Chicon 7 Aug. 30-sept. 4 2012

Mentat and I are crossing our fingers since we only just filled it in and we fly tomorrow morning

Good news - we got approved. Phew.

I'm going to try and get a US SIM when we arrive tomorrow (should get to the hotel about 4pm) so will have a new phone number to circulate - but will also check email. Hope to get organised and read the programme and will then know availability for helping out.

Sophie

I just checked in to the Hyatt, my room is in the West Tower, 8th floor. Very nice hotel. I think this con is going to be epic. Can't wait to get it started now!

Soph - I suspect you have been had. The ESTA itself does not cost anything but there are several unscrupulous companies around taking advantage of the fact that the US government website for ESTA is not particularly clear or well signposted. You probably paid money for a "guide" which essentially is a fancy PDF telling you all about it and a link to the ESTA website which if you knew about it you could have gone straight to and paid nothing for it. They prey on travellers fears of being denied entry to the US when they land and being sent back home to make you fork out money for the guide. A rather sucky situation that could have been easily avoided if the information was provided in a much better way.

The ESTA does now cost something ($14) but any previous authorisations are still valid for two years from the date of issue. Be careful because almost all ESTAs that were issued for free will now be invalid as the fee was introduced in September 2010. Mine was out by a handful of days, as I re-applied just before the fee was introduced, so I had to pay this time. Sophie's link is legitimate and not one of the (many) scam sites.

Remember, too, that the US Visa Waiver caters for both tourist and business visitors. Immigration officials who think you are on a business trip will ask for documentation to support this. I once went on what I considered to be purely a leisure trip but they determined it was also a business trip after I explained exactly what I was doing: happily, I had the necessary documentation for the event I was attending to hand, but things could have been awkward had I not.

Mentat and I have arrived at the con hotel in Chicago. No sim card yet - we're pretty exhausted - not by the flight, which was pretty pleasant (British Airways FTW), but by getting through Chicago airport. From landing to catching the CTA train took over two hours. Just getting through security (even with the ESTA waiver) took over an hour of queuing. Ugh. Then fingerprints and thumbprints, retina scans, probing chit-chat...

So we're tired, and just trying to stay awake a little longer to get onto US time. We knew we'd have to pay for internet, and grudgingly have done so because we are addicted geeks (and want to be able to read the board!). It works OK but it's not brilliant - fails to load pages here and there (maybe because we're both on it). Just so you know. We're on 27th floor in quiet tower btw.

Will catch up tomorrow,

Sophie

Yippee!! I just shipped off a box of goodies for the party. I am so excited I can barely contain myself! Seriously, where is the :running in circles like a little kid: emoticon? Two more days! 48 hours from now I will be on my way to the airport. WooHoo!

I've decided to keep my UK phone contact too - even if it costs an arm and a leg (will use for urgent comms only). Email/PM is the cheapest way to stay in touch but I will send/receive text messages on my usual number (PM me if you need it).

Our room number in the hotel is 2775 so that's another way to get in touch with us when we're in.

Sophie

We went to the Art Institute of Chicago today (good for French impressionists especially, but various unexpected great stuff scattered among less remarkable things). Now museumed out and resting. We got a City Pass so we will be looking to go to the Field museum with Aly and co. and the Shedd Aquarium too (anyone else interested in that?) as well as planned expedition to Museum of Science and Industry.

Sophie & Mentat - I am here too. We should meet up for dinner tonight.

That would be nice. Will PM you in a sec and text you later if I don't hear from you :-)

It seems like there are some participants missing on the iPhone app. I couldn't find George or Daniel Abraham by the participants list. Unfortunately there is no search function that I can find. :-(

Archived