NFL Thread IV: The Hype Machine Continues

BLU-RAY

About Tony's point on the percentages being wrong, I think it is much better to go with the Pat's success on 4th down versus the Colts and the Colts success in general in stopping 4th down plays. Neither are very good for the Colts. Lumping the Pats who are one of the best ball moving teams in the NFL in with the dregs such as Cleveland and Tampa more than makes up for any garbage time numbers inflating those stats. I'm pretty sure the numbers are on Bill's side here Rock.

As for Cutler, I watched most of that game last night. Other than a couple overthrows (that one by Olson at the fingertips should have been caught) I thought he played a pretty good game, since on average a Philly guy was on him in under 2 seconds because they blitzed nearly every down. That TD pass he threw was particularly nice, as a Philly guy was in his face and he lobbed a perfect spiral into his guy for the score. Maybe if he had a receiver with any size that he could actually throw to under pressure instead of having all his guys be either weak TEs or fast burners with no size/jumping ability.

There is no question that Cutler's problems are not entirely his own. His O-line is bad and his receivers do nothing to help make plays. In other words, Cutler has nobody on the team that can improve his own game nor make up for his own deficiencies.

The thing is, he was rushed. We got our expectations too high. I think the Jets have to find a veteran QB with decent talent who can come in and show Sanchez the ropes. Get him to appreciate some of the nuances of the game. The problem with this theory is that every veteran QB out there wants to start and leave the young guy in the dust a' la Kurt Warner in Arizona. So there is no feasible way New York can turn to a vet and say, "Will you come here as a transitional starter, move your family to New York, expose yourself to this media just to make somebody else better? Oh, and we'll pay you crap!" Nobody will do that. So, unless you get somebody who is just BRED to be a starter (Peyton Manning, Drew Breese) or hit the lottery (Tom Brady), its REALLY HARD to develop a young QB from nothing.

I totally agree with what you say here. I was all for Clemens to start the year and give Sanchez a year (or at least 8 games) holding a clip board. Then the first 2 games of the season he makes some pretty good throws, seems to know what he is doing, and the Jets have some pretty big wins and my hopes went up. I think he will be OK, but he is making rookie mistakes now.

There is no question that Cutler's problems are not entirely his own. His O-line is bad and his receivers do nothing to help make plays. In other words, Cutler has nobody on the team that can improve his own game nor make up for his own deficiencies.

Cutler obviously feels like he has to get it done by himself. If he just had an offensive line that didn't collapse under the weakest of rushes, the Bears would at least be 5-5 if not 6-4 or 7-3 right now. It doesn't matter who you are, if you can't even complete a three-step drop before you're being swarmed by blitzing defenders, you don't have a chance.

No he doesn't really have a chance, but I was surprised last night with some of those throws he made. He made some very on target throws with people all over him in no time. They need to fix that offensive line first. Getting better receiving options would be nice, but a better o-line and then some work spent on defense would probably improve that team more than anything.

-I am stunned the Chiefs took down the Steelers. Stunned. Not saddened; just stunned.

You're not the only one, believe me.

The Steelers are really missing Troy Polamalu. We need him, badly.

The only good thing is that the Bengals lost, too. But if we lose to the Ravens on Sunday it's pretty much all over.

You're not the only one, believe me.

The Steelers are really missing Troy Polamalu. We need him, badly.

The only good thing is that the Bengals lost, too. But if we lose to the Ravens on Sunday it's pretty much all over.

and things no looky good right now for the Steelers. Big Ben has a concussion and Charlie Batch broke his wrist and has to have surgery. So they have to paly their 3rd stringer and sign a street free agent to back him up. Unless Ben plays with his 4th concussion. Given the current climate regarding concussions I doubt he will play.

and things no looky good right now for the Steelers. Big Ben has a concussion and Charlie Batch broke his wrist and has to have surgery. So they have to paly their 3rd stringer and sign a street free agent to back him up. Unless Ben plays with his 4th concussion. Given the current climate regarding concussions I doubt he will play.

When did that happen with Batch?!? On the news this morning it said that Batch would probably start on Sunday.

-The Steelers are still a top football team in this league. they will coast into the playoffs and finish decently with or without Ben.

-The Bengals were never for real.

-Sanchez is already ruined. He was put in too fast, but there's no going back. He's done, put a fork in him.

-Speaking of ruined, how about that Jay Cutler? All of the apologists are neglecting the fact that the guy makes bad decisions because he is mentally weak. There's no fix for that.

-The Pats offensive coordinator is going to cost them at least another game due to play calling.

-Good for the lions.

-Matt Cassell is a solid QB in a league with less than ten of them.

When did that happen with Batch?!? On the news this morning it said that Batch would probably start on Sunday.

According to the Sporting News, Batch is out 6 weeks with a broken wrist. Big Ben may or may not play depending on test results. Announcement is expected on Tuesday. At the moment it looks like Dixon will start if Ben can't go. A free agent signing is likely in that scenario. This appears to be semi-informed speculation, so it's hard to say what will happen. I think it is unlikely that Batch or any other available QB could sustain Steeler hopes for the remainder of the season, so they best hope that BR can return in the near future.

link

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch(notes) will undergo surgery on his wrist and will be sidelined up to six weeks, ESPN.com’s Adam Schefter reports.

Schefter also posted a tweet, stating that coach Mike Tomlin will not comment on his team’s quarterback situation until Tuesday’s press conference.

Steelers starter Ben Roethlisberger(notes) suffered an injury to the head that knocked him out of the Chiefs game Sunday. His status for the Week 12 game at Baltimore is up in the air, and if he can’t play, then Dennis Dixon(notes) will get the call. Dixon is in his second pro season and he’s only thrown one pass in the one game he’s played in.

When scrambling with 12:21 left in overtime, Roethlisberger dove head-first only to be inadvertently hit in the head by Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson’s knee. Batch finished the game, which was won 27-24 by the Chiefs.

Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in the postgame locker room that he felt fine and that he isn’t sure he sustained a concussion.

In completely unrelated Bengal's news, 2010 is the year of the Tiger on the Chinese calendar. Unfortunately, Chinese New Year does not fall until a week after the Super Bowl.

So, unless you get somebody who is just BRED to be a starter (Peyton Manning, Drew Breese) or hit the lottery (Tom Brady), its REALLY HARD to develop a young QB from nothing.

And of those, Brady had a year to learn from watching Drew Bledsoe, and Drew Brees had Doug Flutie in San Diego to fight for the job with/learn from. Many of the other young guns in the league now sat and learned for a time, Aaron Rodgers in watching Favre and Carson Palmer with Kitna come to mind. Even if they aren't learning anything from those veteran QBs, they're still learning about how an NFL offense functions.

There are exceptions, of course. Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger come to mind. But they're rare, and it helps when you have other pieces around you (like Marshall Faulk or a great defense).

And in some absolutely insane way, I actually LIKE Sanchez

I feel similarly. He seemed like he had some real potential in the NFL (don't all those USC quarterbacks?), and frankly, I'm not sure he won't, in a few years, with a better supporting cast, and maybe for a different team.

I feel like Sanchez will be fine in a year or two. The Jets came out the gate playing at top form, but you cannot sustain that kind of adrenaline and emotion over the course of the season; and without it, the Jets aren't that good. They'll be fine down the road. I'm considering sigging Rock's "I hate the 2012 Jets."

Be interesting to see Dixon play some for the Stillers.

And is anybody watching this game? It's a lot of fun; I'm especially enjoying the Vince Young vs. Bernard Pollard interplay.

Even if they aren't learning anything from those veteran QBs, they're still learning about how an NFL offense functions.

There are exceptions, of course. Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger come to mind.

Roethlisberger learned from watching Tommy Maddox. He'd sit down on Tommy's knee and listen to stories of the XFL.

That was an entertaining game.

Moving Vince Young to the starting QB was the best move Tennessee could have made. I just can't get over how ugly his throws are. I think I can throw a tighter spiral than him. But man, he can run.

Texans just can't get over the hump. Fucking Vince Young breaking hearts like when he was playing USC. Every time a play looked broken he scrambled for a 1st down.

You're a Texas boy, huh Commodore? Shocking.

Archived