Looking for fun, thought-provoking epic fantasy with great writing...

kiniro

I'm looking for something that lies in between the epic adventure of The Lord of the Rings and the complex multi-layered storytelling and fantastic prose of The Book of the New Sun. A story that's not written as a fun throwaway story (as much as I love that sort of thing) and rewards re-readings and analysis. And it'd be nice if it's not a series of more than a few books. Perhaps I ask too much? :)

And yes, I've already read a couple of the books this forum is named after. :)

Edit;

R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing would be a very good thing to check out, as would China Mieville's Bas Lag books. They're not a true series, but Perdido Street Station, The Scar, and Iron Council are in the same world. Steven Erikson is both fun and thought provoking, but it's ten volumes or more. Daniel Abraham's The Long Price might be something to look into.

Lets see. Any threads like this around....

Quote from Layanna Stark, in a thread i book marked,

"Some of the more commonly recommended Fantasy series to try include (in no particular order):

The Prince of Nothing series by R Scott Bakker

Long Price Quartet series by Daniel Abraham

The Amber series by Roger Zelazny

The Gentlemen Bastard series featuring Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

Malaazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams

The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie

Standalones, people often recommend:

The Scar and Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (if you don't mind comic form, you may want to check out Gaiman's Sandman series as well )"

For "fun" i would recommend Abercrombie and Lynch from this list. Both are easy to read, but you'll find stuff you missed on each reread anyway. For a deeper read the Mieville books are very interesting.

Probably Prince of Nothing by Bakker is the closest to your criteria. Apart from, perhaps, "fun".

It's not epic fantasy but I think Nick Harkaway's The Gone-Away World fits your request.

Exactly this!

Prince of Nothing is not fun, but everything else on your list.

The Gone-Away World fits all your criteria, except it's not fantasy; more sci-fi-ish comedy horror...with ninjas...oh and kung fu fighting! :thumbsup:

I second Vance's Lyonesse, Mieville's The Scar.

Also it was mentioned in your Wolfe thread, but Wolfe's The Wizard Knight is a more straightforward and "fun" epic fantasy narrative than the New Sun books, while still being very much a Wolfe book in terms of language, technique, and message. It may well prove to be the last great heroic fantasy novel. (The BotNS, by the way, is not epic fantasy: it only reads that way.)

The "fun" part is tricky because it means different things to different people. The ideas in Bakker's PON can be engaging to think about, for instance, even if what happens to the characters often isn't "fun." It sounds like you're okay with that, so here are some other works to consider, trying to pick stand-alones although dipping into a few longer series:

- Catherynne Valente's Orphan's Tales duo

- Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster trilogy, and also many of her stand-alones (Atrix Wolfe, Od Magic, etc.)

- Peter Beagle's The Last Unicorn or The Innkeeper's Song

- J.M. McDermott's Last Dragon

- Michael Swanwick's The Dragons of Babel (or its precursor, Iron Dragon's Daughter--both stand alone just fine)

- Michael Cisco's The Traitor

- Greer Gilman's Moonwise and Cloud & Ashes.

- Patrick O'Leary's The Gift

- M. John Harrison's Viriconium books--far-future SF and not epic fantasy, but like Wolfe's BotNS it reads like fantasy

- Ditto Jeff VanderMeer's Veniss Underground

Your reading comprehension skills are insufficient for though provoking epic fantasy. You somehow managed to miss the three recommendation threads that are permanently at the top of this forum. Go back to Dragonlance.

I thought that sticky fantasy recommendation thread was for recommending your favorites, not for asking people to recommend something specific. Either way there's no reason to be a jerk about it.

I'm looking for something that lies in between the epic adventure of The Lord of the Rings and the complex multi-layered storytelling and fantastic prose of The Book of the New Sun. A story that's not written as a fun throwaway story (as much as I love that sort of thing) and rewards re-readings and analysis. And it'd be nice if it's not a series of more than a few books. Perhaps I ask too much?

Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet would be a good fit for those requirements. A different world than the usual Euro-medieval setting, complex characters that constantly evolve, 4 book series that is complete, and his prose is very very good.

Dragonlance

now now. we should at least recommend mr. stanek or ms. hill, first?

Hey I take offense to that. I'd rather read Dragonlance upside down in a water tank while goblins chewed on my testicles then 3 pages of Stanek.

Archived