOSE the game for them. Ferrott will not strike them with that type of fear. At the same time, he may not inspire them enough where they think he can WIN a game for them.

[quote name='Swordfish' post='1523647' date='Sep 18 2008, 17.49']So some friends and I were just trying to set the over under on how soon Moss melts down if Cassel doesn't get him the ball often enough.

I'm saying week 7.[/quote]

I was worrying about that too, but it wasn't like Cassel didn't want to pass to Moss. The Jets had him double-teamed for pretty much the entire game, and Cassel did a good job of noticing when they didn't and trying for it (and oh how I thought they almost had it!). Obviously he can't bomb as much as Brady, that's just not who he is, but I think Moss will be utilized more than he was against the Jets.

Or else he freaks out. :cry:

Archived