Survivor Samoa

Tears of Lys

I just so can't agree with this. He's good - better than most, even - but not great.

Agreed. I think his play aptitude is artificially elevated due to the utter drabness of the other players, careful editing, and massive overexposure.

I just so can't agree with this. He's good - better than most, even - but not great.

Why, because you don't like him? That's just solid reasoning.

Watch the videos on the CBS website of behind the scenes and of the Survivors in the jury at their home after the island. They all say Russell is completely running the Foa Foa's so it isn't just that the editing only makes it appear so. The other side has noticed. It's also illuminating in that Jaison and Mick are basically referred to as a couple of non-entities because they pretty much suck at everything and don't do anything strategically whatsoever.

I'm sorry if I don't want to see a Good Ole Boy win $1 million, even if he is smart. Generally, I like strategy. I don't mind people who are cunning and devious. I just can't abide by people who seem to be, for all intents and purposes, complete and total assholes with few redeeming personal qualities.

I described earlier why I thought that Russel was not the Best Player Ever while the game was still in two tribes--he was indecisive with his tribal strategy and totally winged it. I thought he could have picked better people to take with him to the finale, if that's what he was planning. He's stepped up his game since the merge and I think his strategy is slightly better now than it was before. He's only coming off well because everyone else has either poor strategy or their team has issues.

I would love to see Russel in a game that actually had a social strategy element from Day 1, which this game lacked until 2 weeks ago. I think he'd be eaten alive by some of the social schemers this show has had, such as (recently) Todd and Parvati and that one guy who WJ really likes from that season I didn't see. (Help me out here. :P)

Tom? JT?

On the first or second page I posted a link about how Russell is not all that. I would LOVE to see Russell on an All Star series - his social (lol, as if) skills are worse than none. He is not convincing. Yes, I know we are hearing him only in his interviews, but we DO see how he has chosen to interact with others. His body language gives him away. He likes to lean in far too closely, he leans back with his hands on his hips, and he crosses his arms often. He buddied up with the racist dude. Not only is he is faking a New Orleans accent to gain sympathy, he isn't faking it well or consistently. He is extremely bullying in the words he uses and how he uses them - he talks very fast and at length. That is a common sales trick to get someone to agree with you becuase they are hoping you just go away.

*shrug* My shrink has been working on helping me develop skills to pick out indicators a man is toxic so I can stop dating losers. There isn't one thing about Russell that says he is a good guy. Everything about him screams jackass user.

Now that is a lot of venim and bile for some guy I have only seen on TV, isn't it? Well, its because he is a clone of my ex husband and there aren't many people worse than him.

Yeah, in one of his interviews he said he was going to get people to feel sorry for him by saying he was in New Orleans during Katrina. Then it went to a bit showing one of the random blondes going on at how horrible that must have been forhim.

Why, because you don't like him? That's just solid reasoning.

No, I can give credit where it's due to people I don't like. He has made some really, really good moves, and he's got a survivors' instinct, but he doesn't have half the strategic brains of Brian Heidek* or Rob C, nor the social skills of Tina, Earl or JT (to name a few). Russell wouldn't even break the top ten for me.

*(who is a sleezy piece of work that I don't like either)

Russell's current strategy is a one shot deal. It's predicated on the fact that none of the others know what a schemer he is in the confessional cameras. Now that he's a known entity, he'd have to find a very different strategy in an All-Star scenario.

He's very entertaining. And he understands it's a game. Lying, cheating, messing with people. That has always been part of Survivor. Anyone fully trusting anyone out there is just chum.

No, I can give credit where it's due to people I don't like. He has made some really, really good moves, and he's got a survivors' instinct, but he doesn't have half the strategic brains of Brian Heidek* or Rob C, nor the social skills of Tina, Earl or JT (to name a few). Russell wouldn't even break the top ten for me.

*(who is a sleezy piece of work that I don't like either)

Well no I'd agree he certainly isn't on Brian's level but that guy was probably the best ever. Rob C I'd just have to disagree but I don't really remember that season specifically except that for the horrible, horrible, play by the deaf girl that I think Rob manipulated. To me Russell is pretty much like Richard Hatch. He's just on a different level then the rest of the people out there. Whether or not he is the greatest or not is something, but he is definitely much better than anybody who is out there on this season. I won't rule out though that he very well be making out this good because everyone else out there is a complete moron.

Like The Wedge I'd be very curious to see how he would do on an all-stars type season where people may know his schtick. I'd want to see if he could adapt and survive or even if he could adapt and still dominate the game. But then again I'd ask that of Brian too as his strategy was pretty much a one shot deal as well.

I think he'd be eaten alive by some of the social schemers this show has had, such as (recently) Todd and Parvati and that one guy who WJ really likes from that season I didn't see. (Help me out here. :P)

he doesn't have half the strategic brains of Brian Heidek

Well no I'd agree he certainly isn't on Brian's level but that guy was probably the best ever.

Kat, are you talking about Brian? Because I agree with Slurk - he's the best I've seen at the strategy part of the game. Definitely better than Russell.

I do think Russell is a pretty good player, but I also think that he lucked into the right situation. If he had been placed in a tribe with somebody who 1) had any semblance of strategic ability, and 2) wasn't dumb enough to confront him directly, he would have been in trouble. For example, I think the game might have played out differently if he and John had started in the same tribe.

Now, Russell does have plenty of strengths - he makes good use of the pawns (sheep-like players), he doesn't give up when the odds are against him, he's smart enough to actually look for the hidden immunity idol, and he doesn't get stuck on one plan (if things aren't working out, he'll come up with something new). He also apparently has fairly good intuition - wasn't fooled at all by that Galu plan to save Laura and get rid of Natalie. But its like Kat and Gert are saying....he plays a loose game. Other players have done a better job with regard to their long-term strategies in past seasons.

So yeah, he's good, but he's not the best ever, in my opinion.

Yeah, in one of his interviews he said he was going to get people to feel sorry for him by saying he was in New Orleans during Katrina. Then it went to a bit showing one of the random blondes going on at how horrible that must have been forhim.

Sorry but that's not the same thing as completely faking an accent. It's still sleazy, though.

Sorry but that's not the same thing as completely faking an accent. It's still sleazy, though.

No, he is faking the accent so he can get sympathy.

No, he is faking the accent so he can get sympathy.

He is faking the accent so he can get sympathy because he is playing Survivor.

And because he seems to know that his kind of game equals face time and confessional time. Self promotion and all that reality TV stuff.

I hope no one is tuned into this show for an ethics lesson.

As far as I know, he is lying about being in New Orleans during Katrina to garner sympathy, not faking an accent to get sympathy. I still don't know what evidence you are referring to that conclusively proves that Russel is faking an accent, as opposed to you know, just speaking the way he normally speaks. I suppose we will find out at the reunion show, won't we?

Maybe I'm misremembering, but that is my understanding.

Russell is small change in the sleaze department compared to MAJOR ass-wipes like that Brian Heidik a/k/a puppy shooter. If I had been on the jury that voted him the million, I would have to commit hara kiri - right after dragging him behind a Formula One for a few laps.

I don't like him. :angry:

The accent is definitely natural. And while I don't think Russell is the greatest, he certain has been one of the most entertaining. His antics have almost singlehandedly saved this season from terrible boredom.

In any event, if they ever do another All-Star Survivor, they'll probably include Russel (if he agrees), so there is a good chance we may one day be able to know for certain.

SPOILER: Survivor Season 20

Next season is rumored to be another All-Star with the gimmick being two tribes: Heroes vs. Villains and people from all throughout the 19 seasons will be part of it. Here's the rumored cast list: Sugar, Stephenie, Randy, Cirie, Tom, Boston Rob, Courtney, James, Coach, Tyson, JT, Colby, Candice, Amanda, Rupert, Danielle, Jerri, Parvati, Sandra, Russell

Kat, are you talking about Brian? Because I agree with Slurk - he's the best I've seen at the strategy part of the game. Definitely better than Russell.

Probably so. I almost want to watch that season, but not if he's sleazy on top of everything, because I like it when the good people win (as is probably quite obvious by now. Ethan is still my favorite winner.)

I didn't think the accent was fake, either. Why would someone fake an accent in confessionals, when they're already telling all about every other aspect of the game?

Archived