How I Met Your Mother 2

Jaxom 1974

"YOU'RE getting a lapdance! And YOU'RE getting a lapdance! And YOU are going to give ME a lapdance! Everyone here is getting a laaaapdaaaance!"

Definitely a great, classic episode. And I think people everywhere should really take Barney's special holiday message to heart.

ETA: Also, Barney giving away his old suits was actually really touching, IMO.

I almost forgot to comment on what was one of the best episodes of the season and one that I think has jumped into my Top 10 HIMYM Episodes all time (something I need to work on during my break next week...)

Also, I love how they just set up the possibility of the wedding shown at the beginning of the season as Robin's. But now the question is, "Robin and who?"

Gotta admit I need to go back and re-watch the episode. I missed this. Remind me? I was to busy laughing at Barney's Oprah bit...

"YOU'RE getting a lapdance! And YOU'RE getting a lapdance! And YOU are going to give ME a lapdance! Everyone here is getting a laaaapdaaaance!"

This is possibly one of the greatest lines in any comedy ever written... :P

This thread's rave reviews for this episode are coming very close to getting me to watch the show again. At least for this one episode. Does it deal at all with this love-interest-that-won't-be-the-mother?

No, Zoe is happily absent in this episode. It's just a solid, old school episode of HIMYM, focusing on every member of the gang. You should watch it, LL.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit. Wow. As soon as he called his dad and we saw the unfinished clock, I knew. Damn. I actually got a little choked. I mean, out of all the characters, Marshall probably was closest with his family.

Great episode. Nice solid laughs the whole way through (the owl thing was great) and a solid dramatic turn at the end. Turns out this ol' shows still got a few surprises left in 'er.

Holy shit. Wow. As soon as he called his dad and we saw the unfinished clock, I knew. Damn. I actually got a little choked. I mean, out of all the characters, Marshall probably was closest with his family.

Great episode. Nice solid laughs the whole way through (the owl thing was great) and a solid dramatic turn at the end. Turns out this ol' shows still got a few surprises left in 'er.

Some of the hectic, manic baby stuff scattered throughout the season comes into perspective a little more tightly as well. Frankly, it never entered my mind that this was what was going to come, even as we saw as much of Marshall's dad this season as we have.

And the countdown interspersed within the episode...

That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you do it. One of the best episodes of the series.

Word. Best sitcom episode I've seen in awhile. Props to Segel and Hannigan. They really knocked that one out of the park, which is hard to pull off on a show this goofy (read: dopplegangers).

Okay, glad to see others hit as emotionally hard as I was. I adore Jason Segal (as I have said many many times in the past), and to see him hit this episode out of the park made me both thrilled and very, very sad.

As I was watching the episode, I was more than annoyed with the number countdown; I thought it was a gag. And then, when I realized at 2 what 1 was going to bring, I got all teary, and I was mad at myself for not seeing the big picture sooner.

Powerful episode, and amazing acting at the ending. And as anyone who was a fan of Buffy knows, when Allyson Hannigan cries, we all cry.

As I was watching the episode, I was more than annoyed with the number countdown; I thought it was a gag. And then, when I realized at 2 what 1 was going to bring, I got all teary, and I was mad at myself for not seeing the big picture sooner.

I honestly thought the countdown was rather subtle...I didn't catch on during my first viewing of the episode until they got to 10. When I watched the second time, I was looking for it to start then, but caught on very quick the numbers started much higher...

I didn't notice any countdown thingy at all, I guess I just missed.

I gotta say though that this episode was outstanding. I laughed many times throughout, the scene with Marshall in the the bathroom and his mom describing her bikini and his dad chanting cox cox cox had me laughing so hard, then the ending came and ripped my heart out. I'm very close with my dad and Marshall's reaction when he found out had me crying like a little baby.

Great episode.

Some of the hectic, manic baby stuff scattered throughout the season comes into perspective a little more tightly as well. Frankly, it never entered my mind that this was what was going to come, even as we saw as much of Marshall's dad this season as we have.

And the countdown interspersed within the episode...

I think what I admired most about it was that its really how tragedy happens in real life. I mean, aside from the clock thing (and to clarify, I didn't get that until the last image of the clock where Marshall's dad didn't answer the phone), there was no hint this season.

And that's how life can be. Everything is going along happily then WHAM! Terrible tragedy. I think both Hannigan and Segel did an excellent job in that scene.

I honestly thought the countdown was a countdown until Lily finds out she is pregnant...and quite honestly, it could still be the case.

It's very much like real life to have something so joyful be overshadowed by something so tragic. I can recall more than one occasion in my own life where someones death is followed by news of a pregnancy. And wouldn't it be poignant to have Marshall actually have good news, but he won't feel like it's real because he can't share it with his father?

It's hardly fair to blame WHAM! for every tragedy. Just musical ones. Okay, and some fashion too.

I beg to differ. Wham was singlehandedly responsible for the greatest tragedy known to the fashion industry ever.

Even beautiful people can die in a freak gasoline fight accident, Blaine.

Archived