Football XX

Black Wizard

Would probably be very good for Italy and Italian football if he became a record-breaking goal scorer for Italy, leading them to a EC or a WC.

They certainly need a few quality young players urgently!

I wonder who their new manager will be also.

Perhaps they're going for a club they came from or are part of theme? Torres was caught holding an Atletico Madrid scarf. Despite news stories stating he was wearing a Liverpool shirt, I've yet to see that.

Scarf, not shirt.

Continuing to get rid of some players, McManus has now permanently left Celtic, along with Boruc.

Latest incoming is Mexican Efrain Juarez. A quite energetic fellow. I'm looking forward to seeing him play more. A much better player to have available than the likes of Landry Nguemo. :stunned:

Our second WC pick, after getting South Korea's flying right back, Cha Du-Ri. Looking forward to the new season. Ledley is a pretty nifty fella on his feet, and Mulgrew isn't too bad, either. Better on the ball in all fairness. Who's next?

What other transfer dealings are going on around Europe?

What other transfer dealings are going on around Europe?

Thierry Henry has signed up with RB New York.

Bayern (and allegedly Barcelona) are chasing van der Wiel (presumably there are no decent and affordable left-backs available?), Real Madrid are allegedly after Khedira, Milan want Podolski but need to sell Huntelaar first.

In France both OM and OL are expected to make some bigger signings with Deschamps interested in Alou Diarra and Lyon rumored to be after Gourcuff. Missing out on European football might have cost Bordeaux even more dearly in the long run if both these deals go through.

In other news Carles Puyol has retired from the national team.

ETA: Also, some Sheik has just bought Málaga CF. I'm not sure if they've already set a date for their eventual Champions League win.

Indeed, and apparently Xray and I will get to see his debut for NY next Thursday when RB NY hosts Tottenham Hotspur.

that is pretty cool. i truly hope thierry has a good time in the states and bags a bunch of goals. sure, he had his handball thing. sure, the french team was not only shite but mutinous. but, i still love the man. the goals he has had for arsenal are all worth it. i am sure there is not a day that goes by he does not regret leaving emerites stadium for camp nou. i am not even an arsenal fan, but i loved them with him.

good luck in ny, thierry!

i am sure there is not a day that goes by he does not regret leaving emerites stadium for camp nou.

And then he immediately remembers his outstanding triple winning season with Barca and that Arsenal have a policy of only offering players over thirty one year deals.;)

And England on the strength of their worst ever performance in a World Cup went up a place. That makes sense. :unsure:

It kind of helps that they won all four warm up-games (I'm not sure if the Platinum all-Stars match counted though) and France were absolutely dreadful.

Diego Forlan Uruguay are in the top ten now.

Thierry Henry has signed up with RB New York.

He's apparently only 32, I thought he was older than that. It's a bit young to be going to the MLS, he might not be able to get into the Barcelona team but I would have thought he could still play at a reasonable level.

He's apparently only 32, I thought he was older than that. It's a bit young to be going to the MLS, he might not be able to get into the Barcelona team but I would have thought he could still play at a reasonable level.

i just think barca is too deep in the attack to need a guy like him anymore. sure, he still has a good pace, he is still good on the ball and his shot from the left side is great. but, do you need him in barca? nope. they have plenty of options. and he has stated he only would want to play for arsenal. they do not want him. no reason not to ply his trade in the states. he will be great for the american game. he will sell tickets and shirts. bringing the profile up of the mls is important. we do not have enough homegrown talent to do it properly. we will happily take europe and latin america's older stars.

I know he's not going to get in to the Barca team anymore but I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities for him to play in one of the top leagues. It seems like a strange decision to me as at 32 it essentially means he's decided to end his career. What sort of wages would he be getting in the MLS?

What sort of wages would he be getting in the MLS?

Henry will be a Designated Player for the Red Bulls, meaning only 400,000 USD counts towards the team's 2.55 million USD salary cap. The other NY designated player is Juan Pablo Angel, who makes 1.9 million USD. Other MLS designated players range from 500,000 USD to 6.5 million USD (Beckham), with most in the 1 to 2 million USD range. My guess is Henry will be on the upper end of that spectrum.

I'm thinking of supporting Egypt next time - apparently they do very well without even making an appearance - that's the kind of performance I truly admire.

:lol:

Puyol is 32 and slowing, so that makes sense. He has won everything now. Might as well concentrate on the club.

I'm actually pretty excited about Henry coming over here. I've heard great things about the new Red Bull Arena too. I need to get down to Jersey and check it out.

Too bad the Revs are still playing out of Gillette Stadium. <_<

I've heard great things about the new Red Bull Arena too. I need to get down to Jersey and check it out.

I've heard good things as well. Next week is going to be our first time going to a game there. Caught one NY Red Bull game at Giants Stadium and it was definitely lacking in atmosphere.

I'm thinking of supporting Egypt next time - apparently they do very well without even making an appearance - that's the kind of performance I truly admire.

How does that work, anyway? I know little about Egypt, but they failed to qualify for the WC after losing a playoff game to Algeria, a team that finished dead last with 1 point in a fairly mediocre group. Despite this, Egypt has moved up 3 places and is now in the top 10, way ahead of teams like Ghana and Paraguay which actually made the quarter-finals. What gives?

It's a rolling 4-year score. So if over the same period in 2006 a team did really badly, they'll probably climb the rankings unless they do equally badly. Similarly, if a team did really well in 2006 they'll fall a lot unless they matched it.

Archived