How I Met Your Mother 2

Jaxom 1974

Marshall and Lily have a problem with every single aspect of being married. Aside from the march through the office, which was ace - the rest of it was pretty dull. And it's distracting seeing just how orange Allyson Hannigan has become.

I don't know...pickles would have really helped that sandwich...

Watched through seasons 1-5 this summer for the first time and really enjoyed them, so I sat down to watch this one eagerly. In the end I was somewhat disappointed. There were a few good gags (particularly liked the pregnancy cheering section), but not enough to allow me to ignore the rather weak retcons. This is a show that has always been so good at continuity and fitting the all the pieces together, so when they drop the ball, I feel more disappointed than I normally would. And there were a few things in this episode that got to me in that vein. I mean, we're into Season 6 now, and this is the first time I can recall Marshall ever mentioning a close relationship with his dad. Don't tell me that this has always bugged Lily when she's never said a word for 5 years and we've barely even met Marshall's dad apart from that episode in Season 1. And when have we ever seen Ted sitting in the booth being too scared to make his move? He's been Barney's wingman! There's no way he could possibly have any fear of speaking to people left after doing something like that. Then there's the sudden change of heart Marshall had towards his dad. The phone call lacked the emotional impact to have truly changed Marshall's mind, and as a result it just seemed really abrupt and forced. I guess it was meant to be played for laughs, but in the end it just fell flat for me.

It might just have been that I'm used to watching this show in large chunks and thus have unrealistic length expectations, but the episode also felt a bit lightweight to me. There didn't seem to be enough plot action to justify an entire episode in there.

Anyway, there, I've had my moan. Hopefully there'll be an uptick from here!

ST

To be fair, they've been very up front about the relationshio Marshall has with his parents and family going back to the first Thanksgiving episode, but it's so rarely played for anything that it's easy to forget.

That being said, I can understand what you're saying. They did seem to wedge a few things in rather than working off of what's already been there. They've got more than enough credit with me though, as there are usually far more superior episodes than there are clunkers in a season.

I did love how Marshall's dad always announced his name to Lily when he was calling, though. That seems like such a Minnesota thing to do! Reminded me of Lake Wobegon a bit.

And that guy from Coach does seem like the perfect fit to be his dad. I remember him from Marshall's flashback when he said, "He gave no quarter, and I asked for none!" to explain Marshall's competitive attitude.

I'm not someone who thinks a sitcom needs to be plotted out like a serious drama, so as long as the show is funny I'm fine with it and this episode was a moderate success in this regard.

That said, anybody catch the sign at the church in the first wedding flashbackforward? "To everything there is a season." Hint at potential plot development? Or just the writers having fun with people who crave said development?

That said, anybody catch the sign at the church in the first wedding flashbackforward? "To everything there is a season." Hint at potential plot development? Or just the writers having fun with people who crave said development?

I did catch that. I didn't even think that it was meant to mean anything though...too much watching Lost and Lost-type shows has numbed me to looking for clues in anything and everything I see. That being said, you're probably right...

Don't let one bad apple get you down there. This thread is going along swimmingly. And if anyone disagrees the wrong way, I'm sure Mya will sweep in to teach them where they've gone wrong... :P

:lol: Thanks, Jax!

I liked the episode. Well, I liked Marshall a lot in this episode. You all know by now how I fangirl Segal, but he was truly hilarious in this episode. I'm glad they're giving him something more to do than last season's uhh...what did he do again?

I'm honestly torn between who's wedding I think it is. At first I thought it was obviously the lesbians, but then I thought about it some more, and saw that Ted and Marshall were rocking tuxes, and Lily was dressed up...but I think that Robin/Barney is too much too soon, if they ever rehash that again. Frankly, I can't see them not being together in the end, but I can't imagine it will happen now, so if I had to guess, if the wedding is someone who we've met before, I'd almost go with someone in Ted's family, like his sister maybe? I dunno. I think it will probably be a wedding of someone we haven't met yet, but who will be introduced as being friends with Marshall and Ted in college, maybe.

Anyway, I laughed - out loud - more than once, so I call it a success. Plus, the first episodes of the season aren't usually huge set up. I think it takes HIMYM a bit to really get their season-arc going.

I'm honestly torn between who's wedding I think it is. At first I thought it was obviously the lesbians, but then I thought about it some more, and saw that Ted and Marshall were rocking tuxes, and Lily was dressed up...but I think that Robin/Barney is too much too soon, if they ever rehash that again. Frankly, I can't see them not being together in the end, but I can't imagine it will happen now, so if I had to guess, if the wedding is someone who we've met before, I'd almost go with someone in Ted's family, like his sister maybe? I dunno. I think it will probably be a wedding of someone we haven't met yet, but who will be introduced as being friends with Marshall and Ted in college, maybe.

The only other wedding scenario I've been able to think of is if they go the "Robin's got to stay in the country" route, which I thought they cleared up with her saying she was going to dual citizenship...unless there's been a snafu with it...

I usually love this show....but tonight's episode was really bad. Not funny at all, and Barney was way over the top. Even more than usual.

I heard somebody else say that too. But I liked tonight's episode. It wasn't a classic, but I enjoyed it.

Wow. I liked it. Agree that it wasn't an instant classic, but at the same time, it had all the right elements in place for what makes a great episode great. Two stories balanced by having all the players in one setting, with the "B" story being there, but essentially riding the back seat and not trying to put itself forward.

Barney was over the top, but it fit the situation. When isn't he over the top when he's about him mom and all the lying that she did for him? He goes with the lie, even though he obviously knows it is a lie. By the end of the episode, that over the top feeling just seemed to melt away into a genuine moment for the character.

Does Jaime watch this show? He woulda been wincing over Ted's Karate Kid moment...

And come on: Frances Conroy, Ben Vereen and Wayne Brady? How's about that for added fun?

I didn't found the episode particularly entertaining too. Not that it hadn't its moments, but I expect more from this sixth season.

I'm seeing next week's episode has Robin having second thoughts about Don. I wonder if they could be the ones marrying when Ted meets the mother. If we are to have the wedding by the end of the season, they shouldn't take too long to introduce the couple.

I still haven't finished this week's episode, but I'm a fan of Wayne Brady so so far so good.

I admit that the last couple of seasons were a bit lackluster so I'm approaching the new season cautiously. The first episode was ok, but not quite the same as I feel towards the first seasons. Maybe it's me going past the "honeymoon phase" - after all, 6 seasons is quite a long time.

Archived