A Memory of Light (Vols I & II & III) Thread Three: The Arguments Reborn

Zoë Sumra

[quote name='publius' post='1749323' date='Apr 8 2009, 08.53']If they were to find a way to bring RJ back from the dead to finish the AMOL, then there would be complaints of bloating and a need for editing.[/quote]
:rofl:

[quote name='wolverine' post='1748801' date='Apr 7 2009, 18.02']Did he say he strangled a guy because he was comfortable eating next to dead people?[/quote]
:lmao: Wolverine wins the thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Over at Dragonmount, there's a small synopsis of a chapter that RJ outlined before he passed away. Small spoilers for anyone worried about that, I guess, but very small indeed because

SPOILER: AMOL
No major characters appear, which was a little disappointing for me. Also, I wonder if this storm metaphor will be overused? I feel like it's being bashed over my head just from the title and the synopsis alone

That sounds like an awesome scene, better than most books do in describing a pending doom. The actions of the characters works better than the physical storm on the horizon, IMO. That's a bit much, even though it gives a physical reason/direction.

Also, glad there was a RJ precedent to the title, which was probablly the Prologue title before the book split.

I'd assume that it's going to be in the last book despite what the thread title says at Dragonmount. Unless Tarmon Gaiden is really starting that soon. Anyways I thought it is awesome, hope to hear RJ saying it at some point.

It's something that ... irks me about end of the world battles like say in the Fionavar Tapestry; if everything you know is going to be destroyed if you lose why wouldn't you bring everyone and everything to the fight, men, women, children, whatever.

I'd assume that it's going to be in the last book despite what the thread title says at Dragonmount. Unless Tarmon Gaiden is really starting that soon. Anyways I thought it is awesome, hope to hear RJ saying it at some point.

It's something that ... irks me about end of the world battles like say in the Fionavar Tapestry; if everything you know is going to be destroyed if you lose why wouldn't you bring everyone and everything to the fight, men, women, children, whatever.

According to a report by Isabel on the Jordancon posted at theoryland forums, half of the prologue that Jordan wrote in A Memory of Light will turn up in the 12th book (The Gathering Storm), and the second half will be in the 14th and last book. So its possible that the described scene its going to go into the last book, but going by the naming I would guess its going into The Gathering Storm, the events fits that title perfectly.

And according to "douglasm", in the WOT-reread thread at TOR.com, A Memory of Light mainly is focusing on 4 separate plot threads, until they all coincide for the start of Tarmon Gaidon. The Gathering Storm is going to focus mainly on two of these plot threads and include climaxes for these, but also touch on other characters and the beginning of the other two plot threads. The second book (Shifting Winds) is then going to focus on the other two plot threads and their climaxes plus the aftermath of the first two. And the last book is then going to be about the buildup and the last battle.

http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1587

http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_co...og&id=22486

So the question then is what two plot threads is going to be focused on in The Gathering Storm? For starters my guess, based on what Brandon has previously stated, would be that the four plot threads are:

1. Rand and company

2. Perrin and company

3. Mat and company

4. Egwene and the White Tower

Im not certain where the Black Tower fits in though? Done separately in smaller parts or is it included in the Rand plot thread?

And what two plot threads do I think will be focused on in The Gathering Storm?? Well going by the leaked early cover, one of them is propably the Rand plot thread. The other one could be Mat, because I think that the Moiraine rescue is going to have to be done quite early. But according to many theories Perrin will have to save Rand again, so it also could be Perrin. It could also be Egwene and the White Tower going by how urgent this plotline seemed to be in Knife of Dreams. And Rand being on the cover doesn't really guarantee anything either, CoT for example had a cover of Mat when that book mostly focused on Elayne and Egwene.

So its propably impossible to tell which the two plot threads really are. Or does anyone have a theory? And sorry for my wooden english, its not my mother tongue :unsure:.

So the question then is what two plot threads is going to be focused on in The Gathering Storm?

The answer seems to be Rand and Egwene:

Tarmon Gai’don, the Last Battle, looms. And mankind is not ready.

A Memory of Light was partially finished by Robert Jordan before his untimely passing in 2007. Brandon Sanderson, New York Times bestselling author of the Mistborn books, was chosen by Jordan’s editor - his wife, Harriet McDougal - to complete the final book. The scope and size of the novel was such that it can not be contained in a single volume, and so Tor proudly presents A Memory of Light: Gathering Clouds as the first in a short sequence of novels that will complete the struggle against the Shadow, bringing to a close a journey begun almost twenty years ago and marking the conclusion of the Wheel of Time, the preeminent fantasy epic of our era.

In this epic novel, Robert Jordan’s international bestselling series begins its dramatic conclusion. Rand al’Thor, the Dragon Reborn, struggles to unite a fractured network of kingdoms and alliances in preparation for the Last Battle. As he attempts to halt the Seanchan encroachment northward - wishing he could form at least a temporary truce with the invaders - his allies work in desperation to forestall the shadow that seems to be growing within the heart of the Dragon Reborn himself.

Egwene al’Vere, the Amyrlin Seat of the rebel Aes Sedai, is a captive of the White Tower and subject to the whims of their tyrannical leader. As days tick toward the Seanchan attack she knows is imminent, Egwene works to hold together the disparate factions of Aes Sedai while providing leadership in the face of increasing uncertainty and despair. Her fight will prove the mettle of the Aes Sedai, and her conflict will decide the future of the White Tower - and therefore the world itself.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

http://media.us.macmillan.com/video/olmk/f...r-Fall-09-1.pdf

Cool, nice find, and I love the plot description. Boring not to get the Moiraine rescue in this book, but I think the Rand and Egwene parts will turn out really great. Then we will propably get the resolution to the whole White Tower Issue, the Black Ajah hunt, and the Seanchan attack on the White Tower. Not sure what the Rand parts will be about, but hopefully it will include the coming conflict in the Black Tower and of course as the plot description states, his dealings with the Seanchan.

Cool, nice find, and I love the plot description. Boring not to get the Moiraine rescue in this book, but I think the Rand and Egwene parts will turn out really great. Then we will propably get the resolution to the whole White Tower Issue, the Black Ajah hunt, and the Seanchan attack on the White Tower. Not sure what the Rand parts will be about, but hopefully it will include the coming conflict in the Black Tower and of course as the plot description states, his dealings with the Seanchan.

Why couldn't the Moiraine rescue still be in this one? It's a relatively minor plot thread after all.

And why is the book called Gathering Clouds?

Its propably from before they changed the title to "The Gathering Storm" because of bookstore complaints. The title history: "A Memory of Light" --> "A Memory of Light: Gatherings Clouds" --> "The gathering Storm". :lol: Hopefully the last title is here to stay... :)

It could also be a small reference to Min's viewings.

When some of the major characters are together, Min see white lights drying to blot out large black clouds. The more major characters together, the more lights she sees. She usually says the clouds are always winning. I imagine it could be a reference to that as well. (But this is probably thinking too hard on it.)

Seriously, the last time someone saying "The storm is coming," was cool and enigmatic was at the end of Terminator. Even when B5 did it a decade later it was corny and hackneyed, and BSG doing it was just shit. I'd be happy if they really laid off this imagery as it is a horse that is well and truly beaten to death.

According to a report by Isabel on the Jordancon posted at theoryland forums, half of the prologue that Jordan wrote in A Memory of Light will turn up in the 12th book (The Gathering Storm), and the second half will be in the 14th and last book. So its possible that the described scene its going to go into the last book, but going by the naming I would guess its going into The Gathering Storm, the events fits that title perfectly.

It will go into the gathering storm ;) Underneed is also correct.

And according to "douglasm", in the WOT-reread thread at TOR.com, A Memory of Light mainly is focusing on 4 separate plot threads, until they all coincide for the start of Tarmon Gaidon. The Gathering Storm is going to focus mainly on two of these plot threads and include climaxes for these, but also touch on other characters and the beginning of the other two plot threads. The second book (Shifting Winds) is then going to focus on the other two plot threads and their climaxes plus the aftermath of the first two. And the last book is then going to be about the buildup and the last battle.

Seriously, the last time someone saying "The storm is coming," was cool and enigmatic was at the end of Terminator. Even when B5 did it a decade later it was corny and hackneyed, and BSG doing it was just shit. I'd be happy if they really laid off this imagery as it is a horse that is well and truly beaten to death.

It was cool when you heard RJ say it! It was really amazing hearing RJ tell it.

It also made me teary eyed. He told it, while he was clearly very very ill.

It does fit rather too well with the story though. Nynaeve's been saying it since... Book 8? A storm is coming...

If overdone, this can be a pain, I suppose. But this scene sounded really fine, with all the "end of the world" symbolism.

As for the main PoVs... finally we get the major male and female protagonists in one book? Cool. I think we'll see a continuation of the mirroring of these two character's stories, and I hope they meet up in the end of this book. Given that the Seanchan are involved in both story-lines, that certainly seems a possibility!

A wild prediction: the White Tower will be spectacularly destroyed in the climax of this book.

Why couldn't the Moiraine rescue still be in this one? It's a relatively minor plot thread after all.

After the Cleansing scenes in WH, I always figured Moiraine would be rescued, assuming she was in the first place, with about the same amount of detail and page length if not less that Jordan gave that event. Maybe with a few chapters scattered in between to heighten tension.

Unfortunately your question should be "why isn't the book still called Gathering Clouds"? It's bad enough to take a title from Kate Elliott, but to take one that actually makes little sense as I once pointed out to her half-jokingly. A storm builds. It grows. Clouds gather. A storm really does not gather. Unless you are talking several systems coming together I guess. Which I suspect from everything I've read on Jordan and now Sanderson's imagery, probably is a bit of leap.

I'm guessing to make it as Jordan-esque as possible, the three books are not only going to be filled with braid tugging, snorting as a commentary, Mat, Perrin and Rand all bemoaning to himself as to why he can't understand women like the other two can, arms folded on chests, women somehow having their vaginas form collectives just by proximity just because a male character dare saw something about one of those women being foolish and everything actually points to that woman having done something foolish.

But the weather theme, while Jordan's with Nynaeve's sense and doom as a cold front moving in fast to the the Dark One's various cultural aspects being weather related, I suspect that Sanderon with Harriet's guidance is going to beat this cow to death and make shoes and not even try for a drop of milk. I think it is rather funny that the title A Memory of Light has turned into something broad and rather meaningless and the people involved could not come up with three titles that tied into that wording despite all the Jordan and WoT expertise at their fingertips.

There is just something Heaven's Gate/Ishtar fascinating about this process as it is unfolding.

Unfortunately your question should be "why isn't the book still called Gathering Clouds"? It's bad enough to take a title from Kate Elliott, but to take one that actually makes little sense as I once pointed out to her half-jokingly. A storm builds. It grows. Clouds gather. A storm really does not gather.

I believe Orbit split the final Crown of Stars book in half and suggested the title. Is that right? In either case, I think either Elliott or Orbit probably felt that if you're going to have a derivative book title, you may as well crimp it from Winston Churchill ;) And as a fantasy book title it works. However, it should really have worked once. Orbit giving another book the same title just four years after the last one is really a bit weird. I'm guessing no-one pointed out this situation to Tor/Tom Doherty/Sanderson/Harriet until it was set in stone. Whoops.

Archived