NFL vol 4

davos

Well, Dilfer who has suffered something like 14 concussions was arguing that this new rule is too draconian. Steve Young disagreed saying it was necessary because the current crop of QBs in the league are retarded and keep leading their receivers into big hits and Millen was yelling at no-one in particular, presumably angry that Mike Williams is now a a good receiver. Add in Stuart Scott just Stuing it up and I think that constitutes a "devastating hit" on the audience under the new NFL rule, something that Roger Goodell shouldn't and doesn't tolerate.

Yeah, well the explosion in the number of sportscasters in each program is ridiculous. Why exactly does every perennial pro-bowler needs to get hired immediately after his retirement? These days it's seven huge men in suits crowded around a desk yelling for our attention. Not exactly conducive to intelligent, or even coherent, analysis.

There's a reason that I prefer my sports news in print form, because it usually involves people who have at least a passing familiarity with the English language.

Yeah, well the explosion in the number of sportscasters in each program is ridiculous. Why exactly does every perennial pro-bowler needs to get hired immediately after his retirement? These days it's seven huge men in suits crowded around a desk yelling for our attention. Not exactly conducive to intelligent, or even coherent, analysis.

There's a reason that I prefer my sports news in print form, because it usually involves people who have at least a passing familiarity with the English language.

Agree with all of this. I'm trying to think of recent former athlete hires that I actually like. Really the only one that comes to mind is Michael Strahan who IMO is engaging and fun and actually looks comfortable on TV.

I don't understand why networks feel like they have to hire every former Patriot who retires. Trent Dilfer's super opinionated yet everything he says makes me want to punch him in the face. Tim Hasselback...why? Tiki Barber was a trainwreck - he's only relevant when he's stirring up crap for the Giants and then immediately gets proven wrong. Warren Sapp's about as good as I'd expect to be. Emmitt Smith was probably the worst analyst of all time.

Actually like the former athletes of prior generations a lot more because for them to stick around this long at least they have to actually be polished to some degree. They can't just coast on their immediate acquaintance to a team or the league. With newer guys it feels like amateur hour. Really, these guys should be taking their lumps in local markets before subjecting national audiences to their awfulness.

Marshall Faulk wasn't super recent, but he's awesome. He's good in the booth too, and that one night where he got to talk with Dick Vermeil was a great bit of broadcasting. He's really good.

Beyond that...uh...I have no idea. Even Aikman, who I used to really like, is starting to sip on the Joe Buck Favrecockganza train.

Yeah of the recent athletes only Michael Strahan is any good. For the most part they are going to be bad, they are jocks not professional sportscasters. It takes hard work to control your voice and talk without stumbling. U mentioned Emmitt Smith, He was epic bad. But did u see his HoF speech? It was actually good because he practiced with a speech coach for 6 months before doing it. Shoulda done that before trying to quote Jimmy V. :bang:

Of course there have been some gems in the past: Pat Summerall, Frank Gifford (though he's arguable), Dandy Don Meredith. Troy Aikman.

The guys on CBS are okay. So is Steve Young. The rest of the guys on ESPN are garbage.

Moose Johnson isn't bad.

I like Boomer Esiason a lot, actually (he was awful on MNF but he does really strong work on NBC and on ESPN radio).

Obviously, Collinsworth is spectacular.

I actually think Harrison does okay - I think he provided solid analysis on the whole current concussion controversy (he said if you want to get to these guys, you HAVE to suspend them; do not just fine them; and he explained why).

Phil Simms I think is hit or miss- can be a complete idiot; other times I think he provides insight.

But there have been disasters: Deion Sanders, Emmitt Smith, I think Aikmen is a moron; Jerome Bettis, obviously Terry Bradshaw jumped the Shark after Cannonball Run. The list goes on and on...

Anyone hear about this?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/19/chris-johnsons-fantasy-owners-should-thank-espn-jack-del-rio/

Titans coach Jeff Fisher indicated that it was largely ESPN's fault. The network still needed more television timeouts and apparently asked both coaching staffs to take timeouts late.

"Jack [Del Rio] used his timeouts," Fisher said after the game via Terry McCormick of Titans Insider. "My understanding is they needed network timeouts, and that's why Jack used his timeouts. They came over and asked me to do it, but I said, 'I was hoping to get a first down and kneel on it.'"

Didn't know stuff like this was going on, and it seems really odd on ESPN's part to be talking to coaches about timeouts on the field during a blowout.

I think Joe Buck's smugness has rubbed off on Troy. Forgot about Moose Johnston. And I have always liked Collinsworth.

I think it's possible Aikman would be ok alone, but with Buck he is pretty awful. Michael Irvin and Emmit Smith are both terrible. I don't know that I've ever seen Moose Johnston. Although I admit, it is very hard for me to like former Cowboys. I have no incentive whatsoever to do so.

Here's a horrible thought: Next year Favre will be in the booth. Gah.

Oh, and I think Kurt Warner is pretty good whenever he shows up.

I think it's possible Aikman would be ok alone, but with Buck he is pretty awful. Michael Irvin and Emmit Smith are both terrible. I don't know that I've ever seen Moose Johnston. Although I admit, it is very hard for me to like former Cowboys. I have no incentive whatsoever to do so.

Here's a horrible thought: Next year Favre will be in the booth. Gah.

Oh, and I think Kurt Warner is pretty good whenever he shows up.

Emmitt was bad. Irvin is annoying. I actually like Deion as a commentator. I'm not sure how old you are but former Cowboy Don Meredith was a part of what is considered the Golden Age of MNF. His folksy commentary and constant needling of Howard Cosell was great TV.

"Turn out the liiiiiiights the party's over..."

I hate the Cowboys and I think that Moose and Aikman are two of the best announcers that I ever listen to for pro football. I also don't mind the Monday night crew.

Joe Buck sucks at everything in life.

Phil Sims is an absolute moron and pansy.

Keyshawn Johnson is also terrible (although at least he doesn't announce during the game). Most loud mouth WR really annoy me on and off the field in any situation.

Did anyone see Young and Millen arguing last night? I got home late and just flipped it to the post game. Caught a fairly heated argument about the NFL implementing the no devastating hits rule.

EDIT: Forgot to mention how bad Tony Siragusa is... :ack:

Simms sucks and is condescending. KJ really blows and you can see the rest of the group thinking "get on with it" when he starts talking. Agree on Faulk, he's awesome.

And Martz ran an offense against Carolina the week before that put up 218 rushing yards. His quarterback was just returning from a concussion after he got the shit kicked out of him because a refusal to just call running plays when constant pressure is applied. It doesn't matter if the runs would have resulted in 3 and outs, with Forte and Taylor the chance is there that one of them will pull off a big run. Get the ball to Forte with short screens, the guy is a marvel when he has open field in front of him to work with. Do something so that defenses have to at least pretend to respect the ability to rush.

Same ol' Martz. Glad to see it's the city down the road having these arguments instead of us. This is the kind of talk you used to hear on the radio on a daily basis in St. Louis, and this was when we had Faulk and Jackson. He was partially responsible for Warner taking a backseat in the NFL, and pretty much made and killed Bulger's career.

Anyone hear about this?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/19/chris-johnsons-fantasy-owners-should-thank-espn-jack-del-rio/

Titans coach Jeff Fisher indicated that it was largely ESPN's fault. The network still needed more television timeouts and apparently asked both coaching staffs to take timeouts late.

"Jack [Del Rio] used his timeouts," Fisher said after the game via Terry McCormick of Titans Insider. "My understanding is they needed network timeouts, and that's why Jack used his timeouts. They came over and asked me to do it, but I said, 'I was hoping to get a first down and kneel on it.'"

Didn't know stuff like this was going on, and it seems really odd on ESPN's part to be talking to coaches about timeouts on the field during a blowout.

I was just about to post this. Unfortunately, it's really par for the course for ESPN nowadays. I wish Time Warner carried the NFL network, so I can stop hearing about the same damn four teams every week.

The best former Pro Bowler in the booth is Steve Tasker, but that may be entirely because he is paired with Gus Johnson. Rich Gannon is actually really good from the games I've watched when he is commentating as well. Plus he enjoys ripping on the Raiders which is always nice.

I didn't hear it but Dan Berstein was predicting he'd say "We're 4-2. We're a good team. We got some issues but we'll correct them..." all in the monotone Lovie drawl.

I also imagine we will start getting "Mike Martz is our offensive coordinator" said in repetition like he did with Sexy Rexy. The media is already calling for Lovie to rein Martz in (seriously, 45 passes to 12 runs with your QB coming back from a concussion???)or even stip him playcalling duties and go with MIKE TICE!

Bernstein was essentially spot on. And the defense of the O-Line? "We've got a good group of guys. We're 4 and 2 aren't we?" (Paraphrasing). Lovie, you're 4 and 2 despite your O-Line, not because of it. You're an idiot.

At least Kurt Warner had the decency to hit the Dancing With The Stars circuit first, eh...?

I like Boomer Esiason a lot, actually (he was awful on MNF but he does really strong work on NBC and on ESPN radio).

Boomer on ESPN radio? He does the Monday night broadcasts for Westwood One I thought...and his show on WFAN in New York is a CBS station...

The best former Pro Bowler in the booth is Steve Tasker, but that may be entirely because he is paired with Gus Johnson. Rich Gannon is actually really good from the games I've watched when he is commentating as well. Plus he enjoys ripping on the Raiders which is always nice.

I was going to mention Gannon as well. He has done a really good job for the Packer games I have seen.

The Ex 49ers center whose name escapes me now used to drive me nuts. Also I really don't like Chris Collinsworth...at all.

I love Chris Collinsworth. He may not be particularly energetic, but he does an excellent job keeping the viewer informed of what's going on and analyzing the plays as they come. He also highlights the small things more obscure players do that might turn the game.

I love Chris Collinsworth. He may not be particularly energetic, but he does an excellent job keeping the viewer informed of what's going on and analyzing the plays as they come. He also highlights the small things more obscure players do that might turn the game.

Yeah Collinsworth is head and shoulders my favorite. He brings intelligence, good humor, amiability. One of the few guys who doesn't fall back on stupid football cliches like a crutch.

Aikman and Simms are easy to make fun of, but then your team plays someone awful and you get one of the dregs announcing crews and really it works; you miss the basic competence and understanding of the rhythms of the football game that the #1 crews provide. I think it's pretty funny that each network has an indepth ranking of their crews.Is there anything lower in the world than Chris Myers - the sideline reporter for the #7 crew? I'm not sure what a Spiro Dedes but apparently he announces for CBS.

Gus Johnson makes any game more exciting. His enthusiasm is infectious. There's no one you'd rather have a for a close game than him - beats the hell outta monotone Joe Buck. Can almost forgive him for lending his voice for those atrocious Buffalo Wild Wings commercials.

And I'll be honest, I kinda like Gruden. I like guys who are enthusiastic about football and bring personality. It's why I never minded Madden.

Gus Johnson makes my ears bleed and I'm not sure what is supposed to be so exciting about his ridiculous "look at me" calls either. Of course Buck is at the opposite end of the spectrum but equally as awful. The Tyree catch in the Super Bowl may be the single worst sports call in history. Dan Dierdorf is also a spectacular dummy. I actually like a lot of the lesser known announcers because they really don't stand out or annoy me in any way, they just call the game which is what I prefer. A couple times a year an announcer will actually say something insightful or relevant but 95% of it is useless prattle.

I don't get the Collinsworth love. I can't stand the guy as an announcer. After about half an hour of listening to him I want to wrap the tv in plastic to keep the stupid from leaking out. If he's doing a Packer game I will often consider simply turning the sound off on the TV and tuning into the radio broadcast which features announcers who can actually rub two brain cells together. I guess he's better than some, which honestly isn't saying much considering the rather low standers for NFL TV announcers.

Archived