Penn State & Syracuse Scandals

Greywolf2375

It would be hard to find jurors who haven't heard of the case and are completely unbiased (although I think any trial for child molestation charges is not going to find unbiased jurors) - but in a different county they can avoid jurors who were employees of the school or personal acquaintances of people involved in the case.

If a jury selection is complete, can a trial still be relocated? I thought that has to come before jury-selection?

RIL,

You do know that no less than 16 people have come forward and said that they were molested by Sandusky don't you? You do know that there is eye witness testimony that he ass raped a 10 year old right? Are you telling me that if a jury of Sandusky's personal friends doesn't come back with a guilty verdict that you would believe that he was innocent?

In this case, it's like the Flying Spaghetti Monster of innocence, principle ad absurdum.

Somewhat related story:

Texas father kills man trying to sexually assault daughter, police say

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/11/texas-father-kills-man-trying-to-sexually-assault-daughter-police-say/#ixzz1xcFaMe1i

That poor little girl. Can't say I don't support the father, and if he were charged (and he won't be), you'd never, ever get a conviction.

Hmm... there's a lot of unknown in the case here. No reported eyewitnesses, for one, except for the 4-year old girl. Her testimony wil be very difficult to evaluate since she's so young, and since it's her father being accused. I suppose if everyone is telling the truth, then yeah, it'd be unlikely that the father will be convicted (he should still be charged, though, imo, because he did kill someone even if he didn't mean to).

Somewhat related story:

Texas father kills man trying to sexually assault daughter, police say

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz1xcFaMe1i

That poor little girl. Can't say I don't support the father, and if he were charged (and he won't be), you'd never, ever get a conviction.

That is what McQueary should have done to Sandusky to begin with, and we wouldn't have had all of this cover up crap.

I'm starting to think this guy's lawyer isn't very sharp.

There's a tendency to think that any lawyer we hear about representing a public figure of some kind must be sharp. But sometimes, the defendant just hires some ass clown because he's cheap, or because the guy told him what he wants to hear.

IIRC Mike Tyson's lawyer specialized in real estate law and had never handled a criminal trial before.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know that I agree entirely there. It's no doubt traumatic for the victims to come forward and make the accusations. I can only imagine the mental anguish it costs. At the same time, I think it's a tremendous service to all child abuse victims to see that these predators can be caught and brought to justice, even when they are next to god in status in their community. This trial shows that that there's a place and time to lay their crimes out for all to see. I think that's a good thing, over all.

People who'd look down on these victims are in their own category of defective humans, and we should not worry about their views. Anyone with anything other than compassion for these victims' traumatic experience or admiration for their courage to step forward should simply be ignored, imo.

Another accuser came forward yesterday, so if he/the state wants to go forward with charges does the outcome of this trial have any impact on whether they can or not?

People who'd look down on these victims are in their own category of defective humans, and we should not worry about their views. Anyone with anything other than compassion for these victims' traumatic experience or admiration for their courage to step forward should simply be ignored, imo.

Yeah, part of the reason victim's fear coming out is the way people act towards them. Especially if you're a guy abused by another male.

One of my friends, in our senior of college and editor for one of our uni's papers, published the story of how he was raped by his coach [as an adolescent]. How the complex feelings of shame kept him silent for so long.

It was heart wrenching, and I never even suspected.

I don't know that I agree entirely there. It's no doubt traumatic for the victims to come forward and make the accusations. I can only imagine the mental anguish it costs. At the same time, I think it's a tremendous service to all child abuse victims to see that these predators can be caught and brought to justice, even when they are next to god in status in their community. This trial shows that that there's a place and time to lay their crimes out for all to see. I think that's a good thing, over all.

I don't think that Reilly was saying there should be anything in the system saving the victims from having to testify, but that the fault lies entirely with Sandusky for not only abusing them the first time, but then dragging out a situation where they had to recount the abuse instead of him pleading guilty - which would also have the outcome of having him brought to justice. The grand jury findings were already publicly available where his crimes were laid out.

It looks like 2 of the acquittals involve Victim 2, and the apparently questionable testimony of McQueary about what actually happened in that shower room.

Yeah, I had heard that earlier the juror had some questions regarding those charges. The victim of the McQueary allegation and the one janitor witnessed have never been idenitified.

This mess isn't over. Lot of people think the Feds will now go after Penn State and Second Mile for the cover-up.

I am pleasantly surprised that the jury rendered this strong of a verdict. Bravo.

Apparently the combined length of sentence is something like 400+ years. Nice. The Judge will give out the sentence within the next 60 (iirc?) days, and Sandusky needs to be matched with a prison that can keep him out of general population for his own protection.

My suspicion is that Sandusky will likely commit suicide at some point. I hope he doesn't succeed, for many reasons, the least of which is that I would like to see him serve out the justice handed to him by his community and peers.

Archived