[BOOK SPOILERS] Changes from book to screen

Ran

Some comments from me.

Interesting pattern for the bodies. Whoever said it looked like an eye made a good point. I'm not sure what it means but I like it. I can't see those bodies becoming wights though. They looked completely torn asunder. Except for the girl. I wouldn't worry that the wight-making seem inefficient either. Lot more people below the wall. :) Good point also on the body pattern suggesting intelligence. Quick way to give that impression.

I've actually wondered how Gared got away in the books, never mind the TV series. All we know is that he was terrified witless, so he must have seen something really scary. Thus, I don't have any issue with what happens to Will in the TV series. The Others don't seem too concerned in the books about their existence been revealed. (They could not know for sure that Gared would be driven permanently mad).

The point about Ned not believing Will is an interesting thing. They clearly did it to explain who the White Walkers were. So forgivable. And also, one (half mad) report about the Others is barely any evidence. If there was a real threat Benjen would be warning him. So totally excusable that Ned wouldn't take it too seriously. And even if he believed Will, Will still deserted, so he had to die.

I imagine the "cold" thing will play a bigger part later. I think we could easily go through the whole of E1 and find another 10 minutes they could plug in to fill the story out. But not to be. Lets hope we get a 12 episode S2. :) So yes, while they could have spent more time on the prologue, i'd rather they spend time on the main story. After all, Will dies very quickly. We don't need a very nuanced character. Before we knew how this series would go, there was a lot of discussion about whether we'd even get a prologue!

It does sound like they have kept the pace up for the first few episodes. While it could lead to confusion, it shouldn't lead to boredom, which would be the worse crime. The audience has to be introduced to a lot of stuff!

I'm assuming that they are called the White Walkers because they walk on white. :P

I like how Catelyn is concerned about Bran. She was always a little irrational about him And yes, it seems that her talk with Ned about the execution was another way to explain the way up North.

No snow near Winterfell was an easy way to differentiate it from the Wall I suppose. And saves money. Not really important.

Reading around the web today, I seem to be somewhat in the minority in loving Michelle Fairley as Catelyn. Personally I think she looks better as Cat than Jennifer Ehle. That's taking nothing away from JE, she's more attractive but I think Michelle Fairley has a more severe look which is how I always pictured Cat.

My brother said he pictured Anne Hathaway as Catelyn....

Wow. Catelyn gets no breaks. :)

I think some people are predisposed against Catelyn. I can't see how you could reach much of a conclusion based on a 15 minute preview (where she appeared in 2 minutes (?) of footage).

I like the preview and love the feel and production values. The changes are all going to cause some pangs of regret because so much in the books was just perfect.

We got one of Waymar's little jabs--'Do the dead unman you?' I loved the whole parry back and forth between Gared and Will.

I would have preferred a very brief conflict between Waymar and the Other. He confronts, draws his sword makes a few swings and then his sword breaks on the others sword and his armor is ripped open. No choreography to speak of, minimal cgi or effects...

I have seen the following reasons for the Gared/ Will switch

- actor related issues (Will's look etc)

- establishing definite continuity to main character of prologue and the execution

those seem valid and reasonable...

BUT....

later on as Lord Mormont is planning the ranging in force we learn:

-Mormont is concerned because Rangers are deserting/ disappearing

-he sent Royce the greenhorn out w/ one of most experienced available Ranger-> disappeared

-finally sends Benjen out with a group of rangers -> disappear

Mormont is thinking it's just the wildings, what are they up to?

We the reader know a little more. We now can put together all the pieces that one of the most experienced men of the Night's Watch saw and experienced something that it so totally unhinged him that he was completely incoherent and a dead man walking. It helps us better appreciate how unprepared the NW are to go up against what they face.

I just can't help think that all these small subtle things that GRRM puts in the books are a BIG part of why they are so good.

I'm also not a big fan of Arya being an accomplished archer at the onset. I agree that it establishes her as a tomboy, but I would prefer it if Needle was her introduction to martial training. Also, in all her chapters in ACOK and ASOS we never once to my recollection see her using a bow and there are definitely times where it would have come in handy.

-

+1 Loved the addition of the scene showing the wall. Let's face it, it will get peoples attention and they didn't really 'spoil' anything. Sure we've seen it earlier than we do in the books but there's still more than enough mystery.

-1 Would have loved to see some sort of passage of time from their departure from the wall until their encounter with the Others.

+2 Reanimated child looked spot on.

-2 The Others were going to be a major creature design challenge but I don't feel they were very successful. Considering that we won't see them again for awhile hopefully that will give the production some time to rethink their approach.

+3 Forest looked pretty close to how I imagined it and the old almost glacier looking north side of the wall seemed very appropriate.

-3 Overall, I wish they could have made more time for the prologue and stayed closer to the source material.

+4 Interior grounds of Winterfell looked pretty good.

-4 Exterior of Winterfell needed a forest, wintertown, and farms. I have trouble believing this castle, but more than anything the land it's built on could support a dynasty capable of controlling the north.

+5 All performances seemed pretty good so far. Most characters look close enough to how I imagined.

-5 Winterfell and the surrounding area needs more forests. I have to say this change disappoints me more than anything I've seen so far except maybe the dothraki costumes. There are areas of the north where barren highlands looking environments are very appropriate but not Winterfell. Unfortunately they're going to be stuck with this for the rest of the series.

Nerdrage aside, I can't wait.

-2 The Others were going to be a major creature design challenge but I don't feel they were very successful. Considering that we won't see them again for awhile hopefully that will give the production some time to rethink their approach.

I agree 100%. I am grateful they didn't show too much. If the series survives long enough for the Others to become a significant threat, there will be greater budget available for creating them. And we will be glad they didn't show the fight between Ser Waymar and the Other in more detail. Because we'd have been locked in with whatever half-arsed sh** they'd been forced to shovel out there.

The Others don't reappear until the prologue of Season 3. Even then, in the books we only got snippets. But on the screen I don't think Chett pissing himself and fade to black is going to fly.

On Ned not believing Will: we don't know what Gared says or doesn't say in the books, really. Bran doesn't recall it in any detail, and Ned dismisses it as 'rambling' when he talks to Cat about it. But in the same conversation, when Ned talks about going North to deal with Mance, Cat alludes to the Others and Ned scoffs at the idea that such a thing might exist: he simply dismisses it out of hand. So, it's not really a radical change IMO to have him ignore Will's ramblings about the White Walkers in the same way. In both cases, it's done to show that the Others are thought of as extinct even by Ned and the possibility of their return isn't considered worthy of even a moment's serious consideration. The only real difference is that Ned explicitly hears it from Will, which is a more economical way of doing things.

Agree about the Others design. I didn't feel they were differentiated enough from the wights in what we saw to the extent that it was only my knowledge of the books that made me realise that it wasn't just another wight. I don't know if the uninitiated viewer will be able to work out what's going from that in the way we were from the books. Maybe that's intentional though.

Any complaints i have at this moment are being ignored because i just found out that Roy Doctrice is playing the Grand Maester

Sorry to disappoint but he's not. He was scheduled to but had to pull out due to health reasons. Julian Glover (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) is playing the venerable Pycelle.

Sorry to disappoint but he's not. He was scheduled to but had to pull out due to health reasons. Julian Glover (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) is playing the venerable Pycelle.

Stop pissing on my fire!

Couldn't you allow me just five minutes of happiness?

Archived