[Book Spoilers] EP104 Discussion

Re Jon and Sam, and screen-Jon in general, I liked that scene of them scrubbing tables, talking about girls and whatever--it was a nice counter-point to amazingly badass Jon in the sword-fighting practice. It made it so clear to me, so poignant--these are BOYS. They may do great things down the line, they will surely grow and mature, but right now? They're boys...

about ghost, I am curious, is it specifically mentioned that he does not make any sounds at all period? Or is it more refering to his hunting ablities and how he walks, which is soundless? ie, you would never hear ghost coming till he is right in front of you? just curious on that.

anyways, I quite enjoyed this episode, a bit more expisotion in this one then the others but still done in a way that was fun and enjoyable.

In the book scene with Rast he was snarling silently...I don't believe he's ever been vocal in the books.

But really, it's not even a big deal to me that the show has it differently. I mean, he has M-Fing red eyes and white fur...what else could I ask for? :P

There needs to be more scenes that indicate a passing of time.

I was thinking this as well. It seems as if this is all happening at once. I just cannot figure what the best way for them to do this though, any ideas anyone?

I was thinking this as well. It seems as if this is all happening at once. I just cannot figure what the best way for them to do this though, any ideas anyone?

Somebody has to say something like 'its been two months now and you're still..' Like that.

Honestly I sort of like the way they introduced Ghost, meaning that they waited on introducing him until they could introduced him in a way that was really meanacing and in a way sort of super-sentient. He is by far the most intimidating of the direwolves and I think the scene kind of pulled off that contrast.

and now they're making THORNE somewhat sympathetic!!! <_<

I agree. If I am facing evil, I want courage at my back. My sympathy was with Thorne. Oh well, guess they wanted a way to show how really bad it can get and hopefully they will show Jon learning from that.

In the book scene with Rast he was snarling silently...I don't believe he's ever been vocal in the books.

But really, it's not even a big deal to me that the show has it differently. I mean, he has M-Fing red eyes and white fur...what else could I ask for? :P

Ah, I see, been a while since I read the books; and not yet there on my re-read. but yea, ghost is perfect, red eyes, white fur, quite perfect.

am I also glad they are showing the dreams,visons and prophecies. I think they are taking some time to build up to it but it is nice that they are now being shown.

This episode was full of fanboy goodness. We're left with a change of who gives a bit of exposition and a wolf growling too much to complain about. That's pretty impressive.

Jorah continues to way out play his book counterpart. The Mountain looked good (which is mostly all that matters for all he ever speaks). Tyrion continues to do proper justice to best character of the books. If, by some miracle, the series makes it to Season 4, I hope they correct Martin's insane decision and not split the story lines. It would stink to not have a season with Dany, Tyrion and Jon.

Hodor and Gentry were way too old though! Hodor was 18 in the book?!

Re Hodor, was probably mostly a case of not being able to find a young actor with the required physical traits, and nuanced ability to say "Hodor" with a million different meanings.

There's a lot more age to play with with Bob's bastards given Bob's a bit older in the shows than in the books.

:lol: Mr. X commented that Jorah would make a really bitchin' Obi-Wan.

Hah, I may not have said it here but I've been feeling the Obi-Wan vibe from Jorah since the first episode. And Theon kind of reminds me of Luke Skywalker for some reason... if Luke were more of a heartless puppy killing bastard.

Somebody has to say something like 'its been two months now and you're still..' Like that.

You mean like "she hasn't bled for 2 moons" from Episode 3? Pretty decent passage of time indicator there.

I agree. If I am facing evil, I want courage at my back. My sympathy was with Thorne. Oh well, guess they wanted a way to show how really bad it can get and hopefully they will show Jon learning from that.

Well, it gives us an idea on why Throne is such an amazing jackass. I can somewhat empathise with him. But he's ultimately wrong. Book Jon points out to Maester Aemon that they need more than rangers on the Wall. They also need stewards and builders. They need thinkers as well as swordsmen.

Ghost! I'm getting ready to watch it again on HBO Go, but was so thrilled to see him the first time around, I didn't notice--did we get a real dog/wolf?

And Ran, Lord and Master of All, can we have a snapping dog/wolf emoticon, I humbly beg? :bowdown:

My husband and I are lost at all this "Thorne is coming off too sympathetic" stuff! He was a total jerk and we abhor him. We were talking about how well the actor plays such a mean-spirited, vaguely cruel guy so well. If you all mean that scene about eating the horses and men, it seemed pretty clear it was just to scare the crap out of them and make them feel stupid and useless.

And I agree with the comment regarding pronunciation of Gendry's name. I always said it with a soft G, but I got used to all the other names I'd been pronouncing incorrectly for years so I guess I'll get used to this one...

Archived