How I Met Your Mother 2

Jaxom 1974

Isn't the wedding for Rachel Bilson and her girl friend? Why else would the mother be there without Ted having previously met her? It's not like Barney and Robin would be inviting friends to their wedding that Ted doesn't know. And Barney and Robin aren't getting married, never gonna happen.

Isn't the wedding for Rachel Bilson and her girl friend? Why else would the mother be there without Ted having previously met her? It's not like Barney and Robin would be inviting friends to their wedding that Ted doesn't know. And Barney and Robin aren't getting married, never gonna happen.

Ah. Well done. Good catch. Makes for a nice angle with the yellow umbrella too...

:rolleyes: If you've been following six seasons of a show you despise solely to find out who the mother is, you've missed the point of the show by a fucking mile. The premise is merely a vehicle to hear stories about friends in their late 20's/early 30's.

I thought this episode was a good start to the new season. Nice laughs. And we see why Robin was looking a bit off in the one-minute preview.

And I'm not sure we know whose wedding it is...

I got the point and I only watched the show regularly for 1 and a half seasons. But they keep dangling the mother thing almost every episode so it's like "Ah! Gilligan and Co. are finally getting off the island!" and then they don't. The difference is people know the castaways will never get off the island so there's no real let down. With HIMYM you know you got to meet her eventually and 6 seasons is just too damn long and it becomes distracting unless you decide not to care and when I considered pretty much not to care I realized just how annoying each and every character was and how I didn't have any real investment in what happened to any of them.

I just hate this show.

At the end when Lily comes out of the church, she calls Ted by saying "Best man, you're being summoned." Ted replies with "What now?" At whom else's wedding would Ted be the best man if not Barney? (Esp. since Barney jokes about being Ted's best man earlier in the episode.) And both Ted and Marshall are wearing tuxedos.

Doesn't sound like these guys are in Cindy's wedding party... but who knows what can happen in a season.

My guess: it's indeed Barney and Robin's wedding but it gets called off at the last minute. (I'm guessing this from the "being summoned" and "what now" bits.) Now why Ted's future wife would be at Barney and Robin's (or Barney and whoever's) wedding, I have no idea.

At the end when Lily comes out of the church, she calls Ted by saying "Best man, you're being summoned." Ted replies with "What now?" At whom else's wedding would Ted be the best man if not Barney? (Esp. since Barney jokes about being Ted's best man earlier in the episode.) And both Ted and Marshall are wearing tuxedos.

Doesn't sound like these guys are in Cindy's wedding party... but who knows what can happen in a season.

My guess: it's indeed Barney and Robin's wedding but it gets called off at the last minute. (I'm guessing this from the "being summoned" and "what now" bits.) Now why Ted's future wife would be at Barney and Robin's (or Barney and whoever's) wedding, I have no idea.

Yeah, I don't know. I'm just hoping that Rachel Bilson (and her hot girlfriend) works her way into the group, and maybe she wants Ted as her best man because he opened her up to what she really needed. But she only has two episode credits on imdb, so that's probably not going to happen. Maybe he's Robin's maid of honor best man?

But it's not Barney and Robin getting married; that's just not going to happen. It would just piss off way too many of the loyal fans if they went there again, and as good as the writers usually are with linking things with past seasons, I refuse to believe that they would rehash their whole relationship when they spent so much time getting them back on track as friends.

So, not only they played with us with the mother issue, and had lied to us in the previous press releases, but we didn't get to see her ankles. I feel cheated!!!!

Seriously: a great season opener. And I like that now we we'll have to figure out no only who is the mother, but also who is the couple that is marrying. Very good sensations.

Terrible opener. It had the familiar, aggravating, rehashed elements: Robin and Ted maybe hooking up and Barney/Robin shitfest. Awesome, it's Season 1 and 3 in a blender.

Cannot believe I got suckered by the promo. The only moment of this episode that was amusing were Barney's little poems about sun dresses. Get him going after Robin again and ruin his actual appeal!

I might start skipping this show. It still has good episodes, but the bad ones make me want my 21 minutes back.

I don't really care how long they tease out meeting the mother as long ads the show stays funny, and this episode was very funny. Come one, we had Marshall screaming "Can you dig it?" before making a triumphal 'go get Lilly pregnant' march through the office. We had Barney's interrupted story of Sir Walter Dibs. We had funny schlub Robin, and then funny hot Robin. We had Rachel Bilson making out with another hot woman. I don't need much more than that.

I saw a theory on another blog that the wedding might be Stella and Tony's. I can kinda see why Ted might agree to be Tony's best man (and I could definitely see Tony asking him) but it seems a bit out there. For one, Stella was adamant that exes shouldnt be invited to weddings, right? For another, Ted must still be pretty pissed at the Wedding Bride. I thought I'd throw it into the mix, anyway. The show definitely implies the wedding is the lesbians, but when you think about it, that doesn't make any more sense than Tony and Stella to me. Barney and Robin, or Barney and someone, seem the most likely, since both Ted and Marshall were in tuxedoes.

PS; my dibs only ever cost 10 bucks, maximum.

I don't really care how long they tease out meeting the mother as long ads the show stays funny, and this episode was very funny. Come one, we had Marshall screaming "Can you dig it?" before making a triumphal 'go get Lilly pregnant' march through the office. We had Barney's interrupted story of Sir Walter Dibs. We had funny schlub Robin, and then funny hot Robin. We had Rachel Bilson making out with another hot woman. I don't need much more than that.

My favorite bit was when someone in the crowd at the office yelled out, "In the hole, Big Fudge!" or something as equally crude... :P

My favorite bit was when someone in the crowd at the office yelled out, "In the hole, Big Fudge!" or something as equally crude... :P

My favorite moment of the episode as well. I'm going to insist that my co-workers form the same type of cheering section if I ever leave to impregnate my wife. If I ever get married.

Damn, I'm such a Ted.

I got the point and I only watched the show regularly for 1 and a half seasons. But they keep dangling the mother thing almost every episode so it's like "Ah! Gilligan and Co. are finally getting off the island!" and then they don't. The difference is people know the castaways will never get off the island so there's no real let down. With HIMYM you know you got to meet her eventually and 6 seasons is just too damn long and it becomes distracting unless you decide not to care and when I considered pretty much not to care I realized just how annoying each and every character was and how I didn't have any real investment in what happened to any of them.

I just hate this show.

Clearly you don't get the point. Its about the journey, not the destination. If you thought the journey is going to end in 1.5 or 2 seasons, you don't have a very realistic appraisal of TV series plot arches.

But more likely, you just don't like the characters or the storylines. I completely disagree, but everyone's tastes are different. However if you feel that way, and you clearly do, then why watch the show?

God, it feels like I'm reading a damn Heroes thread.

Don't let one bad apple get you down there. This thread is going along swimmingly. And if anyone disagrees the wrong way, I'm sure Mya will sweep in to teach them where they've gone wrong... :P

Clearly you don't get the point. Its about the journey, not the destination. If you thought the journey is going to end in 1.5 or 2 seasons, you don't have a very realistic appraisal of TV series plot arches.

But more likely, you just don't like the characters or the storylines. I completely disagree, but everyone's tastes are different. However if you feel that way, and you clearly do, then why watch the show?

I was drawn in by the previews like a couple other people said they were, my curiosity was vaguely piqued, then was once again pissed at the show for jerking me around. Honestly if I wasn't sitting in front of the TV at 8pm and CBS just happened to be on, I would never have watched it.

I clearly do get the point of it, I just think it's a lousy thing the writers do to the viewers. First of all we get to hear Saget's annoying as hell voice say "this is where I met your mother" and then we don't get to see it. For the first season this was fine, it was cute, but by the middle of season 2 it got incredibly old and incredibly irritating.

I have a very realistic view of plot arcs. I think Babylon 5 was one show that did it the best, they tempted you, they gave you clues, HIMYM does this but they also tease you which B5 didn't and what I detest.

This show should have been over in 1.5 - 2 seasons or its tone should have changed as it just stopped working for me. Obviously it works for others though and the show stays a hit, which is fine but it doesn't work for me and I was venting that in this thread because I was irritated at getting sucked in once again to watching an episode of this vile show when I had given up on it.

It's not because I don't understand how TV works or the intricies of thiIs elaborately planned series, it's that I just don't like this show. Some people love roadrunner cartoons, me, I get bored after one or two cartoons of seeing the Coyote fail time after time to catch that damn bird even though each time he has a different elaborate scheme, yet at the same time I know that once the coyote catches the roadrunner, the series is over.

It's a comedy show. The point is that it's light hearted, everyone has a few laughs and we may or may not eventually get some character arcs resolved. If it never happened, it'd still be a good show. The plot is not intrinsic to success, as I doubt very much that the writer's are really stuck in front of their pages, rubbing their heads, and wondering how best to resolve things. Sure, I'm curious as to who the mother is, but it's wise not to forget that this is all a bit of fun.

I enjoyed the new episode.

I clearly do get the point of it, I just think it's a lousy thing the writers do to the viewers.

Yeah, I hate it when writers tell funny "stories" with relatable "characters." That irritates the hell out of me too. :rolleyes:

I have a very realistic view of plot arcs. I think Babylon 5 was one show that did it the best, they tempted you, they gave you clues, HIMYM does this but they also tease you which B5 didn't and what I detest.

No, you don't. You expect a successful show to end its run after 2 seasons? What planet do you live on?

This show should have been over in 1.5 - 2 seasons or its tone should have changed as it just stopped working for me. Obviously it works for others though and the show stays a hit, which is fine but it doesn't work for me and I was venting that in this thread because I was irritated at getting sucked in once again to watching an episode of this vile show when I had given up on it.

Actually, I think season 3 is where the show really found its humor and took off. It doesn't work for you, I guess. But what puzzles me is watching it now and feeling angry. You thought it was going to be different now... why?

It's not because I don't understand how TV works or the intricies of thiIs elaborately planned series, it's that I just don't like this show. Some people love roadrunner cartoons, me, I get bored after one or two cartoons of seeing the Coyote fail time after time to catch that damn bird even though each time he has a different elaborate scheme, yet at the same time I know that once the coyote catches the roadrunner, the series is over.

Just wanted to point out that's a bad metaphor, since the Wile E. Coyote NEVER caught the roadrunner. Which was sort of the point of the cartoons. The show wasn't called "How I Ate the Roadrunner."

Don't let one bad apple get you down there. This thread is going along swimmingly. And if anyone disagrees the wrong way, I'm sure Mya will sweep in to teach them where they've gone wrong... :P

Very true.

Anyway, I sort of wondered if it was Robin and Don's wedding. But then I don't see how Ted would be best man.

And both Marshall and Ted were in tuxes, so that points towards Barney.

I don't think I want Barney and Robin hooking back up. I kinda wouldn't mind seeing Barney land someone else though. She's have to be awesome in a way to defies explanation. Hmmm... maybe Jenkins?

The plot is not intrinsic to success, as I doubt very much that the writer's are really stuck in front of their pages, rubbing their heads, and wondering how best to resolve things.

I think it's more likely the writers are in front of their pages, rubbing their heads and trying to think of more ways to postpone the meeting with the mother.

As I said before, I don't hate the show. And I'm not trying to come into the thread and bash the show. I just think this was a weak episode and that generally, the last couple seasons have been far below the first two.

And Marshall is the only character I find remotely relatable.

It was a just OK episode, but it wasn't anything great. To be honest, I don't mind the "we're not going to show you the Mother" bit, but I do get bored when they recycle plotlines.

Marshall and Lily have a problem with every single aspect of being married. Aside from the march through the office, which was ace - the rest of it was pretty dull. And it's distracting seeing just how orange Allyson Hannigan has become.

Ted and Barney's dibs antics were something I felt I'd seen a bazillion times before. Wasn't all that great this time around. Maybe it would've been funnier if we'd seen Barney's "dibs" origin story, but honestly, even that's been done to death.

Robin the schlub. Didn't we see this already? She did a fine job of it, but honestly, didn't we see her and Barney become unhappy schlubs not all that long ago?

Rachel Bilson making out with hot legs at the bar. Okay, that was awesome. No complaints there.

Really, the best episodes of this show are when they manage to bring all of the cast in on one plot. Something that sort of rings true for people in their late 20s and then taken to a ridiculous level. The ones where it's basically everyone else doing the same old shit while Marshall and Lily have a supposedly grownup problem that is completely unrelated are essentially filler.

Yeah, I hate it when writers tell funny "stories" with relatable "characters." That irritates the hell out of me too. :rolleyes:

No, you don't. You expect a successful show to end its run after 2 seasons? What planet do you live on?

Actually, I think season 3 is where the show really found its humor and took off. It doesn't work for you, I guess. But what puzzles me is watching it now and feeling angry. You thought it was going to be different now... why?

Just wanted to point out that's a bad metaphor, since the Wile E. Coyote NEVER caught the roadrunner. Which was sort of the point of the cartoons. The show wasn't called "How I Ate the Roadrunner."

Funny stories to you, not to me.

The same planet that has shows like "The Prisoner" and "Life on Mars" and the UK "The Office". Maybe I don't belong in this country but definitley this planet. But that's not true either because 9 times out of 10 I prefer as well as "get" U.S. shows better than UK ones.

Also what I said was the show should have ended or changed its tone during the second season for it to keep me liking it. If it still works for you fine.

Yeah, one thing you're right about it I shouldn't have thought last night was going to be different. It's like a bad relationship, "Come back to me baby, I swear I've changed! This time it's gonna be different!" and then if you do come back you get the same abuse.

The metaphor is apt as I was pointing out different plots for this show don't work for me because I am bored with the premise and the characters.

If I didn't say it clearly enough before, let me riterate, I'm fine with other people liking this show but I don't, and I'm fine if my reasons don't make sense to others, they make sense to me and they're the best way I have of explaining why I don't like it. Although, that doesn't mean we couldn't be totally in sync with our opinions on a different TV show. Defend your program all you want, but please don't attack me personally, I've only been directing my negative feelings toward the show, I'm not some naieve bumpkin when it comes to the mechanics of television shows.

Drawkabi,

Apologies if you felt attacked. No one likes to read one of "their" shows rather non-constructively attacked, especially for sticking with what makes it work. Tastes differ I guess. :dunno:

Anyway, back to discussion.

I think my two laugh-out-loud moments I had in the episode were Marshall's exit from the office and Barney leering while taking a picture of the two girls making out.

The rest of the gags were decent, producing small grins for shits and giggles.

They kinda retconned the fact that Rachel Bilson's character was "mad" at Ted. As I recall, they just broke up because professors and students couldn't date and afterward she was a little irritated that he keyed in on the only possessions that belonged to her roommate that were in Bilson's bedroom.

They seeemed to hint that her conciliatory attitude came about because she'd come to terms with her sexuality. Sort of came out of nowhere, but this isn't that in-depth of a character study show.

Archived