Doctor Who: Season 32 thread

Werthead

This was a great episode. Simple concept wonderfully explored using minimalistic sets and just focussing on the three leads. Well, mostly the Ponds, really, since the Doctor was reduced to sitting in the TARDIS.

Great acting by Arthur Darvill and especially Karen Gillan. Older Amy did feel quite distinct from her younger self while still clearly being the same person.

This is the kind of episode the show needs more of, I can't even think of any obvious plot holes right now (so someone is going to mention at least half a dozen any second...).

well, one obvious plot hole is she doesn't ask which of the two buttons to press, she just presses a button. But other than that, I really enjoyed it!

That's not a plot hole, it's just her being an idiot.

I was gonna say that

Rory being less badass than Old Amy is a bit of a plot hole coz why is 2,000 year old him less competent than 50 year old her, but then I noticed that once he's worked them out, he knocks one of the robots out with his bare hands at the end. Rory is awesome.

I would say this was definatly one of the best Dr Who episodes ever.

I'm not so sure the younger audiance members would have got as much out of it as the adults this time (although they still would have enjoyed the episode).

The ending was powerful, even if you knew what would happen to old Amy. Yes there was moisture in my eyes.

Best episode so far this series. In fact, best Matt Smith episode so far. Probably the second best ever of New Who, after Blink (I reserve the right to revise this once I stop feeling emotional).

Interesting that the episodes you mentioned are the ones that do not have that much Doctor in them. I suppose minus all the gimmicky bits of your average DW ep, the best eps are always the ones that have an emotional punch and effective storytelling (read: not much plotholes that make you say "huh?" in the middle of watching it). Like this one. Anyway, love the acting in this episode. I knew that Arthur Darville can act, having seen him in Little Dorrit before. Karen Gillan, prior to this, I felt that she didn't have much to do as Amy. I'm glad they gave her something weighty this time around.

Good idea, great acting, two things spoiled it slightly. One, the hand-robots were awful. To the point where they were detracting from a decent story. Dumb concept, badly executed. Two, the director was inclined to lay on the emotional cues rather too thickly, even by Who standards. The acting was good enough: after all the heavy musical cues and dramatic pauses, it was in danger of becoming overwrought.

But the big test was the ending, and they didn't flunk it. It'll be interesting to see if there's some fallout...

well, one obvious plot hole is she doesn't ask which of the two buttons to press, she just presses a button.

I'd say that the plot hole there is that infected and healthy people walk up to the same room and then have to press the correct button themselves. I assume that they don't expect people to drop in right in the middle of the building via TARDIS, but still some kind of supervision prior to entering the quarantine zone would be warranted?

But the big test was the ending, and they didn't flunk it. It'll be interesting to see if there's some fallout...

Yes, I was afraid that older Amy would just conveniently die/decide to stay behind. The actual way it played out had a lot more emotional punch. I wonder how long Amy and Rory will stick around after what they've been through recently.

I too enjoyed this ep.

The only thing that annoyed me though was the plot device of "omg 'x' will kill me with no regeneration" which has already been used in 2 out of 3 episodes this half-season.

I suppose minus all the gimmicky bits of your average DW ep, the best eps are always the ones that have an emotional punch and effective storytelling (read: not much plotholes that make you say "huh?" in the middle of watching it).

I agree, I think one of the reasons this episode was a lot better than, for example, Let's Kill Hitler was because they did actually explore the emotions the characters would be feeling. LKH was fun to watch, but it was so fast-moving that it never spent any time exploring how traumatic the whole situation should be for Amy and Rory so it ended up feeling quite shallow, whereas this episode certainly didn't shy away from the impact the situation would have on future Amy. The episode could easily have ended up being quite weak since it had a contrived premise and bland incompetent monsters, but because it had well-done characterisation (helped by some great acting) it is one of the best Doctor Who episodes of the new era.

I wonder how long Amy and Rory will stick around after what they've been through recently.

If they end up going back to a normal life in Leadworth then they lose any chance of seeing their daughter again, so they do have a motivation to stay with the Doctor, although I suspect they may increasingly wish that they'd never gone away with him in the first place.

Archived