A Memory of Light (Vols I & II & III) Thread Three: The Arguments Reborn

Zoë Sumra

Books, however, you get the author and an editor keeping him/her in line.

The Wheel of Time is not a great work of literature. But I know it through Robert Jordan's voice. Even at it's weakness, the world was undeniably his.

If you follow this argument through then the original flaws of any author should be preferred to the (perceived) improvements brought about by editing.

After all, an editor is just another parasite that feeds on somebody else's creativity.

"Robert Jordan with Brandon Sanderson", eh?

Better than Brandon Sanderson with Robert Jordan, unless we're going to pretend that one had no part in the novel's conception. I suppose you're suggesting that Robert Jordan, under whom this series has been committed to word for the last roughly 20 years, and who conceived and meticulously outlined the final novel (even divided, as it is, in three now) deserves less credit than the dude who penned to prose what has been dictated to him? Or am I reading too much in the comment?

Either way, on the offset, anyone else have this refreshed - glorious, even - feeling at seeing a WoT cover not tarnished by Sweet's Pollock-esque touch?

Either way, on the offset, anyone else have this refreshed - glorious, even - feeling at seeing a WoT cover not tarnished by Sweet's Pollock-esque touch?

The UK publishers stopped using Sweet's covers with Crossroads of Twilight - to the point where they put new covers on all future printings of the previous books.

All my WoT books have that cool symbol on the front in various colours. They are cool looking books. I've seen some older copies around, the ones with the hideous cover art. I'm glad in a way that I didn't get into the series until only a couple of years ago.

Maybe you've seen these before, but i have finally stumbled across some WoT fanart worthy of the name and i was so impressed i decided to pimp it out as much as i possibly could.

This portrait gallery is spectacular, and IMO accurate, as are these two scenes.

After all these years of reading WoT i cant believe i haven't seen them before.

Maybe you've seen these before, but i have finally stumbled across some WoT fanart worthy of the name and i was so impressed i decided to pimp it out as much as i possibly could.

This portrait gallery is spectacular, and IMO accurate, as are these two scenes.

After all these years of reading WoT i cant believe i haven't seen them before.

They're interesting, but highly stylized. It's not a style I'm massively fond of (the Berelain one is particularly odd).

I find it utterly bemusing that given WoT's sales and fanbase, it doesn't have anything even remotely approaching the quality of art that GRRM has for his books, and even Erikson seems to be turning it round with the recruiting of Kormack. The only consistently decent WoT art I've seen published is in the RPG and adventure book. Everything else has been totally lame.

I'd seen most of those pictures before, but I do think they are some of the best WoT fanart out there. A couple are a little off but they are mostly remarkably good in my opinion.

They're interesting, but highly stylized. It's not a style I'm massively fond of (the Berelain one is particularly odd).

Drop dead gorgeous is odd now ?!? :o

Actually i guess it is. I can't remember seeing any relatively normal looking people but i don't mind the artistic license because 1) its awesome 2) everything about WoT is larger than life.

I find it utterly bemusing that given WoT's sales and fanbase, it doesn't have anything even remotely approaching the quality of art that GRRM has for his books, and even Erikson seems to be turning it round with the recruiting of Kormack. The only consistently decent WoT art I've seen published is in the RPG and adventure book. Everything else has been totally lame.

I agree completely with this. After looking for great WoT fanart for years and finding, at best, decent work i was completely shocked after i saw that site because it iss, again IMO, amazing.

ASoIaF definitely heads the list for great fan art but that's only because Amoka is a genius and GRRM worked so closely with him.

Malazan is still at the bottom of the list though. This is the only decent gallery i have seen on Malazan so far.

I'd seen most of those pictures before, but I do think they are some of the best WoT fanart out there. A couple are a little off but they are mostly remarkably good in my opinion.

I only have beef with the Sammael portrait.

Oh and Wert, maybe you'll like this artists work better.

I was actually kind of hoping this thread would turn into a gigantic fan-art comparison.

Drop dead gorgeous is odd now ?!? :o

Come on, she's a hair-dye job away from turning into Jessica Rabbit. They're stylized cartoon pictures, which is a nice approach but I generally prefer something tending more towards realism.

Oh and Wert, maybe you'll like this artists work better.

That's much better, although Shaidar Haran looks like he's about to break out in a cheesy grin and Padan Fain is going a bit too Gollum for my tastes.

I agree with the comments on them being stylized. Many of them look like Street Fighter characters. But they are still kind of cool. They would be great if they made a cartoon of the books.

Well i've looked really hard but i'm just not seeing it.

I'll give you that Saliba (the second artist) did Mat and Rand (in the second picture) better. Maybe Moraine. But for the rest go to Gallagher. In my opinion ofcourse.

I mean yes most of the girls come out cheesy, but i thought he did Faile, Toun, Siaune realistlly and well. I don't know how realistic she is but she came out great none the less.

And seriously which Lan do you prefer.

Just a little question, if I may: I don't remember the character descriptions, are the portraits accurate with the text? Egwene looking vaguely asian, and Aviendha, the girl from a hot desert tribe, a fiar-skinned redhead, among other things?

Well i've looked really hard but i'm just not seeing it.

I'll give you that Saliba (the second artist) did Mat and Rand (in the second picture) better. Maybe Moraine. But for the rest go to Gallagher. In my opinion ofcourse.

I mean yes most of the girls come out cheesy, but i thought he did Faile, Toun, Siaune realistlly and well. I don't know how realistic she is but she came out great none the less.

And seriously which Lan do you prefer.

What I remember of the books, Aviendha's hair in that picture is way too long.

Just a little question, if I may: I don't remember the character descriptions, are the portraits accurate with the text? Egwene looking vaguely asian, and Aviendha, the girl from a hot desert tribe, a fiar-skinned redhead, among other things?

Aviendha is a red head, but pretty sure she wasn't fair skinned. Think of red haired Kurds or Israelis rather than ginger scotts.

The best part about this is there is the lack of "Memory of Light" mention. Just Book 12: The Gathering Storm

I hope Tor follows suite... The whole subtitle idea just felt forced.

I find that to be the worst part.

I was gunning for AMOL Part 1. "The Gathering Storm" is trite garbage.

Archived