Occupy Wall Street - Winter is Coming Edition

Relic

In case it isn't obvious from my previous posts, I think that a system that operates purely on the basis of public opinion would be a very bad system and very dangerous to personal liberties (that's before getting into how completely unworkable it would be in a modern Nation State of any size).

How is it legal that there is a group that is so utterly pretentious it calls itself "Americans for Prosperity?"

Yeah, that First Amendment thing is really a pain in the ass, isn't it?

So you get your news from the Daily Caller and you complain of our "liberal" bias?

Huh? First, I get my news from lots of different sources. This may have been the first time I've ever seen the Daily Caller website at all -- I just followed links. Feel free to consider the video a hoax is you think they just hired people and staged all that, though. Second, please identify where I've "complained" of your liberal bias. I have noted that this forum leans left, but it's hardly a complaint since I'm here voluntarily. I've also noted that plenty of other places lean "conservative".

Like a Mormon complaining that a co-worker has a drinking problem.

That's a rather novel religious-based insult that doesn't even make sense. Care to try "greedy jews" or some more conventional religious insult so at least your intent is clear?

Oh and in case you couldn't hear it in the videos you posted once more "Fuck the Daily Caller" gotta love the sensationalist headlines following in the grand tradition of Yellow Journalism. I never thought I would say this but they really do make Fox News look fair and balanced in comparison.

All tha verbiage, and you manage to avoid commented on the actual video showing physical intimidation and obstruction of access by Occupy D.C..

A government "by the people" exists to serve the people's will. I would argue that the public's desires are the basis for power, and that obstinately clinging to obsolete legislation is the true usurpation.

Yeah, that freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, no unreasonable search and seizure, and habeas corpus are just really bitches, aren't they?

AP,

I think chances are likely that if you paid to go to an Americans for Prosperity dinner, you're probably a piece of shit.

I don't know that i'd like or agree with the "Americans for Prosperity" either. Nevertheless, they share the right to assemble and speak unmolested as long as they are doing so peaceably.

AP,

I don't know that i'd like or agree with the "Americans for Prosperity" either. Nevertheless, they share the right to assemble and speak unmolested as long as they are doing so peaceably.

No doubt. Were they molested, though? Or were people just yelling nearby them? Is that what passes for molestation these days? Being yelled at?

No doubt. Were they molested, though? Or were people just yelling nearby them? Is that what passes for molestation these days? Being yelled at?

AP,

I thought they were blocking entrances and then exits? That's more than just yelling.

Watch the video and draw your own conclusion. The first part is them obstructing a guy from driving on his way home, and the next part is when people are trying to get out of the building.

That's a rather novel religious-based insult that doesn't even make sense. Care to try "greedy jews" or some more conventional religious insult so at least your intent is clear?

Not particularly but since you are being deliberately obtuse I'll give it my best shot Mormons aren't supposed to drink so for an orthodox Mormon to complain that others suffer from alcoholism is a laughable position to take. That is your position when you complain of someone's Liberal Bias compared to you everyone is a Far Left Liberal

Also I love how your defense when you post a questionable sensationalist site is "hey I just post the links"

This is also like the 6th time you have used the phrase "greedy jews" as if it somehow proves your point its getting a little old. I personally have never found it advantageous to have preconceived notions of someone based on Religious beliefs. Are you doing this on purpose or are you dragging out that chestnut from two weeks ago that all OWS supporters are somehow anti-Israel?

I would request that we have a rule on these threads that all of us can only post one link per day. After awhile it doesn't say "Hey look at this article I found" it says "I'm incapable of forming my own opinions and would rather someone else do it for me"

Watch the video and draw your own conclusion. The first part is them obstructing a guy from driving on his way home, and the next part is when people are trying to get out of the building.

You are absolutely correct here... This got out of hand and should not have happened. It would have been perfectly acceptable to picket or protest the American for Prosperity rally, but when they started blocking entrances and exits and as a result of that injuries occurred, then the fault was on their hands.

See FLoW... When video evidence is shown to me, I tend not to discard it because I didn't get to see the video from the time the people were given birth. It is obvious to anyone who look to see that there has been several cases of Police misconduct against the OWS movement, Your arguments against it are clearly guided by your dislike of the movement.

I like that you mention the Occupy DC incident without talking about the car that hit 3 people there.

Why would he? Its not in his "self interest".

I'm going back to my original plan of ignoring the right wingers. Let them bitch and moan, shake their wrinkled fists at the hooligans and hippies fucking up their precious status quo. These threads have been a waste of fucking time.

Scot, Surely you dont mean to say black hitler delivered your pizza in his pjs?

If i wanted to endlessly submit myself to the entrenched small minded opinions of the right (yawn) id watch fox snooze. Nothing further to be gained "debating" this topic with people dead set on opposing it. Better to focus energies in other directions.

Why would I be joking? Are you seriously claiming that the OWS protesters don't have a bias?? If there is an incident between the police and protesters, it is in the interest of the police to tell a version of events that make themselves look good, and the protesters look bad. And the exact same same thing applies to protestors. They have an an incentive to maximize any police wrongdoing because it supports their message. If they weren't self-interested, and didn't have a bias, they wouldn't be out there protesting at all.

One thing that does intrigue me a bit is that the protestors seem very conscious of the police, and cell phone cameras pop out to record every confrontation. So how come nobody has posted any video of this guy standing there, with arms crossed, doing nothing wrong, and then suddenly being beated by police batons?

As prevalent as phone cameras are at these things, it seems unlikely that every dude who is standing around with their arms crosses doing nothing is being filmed 100% of the time.

Why would someone film that?

I can't find the link right now, but 600,000 credit union accounts were opened during all of last year.

Correlation/causation? What's a more likely explanation? That so many people went through the massive inconveniece of moving their bank accounts out of solidarity with OWS, or because Dodd/Frank led megabanks to raise monthly fees? Even if there is some from A, I have to believe that B is the overwhelming impetus.

So there's a rich vein of irony if you're claiming that OWS, which is supposedly about getting government to more heavily regulate financial institutions, is responsible for people dumping megabanks when the more common reason for the move is government changing the rules for the banks.

Shryke,

Yes. Usurpation of power is usurpation of power even when the population is cheering on the usurpation.

Just remember Scot that supreme executive power derrives from a mandate from the masses...

Except just last page you and FLOW were bringing up the intent of the "Framers".

If the US constitution is not Holy Writ, who the fuck cares what the Framers thought.

Surely intent of the Framers can inform intepretation of the Constitution. Even legal language isn't always precise.

According to statistics, there are 3000 Over doses per month in the United States. That means that 1 person in 5000 in our population have this occur in a year. It seems to me that there are far less problems with this in the Occupy movement. I can't find an accurate count of how many people are protesting, but I know it is in the tens of thousands, and so far we have reports of 2 ODs... This is just another way that conservatives are trying to discredit the movement. The facts speak for themselves...

So if there's one person in five thousand that overdoses in a year, that's roughly 1 in 60,000 per month. Assuming OWS et al have been at a for a month with 10s of thousands of people (let's call it 30k as a weighted average), then 2 ODs is well above the average. Small sample size and all, but your own math seems to demolish your own point.

Archived