A Memory of Light (Vols I & II & III) Thread Three: The Arguments Reborn

Zoë Sumra

[quote name='Shryke' post='1743782' date='Apr 3 2009, 13.26']Yes.

Do you never watch the same movie twice? Never watch the same episode twice?[/quote]

I do watch some movies more than once, and it takes a couple of hours (I am actually DVRing Rome and watching it all again). Rereading a 700 page book takes me much longer than that. I am not near as prolific of a reader as many of you and just have so many books I want to read once before I reread stuff.

To mushiara: I make no claims on remembering even close to everything and think I probably miss a lot of details.

To those of you who have read the WoT books multiple times which are the best reads, or would be the best to reread? They all kind of flow together for me. I remember in the EofTW he first fights a forsaken, but from then on I don't remember where all the major plot points occured.

EDIT: (P.S. I forget, I did read The Walking Drum twice by L'Amour and did really enjoy both readings. I wish he would not have died so he could have written another tale of Kerbouchard as planned.)

[quote name='Werthead' post='1743841' date='Apr 3 2009, 13.55']You could also consult Wikipedia or the dedicated [url="http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/A_beginning"]WoT Wiki[/url] to refresh your memory on certain topics.[/quote]

How many fantasy book sites do I need saved to my favorites? :idea: I barely have time to put in a blurb on here once in a while.

I just re-read, or rather skimmed through my favorite parts of books 1-5. There is still a lot there to be enjoyed.

Jordan can do action scenes quite well and when his epic-sounding prose works, it really works.

[quote name='wolverine' post='1743832' date='Apr 3 2009, 14.52']I do watch some movies more than once[/quote]

The time it takes is irrelevant. It's the same thing in the end. You already know the ending, why would you watch a movie more then once?

Because it's not about how it ends, it's about the movie/book/etc as a whole. You enjoy the experience.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1743877' date='Apr 3 2009, 14.14']The time it takes is irrelevant. It's the same thing in the end. You already know the ending, why would you watch a movie more then once?[/quote]

The time is not irrelevant. A lot of times I do not have any movies that I have never seen to watch, plus my wife always falls asleep and wants to watch a movie I have seen. If I do rewatch a movie it is 2 hours of my time (whether or not I enjoy it).

Rereading a book uses up a lot of time that I would otherwise use to read a NEW book, and get a whole new experience. If I am rewatching a movie it is because I have no new movie I want to watch. I always have tons of books I want to read.

EDIT: I just wanted to say Shryke's sig is hilarious.

[quote]If I am rewatching a movie it is because I have no new movie I want to watch.[/quote]

See, this is just ... strange. I rewatch movies/TV and reread books all the time. Because it's enjoyable. Because it IS a new experience the second/third/etc time.

[quote name='wolverine' post='1743832' date='Apr 3 2009, 14.52']To those of you who have read the WoT books multiple times which are the best reads, or would be the best to reread? They all kind of flow together for me. I remember in the EofTW he first fights a forsaken, but from then on I don't remember where all the major plot points occured.[/quote]

I've read most WoT books 4 times, I think. However, the past two times, my re-read has gone as follows

Books 1-3 - Very enjoyable.

Books 4-5 - The highlight of my re-read, usually. I find these two books to be the most enjoyable by far.

Books 6-7 - Enjoyable, but not as much as the preceding books.

Books 8-9 - This is where my interest in the series drops (at least on re-reads). I have only read Winter's Heart all the way through twice, and the following books once.

I'm planning on re-reading all of WoT before reading A Memory of Light.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1743910' date='Apr 3 2009, 14.37']See, this is just ... strange. I rewatch movies/TV and reread books all the time. Because it's enjoyable. Because it IS a new experience the second/third/etc time.[/quote]

I am not saying it would not be enjoyable to reread books. I am just saying that my priorities are more on reading something new. I do not get as much reading in as many of the people on this website. I only read about 15-25 books a year.

Question: Why did they seal the Forsaken at Shayol Ghul? Why didn't they kill them, or even better kill them with bale fire so they could not return? I assume they sealed The Dark One because they coulndn't kill him. It has been shown numerous times that Forsaken are mortal.

[quote name='wolverine' post='1743921' date='Apr 3 2009, 15.44']I am not saying it would not be enjoyable to reread books. I am just saying that my priorities are more on reading something new. I do not get as much reading in as many of the people on this website. I only read about 15-25 books a year.

Question: Why did they seal the Forsaken at Shayol Ghul? Why didn't they kill them, or even better kill them with bale fire so they could not return? I assume they sealed The Dark One because they coulndn't kill him. It has been shown numerous times that Forsaken are mortal.[/quote]

They couldn't kill them at the time? They were too busy sealing the bore and the Forsaken got caught in a backwash of some sort?

No one really knows beyond "If they could have killed them, they would have".

[quote name='Shryke' post='1743782' date='Apr 3 2009, 13.26']Do you never watch the same movie twice? Never watch the same episode twice?[/quote]

You have no idea how many times I use that argument when I get crap for re-reading.

However, I will say I do a lot of selective re-reading. A lot of times I will skim the 'boring' parts to get to the good stuff. Each time I pick up a book, my opinion of what is boring may change. Sometimes I will follow a particular storyline or POV - aSoIaF makes this really easy to do. Sometimes focusing on one aspect helps focus things and you pick something up too. I guess what I'm saying is that each time I re-read a book, it is a slightly different experience and for slightly different reasons.

edit: I totally get what you are saying Wolverine, you'd rather read a new book with your time. Most of my reading time is just before bed, and I keep a book with me for the unexpected down times you find yourself with. Mostly it's not large chunks of time, but it all adds up :) The good thing about reading an old book is that you don't find yourself staying up until 3:00 am 'cause you just HAVE to see what happens next.

[quote name='wolverine' post='1743921' date='Apr 3 2009, 15.44']Question: Why did they seal the Forsaken at Shayol Ghul? Why didn't they kill them, or even better kill them with bale fire so they could not return? I assume they sealed The Dark One because they coulndn't kill him. It has been shown numerous times that Forsaken are mortal.[/quote]

IIRC, the Forsaken just so happened to be at Shayol Ghul at the time, and so got sealed along with the Dark One. As for why they weren't killed, well, I can guess that perhaps Lews Therin didn't want to risk missing an opportunity at sealing the Dark One immediately; I'm fairly sure the "strike" on Shayol Ghul was a last-ditch effort to "fix things."

[quote name='irriadin' post='1743916' date='Apr 3 2009, 14.42']I've read most WoT books 4 times, I think. However, the past two times, my re-read has gone as follows

Books 1-3 - Very enjoyable.

Books 4-5 - The highlight of my re-read, usually. I find these two books to be the most enjoyable by far.

Books 6-7 - Enjoyable, but not as much as the preceding books.

Books 8-9 - This is where my interest in the series drops (at least on re-reads). I have only read Winter's Heart all the way through twice, and the following books once.

I'm planning on re-reading all of WoT before reading A Memory of Light.[/quote]

Thanks, that seems to be the impression of many readers. From my memory I did not notice a drop off until about book 8.

[quote name='irriadin' post='1743936' date='Apr 3 2009, 14.50']IIRC, the Forsaken just so happened to be at Shayol Ghul at the time, and so got sealed along with the Dark One. As for why they weren't killed, well, I can guess that perhaps Lews Therin didn't want to risk missing an opportunity at sealing the Dark One immediately; I'm fairly sure the "strike" on Shayol Ghul was a last-ditch effort to "fix things."[/quote]

I suppose they have no way of selectively accessing the prison or releasing them one at a time to kill 'em all. That would be too convenient.

[quote name='Milk of the Poppy' post='1743965' date='Apr 3 2009, 16.11']Book 8 - is this where Faile gets kidnapped and the Knitting Circle come into their own?[/quote]

Faile gets captured at the VERY end of Path of Daggers. The Knitting Circle, uh. I think so... Honestly, I try not to remember that portion of the book as it is rather painful to read.

[quote name='Milk of the Poppy' post='1743965' date='Apr 3 2009, 15.11']Book 8 - is this where Faile gets kidnapped and the Knitting Circle come into their own?[/quote]

Probably, I really could have done without a thousand pages of the Perrilonian Excile in the books. I know he is T'averen, but it gets really old. I am really annoyed at how Rand can't fight or let others execute women either, regardless of whether or not they are murdering, torturing, vile, evil forsaken (i.e. Moghedian).

[quote name='wolverine' post='1743760' date='Apr 3 2009, 11.14']Someone in the other thread said they have reread the first 5 books about two dozen times. Assuming they are exaggerating a little that is about 20 reads of 5 500-800 page books. How is it still interesting to read it again, and again, and again,....[/quote]

Really. No exaggeration. When there were5-7 books, I'd read the series CONTINUOUSLY. Get to the end and go right back to the beginning. Not every night. But I had ten years. And still I'd find things I'd missed before.

I read ASOIAF the same way for a very long time. I love re-reads. Most of my favorites I've read a half-dozen times or more.

Archived