How I Met Your Mother 2

Jaxom 1974

Yeah, I cried. It was good (I lost my dad a couple of years back and found out in a similar fashion. odd phone call from Mom after my wife and I got back from a movie that we were still laughing at. It is still surreal to think about it.)

Really liked that episode, and didn't end at all like I thought (also I was sure the doctor was a Barney trick right up to the end). Only noticed the 2 and 1 on the countdown as well, and almost by accident.

An amazing episode. It was just perfect front to back. It makes me want to call my father. I did not see it coming. Even when Lily said he had a heart attack I thought "maybe he's just in the hospital! NO GOD NO". Everyone hit it out of the park. :crying:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm blaming pregnancy hormones on the fact that this episode made me cry. Sure, I knew that the "pocket dial" would end with his dad saying something meaningful, but I'll be damned if Segal didn't act the crap out of that part. His reactions were just perfect. By the same token, knew that this would be the catalyst for Barney wanting to find his dad, but like and appreciate that it would always have to be Barney's next step in growing as a character (maybe enough to be marrying Robin at the end of this season?)

Loved the different roles the group played. Robin's vice girl was by far my favorite, although Lily as Judy's bitch was up there for me as well. I think it's fitting that both Ted and Barney tried to make Marshall laugh, as most early 30 something guys I know still turn into 10 year olds when faced with heavily emotional situations. (Btw, Robin was super hot this episode. Like, really.)

Finally, loved Jonathan's role as the bully. This last week has been a Buffy cameo week for me. Warren was on Greys, and Jonathan on HIMYM. All I need is Andrew and the geek triumvirate will be complete.

Haha. The acting from Segal dropped in this episode, I felt. I wish they'd done a couple cuts and got him to re-do the phone bits. Not enough true-felt emotion on display. He can do better.

Strong episode all-round, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing which direction they go with Barney's dad, now. It's a sad thing that we'll meet his dad before we ever meet the mother. Oh well.

I'm blaming pregnancy hormones on the fact that this episode made me cry. Sure, I knew that the "pocket dial" would end with his dad saying something meaningful, but I'll be damned if Segal didn't act the crap out of that part. His reactions were just perfect. By the same token, knew that this would be the catalyst for Barney wanting to find his dad, but like and appreciate that it would always have to be Barney's next step in growing as a character (maybe enough to be marrying Robin at the end of this season?)

Loved the different roles the group played. Robin's vice girl was by far my favorite, although Lily as Judy's bitch was up there for me as well. I think it's fitting that both Ted and Barney tried to make Marshall laugh, as most early 30 something guys I know still turn into 10 year olds when faced with heavily emotional situations. (Btw, Robin was super hot this episode. Like, really.)

Two episodes in a row. Two winners. I'd have to say they're 1 and 1A for me in terms of this season.

• 3 weeks later...

*sigh*

Heh. My first thought after the episode ended was, "Jaxom's gonna be pissed." :)

Does kinda explain why Zoey wasn't around for the past few episodes.

Still doesn't necessarily make her the "Mother" though...

I thought the episode overall was solid. Fairly funny moments, and Marshall's family was awesome.

Heh. My first thought after the episode ended was, "Jaxom's gonna be pissed." :)

:rofl:

Mine as well.

The explanation for the burned dinner ("I thought it was Celsius!") didn't make sense. Or was that the joke?

Other than that the framing device was what made this episode, and I laughed more at "Good manners are what seperates Minnesotans from elbows-on-the-table-Wisconsinites!" than is probably appropriate for someone who has never been to either state.

There's zero chance of her being the 'mother'.

I don't think there's zero chance, but I agree its unlikely. We'd have to find out how long she'd been married to the Captain, but they could make it work. It'd be a stretch though.

I thought the episode overall was solid. Fairly funny moments, and Marshall's family was awesome.

My reputation preceeds me. :P

And it was a truly wonderful epsiode bodering on great up until the end...

There's zero chance of her being the 'mother'.

I don't think there's zero chance, but I agree its unlikely. We'd have to find out how long she'd been married to the Captain, but they could make it work. It'd be a stretch though.

It wouldn't work at all. No. Seriously. The timeline would just not fit. It would also be an epic fail for this show if they shoehorned it in at this point. So much of this show's writing has hinged on the strength of internal consistency. To have Zoe hang about this long (part of me wants to be annoyed at the seeming ease that she's become part of the group, but then I think back about how easily Robin came to them all in the first episodes of the show) and not have mentioned her former roommate whom Ted dated briefly only to see her in the bar months later and have her finding herself would be very poor.

That and the fact that I don't think Zoe, who is at least of an age of the others (early 30s), would have been in that econ class Ted attempted to teach to. That's absoultely information Zoe would have divulged upon their meeting outside of the Arcadian.

I don't mind another diversion of Ted's on the way to the mother, it's what makes the show. I'm just not a fan of the character of Zoe (or the actress who portrays her. QED). :P

The explanation for the burned dinner ("I thought it was Celsius!") didn't make sense. Or was that the joke?

Don't Canadians use Celsius? That's what I took away from the joke...

Don't Canadians use Celsius? That's what I took away from the joke...

They do, the problem is that any reasonable Celsius temperature to cook at is going to be colder than Fahrenheit. For example, 350F, a common baking temp. is only about 177 Celsius. So Robin would set the oven at 177, which would be cold for Fahrenheit. Basically, dinner would be undercooked, not burned. Still funny though.

They do, the problem is that any reasonable Celsius temperature to cook at is going to be colder than Fahrenheit. For example, 350F, a common baking temp. is only about 177 Celsius. So Robin would set the oven at 177, which would be cold for Fahrenheit. Basically, dinner would be undercooked, not burned. Still funny though.

Ah. Well. I'm merely an American and we use Celsius so I have zero idea how Fahrenheit actually works... :P

Archived