if we were all that remained of society, could we survive.

BigFatCoward

Done and Done. We might need to hijack both your physics and your organizational skills occasionally, though.

Sweet. Happy to help. I can also bitch up a storm and eat all available chocolate to help out with something or other...

I'd think you'd want more of an Alpha male in that role.

Nah that way lies despots/dictators and general all round unhappiness.

N

I think we already have a chief of secret police. I've forgotten who it was, which is probably the way it should be.

In addition to the teaching, can I sign up for breeding as well? I'm tall and a born runner, I am moderately intelligent and not frackin hideous. I know, I know, but ladies, please, some order. Please queue politely.

There's a difference between a cop settling disputes over chickens and double parked horses and someone to weed out people with subversive idea's of the "old order".

If that fails I can be head of human resources.

Exa,

There's a difference between a cop settling disputes over chickens and double parked horses and someone to weed out people with subversive idea's of the "old order".

If that fails I can be head of human resources.

If we're the last 16,000 people on the planet we're going to be hiring people from...?

:P

Fortunately I am not gonna be good for the breeding program. Due to my pelvic bones being tilted which causes a narrowing of the passage I am unable to give birth the natural way. Although on the plus side I am more likely to carry multiple babies than most other people.

So until we are able to provide C sections I suppose I could donate my eggs for use in another incubator.

I am also trained as mechanical and electrical maintenance. . I used to help my grandfather make his own whiskey. I can make alterations on clothes (this is a necessary survival skill in the modern world when you are several inches shorter than the petite clothes range) I've helped Mr Benson on his traditional farm. He uses shire horses to pull plows and not anything that used a motor. I have fixed and converted a family friends water mill which was once used to grind flour and now generates electricity.

I also one went on a school trip to a local reservoir and was shown how they make the water all nice and clean and pump it out for distribution. (although I doubt I would remember that much useful info in this case)

I would recommend that we search out for a mythical land called Wales for a mythical place called the Center of Alternate Technology. the mythical people living there have been fully self sufficient for many years and even produce a surplus and exported to the real world. If we could find this place then we would already have much of the infrastructure we need to survive. Including Water, Farming, Sewage treatment and electricity generation/distribution. + lots of helpful books to help us expand our works.

Ser Scot,

in this particular Brave New World the primary concern of the Human Resources department is anthropophagy, as with other HR departments the interviews are fairly invasive and somewhat humiliating but at least no one will ever ask about your greatest weakness. ;)

Usotsuki,

Ser Scot,

in this particular Brave New World the primary concern of the Human Resources department is anthropophagy, as with other HR departments the interviews are fairly invasive and somewhat humiliating but at least no one will ever ask about your greatest weakness. ;)

I suppose this would make Peadar O'Guilin our resident board expert?

That even in the board's testier phases we can call upon the hard won expertise of an accomplished cannibal and learn the secrets of barbecuing long pig warms the cockles of my heart*.

*Please note these particular cockles are not suitable for snacking

I would be Mother Hubbard.

As well as my general military knowledge, I have field medic training, Red Cross CPR and First Aid Certified, am an expert shot with both rifle and hand guns and all that comes with Counterintellegence training (investigative and security topping the list).

I have worked as a teacher (middle-school); hunt (to include knowing how to field dress and skin animals), sew, cook and garden.

The only thing I can't do is help repopulate the world. While I might technically be able to reproduce, I have taken surgical precautions against such things.

I am a multitalented, organized caregiver. Obviously I would help train people and take care of them and make sure the place runs smoothly.

I think I'm screwed... I doubt any of the Norwegians on this board need any Eng-No translation done, so professionally speaking, I'm useless. No electrical/engine skills at all, no Science!, and my maximum capacity for babysitting or entertaining a (one!) child is 4 hours. After that I need 20 hours of downtime and several stiff drinks.

I did learn very basic survival training in the military, but it mainly consisted of "If the elements are too harsh, turn blue and stop breathing. The appropriate agents will recover your body so it won't be in the way later". I also learned to shoot, but I've never been hunting. My dad's a veterinarian, though, and I had a summer job at a slaughterhouse where he worked before. So I know I can handle the sights and smells of a hunt, and once someone has shown me how to field dress an animal, I'm good.

I take it I'll have to make my own way to wherever this settlement is going to be situated. That constitutes a problem. I know my way around small boats, but I've never been out on the open ocean. Guess I'll have to forage for a Flight Simulator-game or something, and learn to fly by small increments.

If not for the long winters, Norway would be a good location, as there is a constant supply of fresh rainwater, and hydroelectric power plants are all over the place. If one goes FUBAR, we could relocate to the next one down.

1) Is GRRM with us or do we have to figure out who gets to complete the series? Because I could see that getting messy; wars have been fought over less.

2) I have a degree in electrical engineering gathering dust at the moment, so I would probably be of some use in the area of power generation/distribution, though that's not really my cup of tea (more of an automatic controls person myself).

3) If it's the whole ~16k board members, we're fine; if it's limited to active posters, that's an interesting question.

1) Is GRRM with us or do we have to figure out who gets to complete the series? Because I could see that getting messy; wars have been fought over less.

1. bad news, hadnt thought of that. someone could go to his house and root through his stuff and see what he has so far.

or hopefully, if some deity sees fit to save all of the posters, surely he would save george as well.

that would be his worst nightmare, stuck with 16,000 people acting like 4 year olds on a road trip. is it done yet? is it done yet? it is done yet? he'd get a lot grayer very quickly.

All current mods should be in law enforcement. If only to make sure I don't call random people "hoors" and hurt their feelings.

In addition to the teaching, can I sign up for breeding as well? I'm tall and a born runner, I am moderately intelligent and not frackin hideous. I know, I know, but ladies, please, some order. Please queue politely.

Pixpls.

I've never sheared a sheep but It would be an interesting skill to pick up.

Has to be easier than clipping a horse. I'll teach you. Now, we actually need someone to make/sharpen clippers.

Which brings me to a new "oh shite" moment. Have we any blacksmith, farrier, metalworker in the place?

We're 6ft down shit creek, never mind up it if we don't

My nomination for a settling place would be Genoa or the Gulf of Lions. Or Croatia! The area around Split is fantastic for fishing, wine, & transport; nearby Slavonia is AAA farming country. Sheltered from the worst weather; moderate climate excellent for growing almost anything. Mountains nearby for varied diet and defense. Built on hills, like Rome, which helps w/ water delivery and waste disposal (gotta keep malaria and water-borne diseases in check.) Oh -- and Split is really amazingly beautiful.

Ooh, I LIKE this suggestion! Especially as it would make me useful. I could act as a guide! And I could help with the animals, if we find some goats/sheep/cows etc. I've some experience with shepherding..

Otherwise I'm pretty much useless. Unless we would need a mediator?

Niamh,

All current mods should be in law enforcement. If only to make sure I don't call random people "hoors" and hurt their feelings. Pixpls. Has to be easier than clipping a horse. I'll teach you. Now, we actually need someone to make/sharpen clippers. Which brings me to a new "oh shite" moment. Have we any blacksmith, farrier, metalworker in the place? We're 6ft down shit creek, never mind up it if we don't

Greywolf's wife is, or was, a professional farrier. That's why family should be included. Laura has all sorts of fiber skills.

Away from the board for a few days and I missed a fun thread like this one.

I have no usable hands on skills to speak of, so I'd make good middle management material. Or maybe I'd learn paper making, for the large amount of citizen-on-citizen slash our community would be likely to produce.

I could easily survive without you guys, I possess skills you guys would need, but the only thing I can think of I could get from you guys is someone to put out. I have a farm already, with the knowledge and equipment to work it alone. I can shoot very well with a rifle or a bow, I can start a fire with flint and steel, I have helped build both modern houses and log cabins (for which I cut and peeled logs), I can break a horse. I have a chainsaw, a tractor, a bobcat, vice grips, duct tape, wd-40, and guns- I don't need anything else.

Archived