if we were all that remained of society, could we survive.

BigFatCoward

With my science degree and several nuclear physics subjects under my belt (not to mention living in uranium-rich Australia) I'll reluctantly accept the heavy burden of being sole custodian and director of the giant tactical nuclear warhead inventory. I assure I am absolutely trustworthy (unless England win the post-apocalyptic Ashes cricket series, in which case I'd rather see the whole world burn).

Another fat, NO. You're just trying to get out of work I want to avoid. You work on the nuclear power plant and do all the heavy lifting and machine operating that requires. I'll drive the Sub into whatever coastal town in which you guys want to settle. The nukes do not need your supervision. In fact, here's a deal, after I drop off the Sub, I'll grab a Coast Guard cutter, and spend the next few years ensuring that the entire nuclear warhead is not, and will not be useable by anyone within our generation.... problem solved, 'work' averted.

Cause that's how the Haida did it. I'm sure ther's a reason for it, I'll do some research.

ETA Can't find a reason for it, so anyhelp would be appreciated.

People from around the world have all sorts of different kinship and locality systems. The Haida are matrilocal, which means that families move in and stay with the mothers kin group. There is no real hard and fast practical explanation for why any given group practices one system over another; generally you would have to look at these things on a situational basis. I could guess that among the Haida it makes sense to live in a corporate group consisting of female relatives since males are often gone for raiding and trading. Frankly, there is no good reason (aside from coolness) for our commune adopt the Haida kinship system. I suggest that people screw and live who/what/wherever they like. 16000 people is way above minimum levels needed for maintaining genetic diversity (usually people cite numbers in the 100s for that).

is this thread kind of a variant of the old thread about which boarders are on the desert island together, then?

I get the sense that it is... only with a few improvements! In this thread, we get to set about determining who will get laid, and who will get eaten!

Oh... wait. I forgot. The other thread was pretty much about that too...

So you're OK with the breeding aspect as long as your work is done after birth? Maybe this is how Tenalpia can make herself useful.

Sure - if you're happy with your children growing up to be highly independent killing machines :P

Tenalpia will be chief strategist.

Excellent! I already have plans drawn up for this precise eventuality, I particularly enjoyed drawing all the pretty pictures that show who will be sent out to scavenge in the radioactive wastelands and who will be with me in X-Ray's whisky shop :D

I almost hate to bring this up, but there will eventually come a day when we will need law enforcement. Unless we want to banish people and just hope that they don't return in force, then we will either need a prison, or an executioner. I'd volunteer, but I am afraid that this particular group might want to cut their executioner's tongue out for the sake of nostalgia. Besides, I think I'd be better suited to reign as chief justice or Sheriff (or both). So, um... Whose going to be the head chopper-offer?

I almost hate to bring this up, but there will eventually come a day when we will need law enforcement. Unless we want to banish people and just hope that they don't return in force, then we will either need a prison, or an executioner. I'd volunteer, but I am afraid that this particular group might want to cut their executioner's tongue out for the sake of nostalgia. Besides, I think I'd be better suited to reign as chief justice or Sheriff (or both). So, um... Whose going to be the head chopper-offer?

Who's says it has to be beheading? As much as we would like it to be this isn't the world of ASOFAI, let's go with firing squads then we can just pick the people at random and it's good for group cohesiveness.

Who's says it has to be beheading? As much as we would like it to be this isn't the world of ASOFAI, let's go with firing squads then we can just pick the people at random and it's good for group cohesiveness.

Surely, in this specific Stand-like scenario, it must be "Death by Dismemberment".

Hmmm...might as well check in...

grew up on an genuine Alaskan Homestead...

screwed around alot with small boats...

dabbled in gardening (though the moose got most of this years crop)...

built a couple houses from the foundation up (and rebuilt a few mobile homes)...

basic knowledge of automotive mechanics (though far from expert)...

and a few other things...

As to the nuts and bolts of it all...

electricity would be nice. Real, real nice. Given 16,000 people, my first choice here would be to set up shop near some hydro electric plant, maybe backed up by solar cells or solar thermal powering stirling engines.

A dependable source of fuel to keep at least some vehicles and equipment (like farm equipment) up and running would also be nice. Even a couple hundred vehicles would burn through a few thousand gallons of gasoline in a hurry, though, and a few thousand gallons is about all you'd find at most gas stations. We'd want a nice big tank farm or some such.

At the homestead, the well tended tenth of an acre garden put out enough veggies we rarely bought any. Also turned out enough potatoes to feed a about three families through the year. But we'd need grains...that would mean milling...

Blauer is right. Not only do we need enforcement, we need intelligence also. So I will head the secret police to sniff out those unwanted elements who will undermine and disrupt our new utopia. I will make sure you all can go to sleep peacefully at night.

I think I'm just going to go around eating people anyway.

No need for executioners - there will be plenty of jobs that promise certain death, just pass them over to me and I'll get it sorted

So I will head the secret police to sniff out those unwanted elements who will undermine and disrupt our new utopia. I will make sure you all can go to sleep peacefully at night.

Perhaps we should consider amalgamating the secret police and the catering department?

From what I understand, every civilised society needs a "PC Brigade" to keep the right-wingers in line and give them something to complain about. While not being entirely sure what this involves, I'll be glad to take on that role, and make sure the regularly scheduled cannibalism proceeds in an equitable manner without undue discrimination by race, gender or orientation.

I've got a fairly good grounding in feminist theory so when building this post-apocalyptic society I can make sure that it's as equal as possible.

bfc: I didn't call anyone else out on what they said cause I didn't read past your post. Also, based on the threads you've started so far I don't like your style :D

N

I doubt my archive skills will become necessary for quite a while. I'm a pretty good mediator and diplomat.

If none of that is useful, sign me up for breeding purposes. I have the immune system of a rhino, so that's all good.

Blauer is right. Not only do we need enforcement, we need intelligence also. So I will head the secret police to sniff out those unwanted elements who will undermine and disrupt our new utopia. I will make sure you all can go to sleep peacefully at night.

Get in the back of the line, man. Better yet, to the Thunderdome with you.

I've got a fairly good grounding in feminist theory so when building this post-apocalyptic society I can make sure that it's as equal as possible.

Done and Done. We might need to hijack both your physics and your organizational skills occasionally, though.

I was hoping Hereward would nominate himself as Local Curmudgeon, but if he's too busy with tractor polishing frottage driving, maybe we can get Stego or Yagathai to fill in.

Done and Done. We might need to hijack both your physics and your organizational skills occasionally, though.

I was hoping Hereward would nominate himself as Local Curmudgeon, but if he's too busy with tractor polishing frottage driving, maybe we can get Stego or Yagathai to fill in.

I see that more as a hobby than an occupation, but rest assured, I've got the commune's curmudgeon needs well and truly sorted.

I think we already have a chief of secret police. I've forgotten who it was, which is probably the way it should be.

In addition to the teaching, can I sign up for breeding as well? I'm tall and a born runner, I am moderately intelligent and not frackin hideous. I know, I know, but ladies, please, some order. Please queue politely.

bfc: I didn't call anyone else out on what they said cause I didn't read past your post. Also, based on the threads you've started so far I don't like your style :D

N

i think you probably dont like the police in general being a feminist, you assume i will be a mysoginist like most of my bretheren. that is a very understandable jump, but not necessarily fair or accurate in my case. though much easier to disprove via the medium of an internet chat board.

With regard to TP's comment. I do know a little bit about card weaving. I'm also interested in learning how to spin thread (we have two spinning wheels (with another on the way) and a number of spindles in my home). I've never sheared a sheep but It would be an interesting skill to pick up.

I am curious to see why people would want Mr. "Non-confrontational" as police chief. I'd think you'd want more of an Alpha male in that role.

Archived