Big Bang Theory 3.0

Sis Who Swears

Laugh tracks are white noise I tune out. I'm amused people around here get their panties in a wad over them. If the show is funny, you should be laughing over the track. If it's not, well, that's the problem.

I actually enjoy the show, most times. But I'm not a 'laugh out loud' person, more of 'that's amusing' smile type. It's probably why I'm hyper aware of the laugh track.

I'm hating the recent episodes. I think it's because I catch older ones every once in awhile on E4 and the dynamic between the 4 main characters was always the focal point. Now we have 2 additional characters and their dynamic with the characters and it just doesn't work as well for me. Too much relationship stuff.

"grating," "distracting" and "a bit annoying" now equals getting our panties into a wad? Sexist nature of the comment aside, you are really reaching for some hyperbole here, aren't you?

Seeing that I use that phrase for guys as much as gals, no sexism was intended. ;) So don't get your... oh. Wait. Sorry. Boxers in a wad.

The anti-laugh track is a common theme I've seen across many show threads around here over the last few months or so. Just seems like a funny thing to get hung up on to me. Someone mentions it and then a few others jump in. Sorry. I just don't get the hate.

A show is either funny or not, canned laughs and giggles aside.

There's a laugh track? Unless a show is unfunny then laugh tracks are like BGM. The only time I notice laugh tracks is when the laughter comes in a part that really wasn't funny, just like when there's some dramatic crescendo of music in a scene without much drama.

This season is doing fine so far. But it's always at its best when it's the 4 nerds doing their nerd thing.

Best episode of the season so far. Even though I saw every joke coming miles ahead I still laughed my ass off.

It was a homerun of an epsiode. Leonard's final conversation there with Priya was just awesome.

I'm hating the recent episodes. I think it's because I catch older ones every once in awhile on E4 and the dynamic between the 4 main characters was always the focal point. Now we have 2 additional characters and their dynamic with the characters and it just doesn't work as well for me. Too much relationship stuff.

Sorry. Still don't buy this argument. It goes against the grain of the shows base concept (in my mind anyway). To have simply stayed focused on the four guys and Penny would have caused this show to grind to a screeching halt about three years ago.

Been a while since I have seen an episode that was as awesome as many of the old ones. One of my old favorites I caught a rerun of the other night is when Penny falls in the shower and all the guys other than Sheldon are eating doctored cookies in the desert.

Sorry. Still don't buy this argument. It goes against the grain of the shows base concept (in my mind anyway). To have simply stayed focused on the four guys and Penny would have caused this show to grind to a screeching halt about three years ago.

I agree with your assessment, the only problem is back when it was just the 4 guys and Penny it was an easier dynamic and they could punch out hilarious episodes one right after another, but like you said it would have gotten old before its time. With Amy, Bernadette, and sometimes Priya it adds more depth to the series and room for growth, and when it's funny it's really funny, but the extra characters make it difficult for every episode to be firing on all cylinders and you end up with more episodes falling flat.

I agree with your assessment, the only problem is back when it was just the 4 guys and Penny it was an easier dynamic and they could punch out hilarious episodes one right after another, but like you said it would have gotten old before its time. With Amy, Bernadette, and sometimes Priya it adds more depth to the series and room for growth, and when it's funny it's really funny, but the extra characters make it difficult for every episode to be firing on all cylinders and you end up with more episodes falling flat.

Obviously too much of the newer characters can lead to situations like that. Other times, in the smaller doses, you get this last episode with Bernadette...one scene, huge payoff.

There's this new sitcom on ABC called Man Up. I've only caught one episode but what I thought of it was "Big Bang Theory For Dummies".

Anyway, lots of lameness on this show and it's showing severe symptoms of cancel-itis, also some of the characters are sitcom-homophobic in a way that went out of style back in the late 80's/early 90's. But with all that said the episode I watched did have it's endearing moments.

It's about 3 average guys that like to do nerd things like play video games and watch sci-fi but they are none too bright. In fact one of the characters asked them "When was the last time any of you read a book?" and none of them could answer.

But the episode I saw was centered around watching Star Wars in "its most pure and original form"...a former rental tape circa 1982 Betamax format. The guy's Betamax came complete with heavy cinder block to keep the top loading tape cartridge from popping up. I just found this funny because when the fast rewind broke on my Betamax the only way I could rewind a tape was the slow way, having the machine on "play" and holding down rewind where you'd see the movie or show or whatever going backwards on the TV as it slowly rewound. I rigged a method for rewinding tapes by using one of my dad's car trophies to weigh down the rewind button so I didn't have to stand there for 10-15 minutes holding down the button with my finger.

Watched last nights episode and gotta say except for a couple funny individual moments, overall i didn't feel the show was that good. And normally i think episodes that are Amy Farah Fowler heavy are really good, but i guess im echoing something i posted before, where i feel the show feels like it has lost some of it's steam this season. Seasons 1-4 i can still watch over and over again, yet so far there really isn't an episode i feel like i wanna watch twice.

Watched last nights episode and gotta say except for a couple funny individual moments, overall i didn't feel the show was that good. And normally i think episodes that are Amy Farah Fowler heavy are really good, but i guess im echoing something i posted before, where i feel the show feels like it has lost some of it's steam this season. Seasons 1-4 i can still watch over and over again, yet so far there really isn't an episode i feel like i wanna watch twice.

Like I said earlier in the thread, Amy and Penny have the chemistry, last night was too much Sheldon and Amy, it was cute Sheldon having to step in and be the comforting boyfriend and slightly funny at moments but no big laughs. Also, Raj had nothing to do except remark on women's fashion, and when he raised his hand that was one of the biggest laughs in the show.

Leonard's almost infidelity was a good episode. And they needed to either progress or end the Priya plot.

Last night's episode was weak, but I don't find Amy that funny. The actress is able to generate laughs with her awkward delivery and physical portrayal of lumpen, awkward Amy, but Amy's character is a drag. It relies too much on a growing lesbian fascination with Penny and growing sexual frustration in general, and it demands too much of the other characters. It's hard for Penny and Bernadette to convincingly enjoy Amy's company amid all the Sheldon-like behavior. The guys barely tolerate Sheldon, and they're supposed to be much further along the Sheldon/Amy spectrum. And Sheldon isn't going to suddenly become a sexual outlet for her. So her character is awkward and demanding and difficult to maintain as a friend.

I loved this episode. Usually Sheldon is funny, but he grates on me, which is ok because he is supposed to. Last nights episode was good because it took Sheldon out of his comfort zone, IMO.

I like that, even though Sheldon would deny it, he obviously has feelings for Amy. It was great when he snapped out the topic about women being bat crazy. Then the worry over not being able to contact her. Then the anger he diplayed to Leonard and Howard about their women. I thought they were all great and rang true to me with Sheldon's character's progression.

What I'm hoping for now is the actual episode with Amy and Sheldon's "coitus". It will probably be after the wedding, which will probably be the season finale this year. Imagine how awkward that would be. lol

I just feel they are really starting to stray too far of course, from what we have come to expect from the show. I still love it and will continue to watch it, especially as long as i see Longclaw on their wall :P . Plain and simple, Howard need to be a horndog again, Sheldon needs to up his annoying superiority to where it once was and Raj needs to get back to his weird almost homosexual relationship with Howard, then the universe will make sense again :). Whats funny is i almost never really care what Leonard does in an episode, does anyone else feel that way. I like the character i just never care what he's doing.

I loved this episode. Usually Sheldon is funny, but he grates on me, which is ok because he is supposed to. Last nights episode was good because it took Sheldon out of his comfort zone, IMO.

I like that, even though Sheldon would deny it, he obviously has feelings for Amy. It was great when he snapped out the topic about women being bat crazy. Then the worry over not being able to contact her. Then the anger he diplayed to Leonard and Howard about their women. I thought they were all great and rang true to me with Sheldon's character's progression.

What I'm hoping for now is the actual episode with Amy and Sheldon's "coitus". It will probably be after the wedding, which will probably be the season finale this year. Imagine how awkward that would be. lol

I'm almost certain the Howard/Bernadette wedding won't happen. I'm guessing they will break up at the end of the season.

I just feel they are really starting to stray too far of course, from what we have come to expect from the show. I still love it and will continue to watch it, especially as long as i see Longclaw on their wall :P . Plain and simple, Howard need to be a horndog again, Sheldon needs to up his annoying superiority to where it once was and Raj needs to get back to his weird almost homosexual relationship with Howard, then the universe will make sense again :). Whats funny is i almost never really care what Leonard does in an episode, does anyone else feel that way. I like the character i just never care what he's doing.

Leonard's basically the straight man of the show.

We watched the last couple episodes out of order. First watched Howard goes to space ep, which was a little weak. Then the Wil Wheaton episode which was funnier than hell. The black velvet painting of Wesley Crusher, Spiner and Leonard bargaining, it was classic.

Archived