Worldcon 2011: Reno

LMG,

And to think I almost waited to make the reservations for the Atlantis until today. Glad I struck while the Iron was hot.

Two of the guys in my room are defanitly planning to attend. One is Tycho the other used to be called Dracarys and is now Neltharion. I'll have his new board handle in a moment. The final shall remain nameless until he knows whether he's going to be able to attend with more certianty. If the final guy in our room can't attend his spot in our room will be open to another. We all bath regularly, and I don't argue politics in my sleep, I promise.

:)

Wow, the Atlantis block sure sold out quickly! I hope they are able to get the hotel to release more rooms at that rate. I did a bit of looking online and checked with AAA to see if I could find any other discounts that might help, but none could come close to the con rate.

Good thing they have a larger block at Pepermill...

One is Tycho the other used to be called Dracarys and is now Neltharion. I'll have his new board handle in a moment. The final shall remain nameless until he knows whether he's going to be able to attend with more certianty.

Dracarys changed his handle? This is because of the exclamation point, isn't it?

I have a membership and am definitely attending unless some wrench gets thrown in the works.

Ugh, I guess I missed out on the Atlantis block as well. Will try for a Peppermill room. I don't particularly care one way or another, but being in the party hotel is certainly convenient, and I missed out on that in Denver and Montreal.

Glad to hear you are coming to SF, MG! Other people should feel free to visit our fair city as well. :)

Just getting our memberships now. Totally slack this year! I was hoping to get into the Atlantis, but it looks like the Peppermill for us too.

We're also hoping to hit San Fransico after the con, not only because it's cheaper and easier to fly direct from there, but it's one of the few places in the US I've always wanted to see. We're still debating on hitting Vegas a couple days before the con, just because I've always wanted to see if it's as cheesy as I always thought it would be. It looks pretty cheap to fly up to Reno from there.

I'm making a two-week trip out of it (with husband, mostly before the con) and will probably be driving up from Vegas to Reno on the 16th, so there may be space to give you a lift, Tyria. :)

Just getting our memberships now. Totally slack this year! I was hoping to get into the Atlantis, but it looks like the Peppermill for us too.

We're also hoping to hit San Fransico after the con, not only because it's cheaper and easier to fly direct from there, but it's one of the few places in the US I've always wanted to see. We're still debating on hitting Vegas a couple days before the con, just because I've always wanted to see if it's as cheesy as I always thought it would be. It looks pretty cheap to fly up to Reno from there.

Flying around between SF/Reno/Vegas/LA on Southwest is generally cheap and fast. I recommend it. The only thing that sucks is that both the Vegas and Reno airports are full of loud, annoying slot machines, so be sure to bring headphones for waiting at the gate.

Who is head BWB party person for this con? I will volunteer in advance to drive around and shop for stuff in Reno.

I'm making a two-week trip out of it (with husband, mostly before the con) and will probably be driving up from Vegas to Reno on the 16th, so there may be space to give you a lift, Tyria. :)

Ohhh..that's good to know! We thought about renting a car, but an 8 hour drive through the desert just seems so the Hills Have Eyes :uhoh:, so we looked into flights, and they're actually pretty cheap. It would be cool to meet up in Vegas for sure. We're aiming to get there on the 14th or 15th and fly up to Reno on the morning of 17th.

We might bus it to San Francisco after the con. Not sure about that one yet.

Ohhh..that's good to know! We thought about renting a car, but an 8 hour drive through the desert just seems so the Hills Have Eyes :uhoh:, so we looked into flights, and they're actually pretty cheap. It would be cool to meet up in Vegas for sure. We're aiming to get there on the 14th or 15th and fly up to Reno on the morning of 17th.

We might bus it to San Francisco after the con. Not sure about that one yet.

There's an Amtrak train which goes from Reno to Oakland-- but depending on when you want to go, I might be able to give you a ride to SF as well. (That drive is shorter and more populated.)

MinDonner, if you want to drive a scenic (full of excellent geology!) route from Vegas to Reno, let me know and I will recommend some routes, although that time of year is hot as all hell around Vegas so you probably don't want to get out of the car. (It doesn't stop lots of other tourists from driving around the desert in the summer, though.)

De-lurk! I booked my room at the Atlantis a few days ago, though I still have a flight to arrange. There is a slight chance that my summer plans will go totally haywire and I won't be able to make it, but let's hope that doesn't happen.

I'm looking forward to finally seeing you crazy kids again! It's been since '06... ouch.

MinDonner, if you want to drive a scenic (full of excellent geology!) route from Vegas to Reno, let me know and I will recommend some routes, although that time of year is hot as all hell around Vegas so you probably don't want to get out of the car. (It doesn't stop lots of other tourists from driving around the desert in the summer, though.)

Thanks Kat! :) I was planning on making a SW US Road Trip thread in GC nearer the time, cos there may be other people planning on doing similar who can share recommendations - good to get the local knowledge.

And yeah, it's a shame it has to be in August (not to mention the fact that flights cost about double as well!) but alas, nothing to be done about that.

De-lurk! I booked my room at the Atlantis a few days ago, though I still have a flight to arrange. There is a slight chance that my summer plans will go totally haywire and I won't be able to make it, but let's hope that doesn't happen.

I'm looking forward to finally seeing you crazy kids again! It's been since '06... ouch.

Hey! Long time no see, glad to see you're coming. :thumbsup:

Thanks Kat! :) I was planning on making a SW US Road Trip thread in GC nearer the time, cos there may be other people planning on doing similar who can share recommendations - good to get the local knowledge.

My road trip recommendations come with the Zollo and Pod seal of approval, or at least the seal of not-driving-into-quicksand-and-active-nuclear-testing-grounds. Take that as you will.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived