News of the World shuts down

Zoë Sumra

The NOTW scandal was discussed in the last UK Politics thread, last post being by Daeric, reporting the NOTW's shutdown.

Yep, it's gone:

News International announced on Thursday that it is closing the News of the World after this Sunday's edition, with no end in sight to the political and commercial fallout from the phone-hacking scandal after 72 hours of mounting crisis.

Sunday's edition of the paper will be the last, News International chairman James Murdoch told News of the World staff on Thursday afternoon.

Murdoch told employees at the 168-year old title: "The News of the World is in the business of holding others to account. But it failed to when it came to itself".

Murdoch said in a statement: "Wrongdoers turned a good newsroom bad and this was not fully understood or adequately pursued."

Murdoch also conceded the company had "made statements to parliament without being in full possession of the facts. This was wrong".

He said "the News of the World and News International wrongly maintained that these issues were confined to one reporter" but that was untrue, and that the company had passed information to the police which would demonstrate this.

"Those who acted wrongly will have to face the consequences," he said.

Sure, an attempt by News International to salvage the situation to the extent of having the BSkyB deal go through as planned. It'll probably be enough...

I genuinely never thought they would go that far tbh or be forced to.

N

Aye, all I was expecting was a few top people getting slapped with fines/jail time and loosing their job. Not everyone getting the axe.

Daily Telegraph

8.08 Damian Thompson, our blogs editor, writes that Rebekah Brooks is a "human shield" for her boss, James Murdoch:

It may look as if the closure of the News of the World is all about saving the skin of Rebekah Brooks, chief executive of News International. Not so, as Ms Brooks will be uncomfortably aware. She has one main responsibility now, and it’s not an enviable one: to act as a human shield for James Murdoch, chairman of NI and News Corporation’s chief executive for Europe and Asia.

James Murdoch is in charge of the acquisition of BSkyB by News Corp; his purpose in life is to succeed his father as head of the the gigantic News Corp media empire. As Roy Greenslade notes, he has been “sheltered from the storm” over the phone hacking scandal. There have been attempts to shelter Brooks, too – but they weren’t paying off, particularly after Simon Greenberg’s epically inept attempts to defend her on Channel 4 News.

The destruction of the News of the World “saves” Brooks to take the flak that would otherwise have been tearing into James Murdoch; indeed, it enables the latter to act – no doubt on instructions from America – as the clean-up merchant.

I like this from Two Jags Prescott:

8.04 Lord Prescott: "Typical management movement from Murdoch. All the workers lose their jobs while the people in charge keep theirs."

The NOTW scandal was discussed in the last UK Politics thread, last post being by Daeric, reporting the NOTW's shutdown.

Yep, it's gone:

So what was wrong with UK Politics X? Too staid and tradition for your artisitic temperament?;)

Not enough. Burn Murdoch's rotten house to the ground. All of it.

Hey, you're closest!

I genuinely never thought they would go that far tbh or be forced to.

N

Aye, all I was expecting was a few top people getting slapped with fines/jail time and loosing their job. Not everyone getting the axe.

Yeah it's incredible, a real Check and Mate reaction. Others pretend to clean their Augean stables, but not the Murdochs they prefer something more dramatic like blowing up part of it and splattering the lot of us with their shit.

Now lets watch them play at being Mr Clean and hear how they've taken swift and decisive action or some such. At least on the plus side since Murdoch senior is a US citizen he won't get madea Lord

Not enough. Burn Murdoch's rotten house to the ground. All of it.

That would be lovely.

What will probably happen is quietly in the next year is a new paper will be started to replace this one. Or Murdoch will just buy up another one on his quest to own most of the world's media.

So what was wrong with UK Politics X? Too staid and tradition for your artisitic temperament?;)

Now lets watch them play at being Mr Clean and hear how they've taken swift and decisive action or some such. At least on the plus side since Murdoch senior is a US citizen he won't get madea Lord

I'm not complaining about my name being a reason for a new topic starter :P

The Sun is still running, how can he be considered clean!

Is it just me or does this seem a weird, almost exagerated over reaction. Declaration of interest, I really enjoy "The Sunday Times", and get it every week. Clearly, the hacking of voicemail \ interference with an ongoing investigation (and I would regard deleting messages during an investigation as interference) but presumably this practice has stopped? What does Murdoch think he will gain from this? I can't believe its just the advertising issue. Is it to do with bskyb? It just feels fishy to me.

I can't believe its just the advertising issue. Is it to do with bskyb?

Yes, basically - they're attempting to prove to Ofcom that they're still a fit and proper owner. I doubt it will be enough without at least one senior sacking - presumably the only reason Brooks is still there is to take as much blame as possible so it can be only one.

The Sun is still running, how can he be considered clean!

Damn shame it's not The Scum that's taking the bullet for the Murdochs, The News of the World has always been shit but it's not quite that bad.

That would be lovely.

What will probably happen is quietly in the next year is a new paper will be started to replace this one. Or Murdoch will just buy up another one on his quest to own most of the world's media.

A year? What is this strange unit of time? The Murdochs are going to wait one week and then start the Sunday Sun.

Is it just me or does this seem a weird, almost exagerated over reaction. Declaration of interest, I really enjoy "The Sunday Times", and get it every week. Clearly, the hacking of voicemail \ interference with an ongoing investigation (and I would regard deleting messages during an investigation as interference) but presumably this practice has stopped? What does Murdoch think he will gain from this? I can't believe its just the advertising issue. Is it to do with bskyb? It just feels fishy to me.

It's more than just phone hacking. It's claiming that the phone hacking was over when it wasn't, claiming that it was limited to 'one rogue reporter' when it was widespread and allegedly endorsed by the management, it's the extent of the hacking with many hundreds of victims, it's the eventual admission of bribing police officers for information (and not once or twice but apparently as a matter of general practice) and then there's the whole BSkyB business going on with something like a thousand written objections to the merger from the public.

Potentially it's very big and involves a lot of major political figures who have been cosy with the Murdochs even when the allegations were first bubbling out.

Damn shame it's not The Scum that's taking the bullet for the Murdochs, The News of the World has always been shit but it's not quite that bad.

talk is the sun will now run for 7 days, this keeps getting worse. but sunday morning tits, so not all bad!

:lol: Felt this deserved its own thread, given the way it's grown. Who knows what'll happen next...

Is it just me or does this seem a weird, almost exagerated over reaction.

Partly I agree with Maltaran: the Murdoch empire needs to do something to dissociate the BSkyB bid from this mess, and this would be it. However, the fact that the NOTW brand is rapidly becoming toxic to consumers and hence advertisers might have had an effect even without the BSkyB situation.

to be shallow for one moment, I'm kind of wondering what's gonna be the headline in their last ever eddition?

Are they gonna try and top Bus Found on Moon? maybe as an attempt to make people stop talking about phone hacking when mentioning NotW?

or will they just go for a record tit count?

*nods* You could well be right.

Just been rewatching the James Murdoch interview on the BBC news channel. He blinked twice during his first two lengthy responses to interview questions. This led MCGeek and me to propose James Murdoch versus Weeping Angel...

Archived