Penn State & Syracuse Scandals

Greywolf2375

I doubt that he will. He doesn't think he did anything wrong. He'll just spend the rest of his life getting off on memories.

Oh no, I didn't mean that he's going to commit suicide out of a sense of guilt. Sorry about the confusion. Rather, I think he'd see his prison sentence as unbearable and try to take the easy way out.

PS Forgot to comment, too, that I think it was brilliant that the prosecutor had a pocket ace, in the form of Sandusky's adopted son, ready to come out to testify in case Sandusky takes the stand. Either they had planned for it, in which case it's brilliance on the prosecution's part, or it was just a cosmic coincidence, in which case it's brilliance on the universe's part.

Oh no, I didn't mean that he's going to commit suicide out of a sense of guilt. Sorry about the confusion. Rather, I think he'd see his prison sentence as unbearable and try to take the easy way out.

Eh, I'd let him. Not worth the waste of money.

PS Forgot to comment, too, that I think it was brilliant that the prosecutor had a pocket ace, in the form of Sandusky's adopted son, ready to come out to testify in case Sandusky takes the stand. Either they had planned for it, in which case it's brilliance on the prosecution's part, or it was just a cosmic coincidence, in which case it's brilliance on the universe's part.

Agreed.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like some of the Penn State officials knew more about what happened and decided to handle it internally rather report it to the police.

Disturbing e-mails could spell more trouble for Penn State officials

The messages indicate former Penn State President Graham Spanier and two other former university officials knew they had a problem with Sandusky after a 2001 shower incident, but apparently first decided to handle it using a "humane" approach before contacting outside authorities whose job it is to investigate suspected abuse.

"This is a more humane and upfront way to handle this,' Gary Schultz, who was a university vice president at the time, allegedly wrote.

The athletic director apparently preferred to keep the situation an internal affair and talk things over with Sandusky instead of notifying the state's child welfare agency.

"I am having trouble with going to everyone, but the person involved," Curley allegedly continues.

Curley writes he'd be "more comfortable" meeting with Sandusky himself and telling him they know about the 2001 incident and, according to a source with knowledge of the case, he refers to another shower incident with a boy in 1998 that was investigated by police but never resulted in charges against Sandusky.

Curley purportedly writes to Spanier, saying he wants to meet with Sandusky, tell him there's "a problem," and that "we want to assist the individual to get professional help."

In the same purported e-mail provided to CNN, Curley goes on to suggest that if Sandusky "is cooperative," Penn State "would work with him" to tell Second Mile. If not, Curley states, the university will inform both Second Mile and outside authorities.

The NCAA could hit the school with sanctions if they can prove that the school's officials covered up what Sandusky did.

The NCAA could hit the school with sanctions if they can prove that the school's officials covered up what Sandusky did.

From the report I heard this morning, JoePa was the one that made the decision on what was going to happen with this situation; if that is so it is almost certain the program will get the death penalty and that the school will be liable for possibly several hundred million dollars in reparations.

From the report I heard this morning, JoePa was the one that made the decision on what was going to happen with this situation; if that is so it is almost certain the program will get the death penalty and that the school will be liable for possibly several hundred million dollars in reparations.

It's a little unreal the lengths of which this story continues to grow. It's a hyrda that doesn't require the loss of one limb for two more to grow...it just does. That a football coach stood as the most powerful man in a state of the Union is staggering in its implications. It seems unlikely that Penn State will be playing football this season.

Dan Wetzel this past weekend...

I wonder if they might fall upon their own sword before the NCAA does anything hoping that it will be enough. If they were smart they should reduce their scholarships, TV money, and no bowl games for a couple years. If Penn State does nothing, the NCAA might go SMU on them.

I wonder if they might fall upon their own sword before the NCAA does anything hoping that it will be enough. If they were smart they should reduce their scholarships, TV money, and no bowl games for a couple years. If Penn State does nothing, the NCAA might go SMU on them.

smu was cheating the financial and recruitment rules of the ncaa. penn state was harboring and covering for a child rapist.

the cynic in me is confident penn state will get the lighter penalty.

The best part of this whole thing is that he was found not guilty on 3 of the 48 accounts. I wonder how that went. Yes we believe he fondled that little boy in the shower, and in the bedroom, but in the car? No way!

The best part of this whole thing is that he was found not guilty on 3 of the 48 accounts. I wonder how that went. Yes we believe he fondled that little boy in the shower, and in the bedroom, but in the car? No way!

I think the three where he was acquitted were from the two cases where the victims are still unknown. In one case, the story McQuery told the grand jury isn't the same as the one he told in court - in the second telling, he describes seeing something much more explicit (he was under oath both times). In the other case, the direct witness was incapacitated and the jury heard a second-hand account from the witness' supervisor.

I think the three where he was acquitted were from the two cases where the victims are still unknown. In one case, the story McQuery told the grand jury isn't the same as the one he told in court - in the second telling, he describes seeing something much more explicit (he was under oath both times). In the other case, the direct witness was incapacitated and the jury heard a second-hand account from the witness' supervisor.

That is fitting. Not only is McQuery such a scumbag that he allows Sandusky to cover up his child fucking, but he can't even get his testimony correct when all of the cards are left on the table. I can't believe that are laws are set up in a way that he is not going to suffer a long incarceration. .

In a just world psu would lose their rights to football in perpetuity and joepa would be forever known as the coach who valued his program over children's innocence and health.

Won't happen. But I'll think happy thoughts about a place it could.

smu was cheating the financial and recruitment rules of the ncaa. penn state was harboring and covering for a child rapist.

the cynic in me is confident penn state will get the lighter penalty.

SMU got hammered because they continued too cheat and they were small enough to destroy without pissing off anybody important. There were a lot of schools doing the same thing SMU was doing and the NCAA made an example of SMU.

Crimes being covered up by schools has been a big problem for years. The NCAA could drop the Death penalty on them to show that the cover up will hurt them a lot more than if they had reported what happened with Sandusky when he was an assistant (if they would have been punished by the NCAA at all). In this case, the prominence of Penn State will hurt them because everybody knows about the sexual abuse scandal.I think NCAA will have to do something. I can also see Penn State self-imposing penalties as more is known about what they knew, when they knew it, and what they did comes out.

Looks like some of the Penn State officials knew more about what happened and decided to handle it internally rather report it to the police.

Disturbing e-mails could spell more trouble for Penn State officials

Ah, the Catholic Church approach. Priority #1: Protect the institution. Priority #26745: Protect Deal with the victims rapees.

In a just world psu would lose their rights to football in perpetuity and joepa would be forever known as the coach who valued his program over children's innocence and health.

Won't happen. But I'll think happy thoughts about a place it could.

Jail time for all university officials involved, a plaque over Paterno's grave letting people just what a great molester-enabler he was, nuke the Penn State football program from orbit, and a punch in the throat for any Joe Paterno devotees who continue to defend his legacy.

To make things worse, I am pretty sure Pennsylvania authorities waited until after Paterno got his record-setting victory number before lowering the boom. This whole thing is a terrible shit-show of cowardly people doing vile things for venal reasons.

Ah, the Catholic Church approach. Priority #1: Protect the institution. Priority #26745: Protect Deal with the victims rapees.

That's the Every Institution That Has Ever Existed approach -- institutions are more important than individuals.

• 2 weeks later...

If there were any lingering questions whether Penn State should play football any time in the near future, that the top officials must be punished to the fullest extent of the law or that Joe Paterno wasn't completely culpable in leading a cover up of this magnitutde in serving his own self interestes, well the Freeh Report is out...

If the people at Penn State were smart the would self impose some penalties right away. I know people will complain that it would hurt the athletes there now (who were not part of anything that happened), but NCAA will hurt them because they do not want schools covering up crimes of this magnitude.

If the people at Penn State were smart the would self impose some penalties right away. I know people will complain that it would hurt the athletes there now (who were not part of anything that happened), but NCAA will hurt them because they do not want schools covering up crimes of this magnitude.

I don't see how the NCAA can't impose a lot of very harsh penalties to the football program...hopefully the Big Ten will do something today still...but the NCAA's habit of waiting for legal proceedures to take their course first before acting is an issue...

As for Penn State themselves, if they truly wanted to do something on their own and show that they're taking this as seriously as they could, well the Paterno statue and name would be removed from campus yesterday among other things...I've also heard some radio guys suggest that the entire hall where the crimes happened should be razed to the ground.

I don't see how the NCAA can't impose a lot of very harsh penalties to the football program...hopefully the Big Ten will do something today still...but the NCAA's habit of waiting for legal proceedures to take their course first before acting is an issue...

Are you saying it's an issue like it's a bad thing? I think Penn St should get the death penalty and be responsible for continuing to pay athletic scholarships to transfers, but since the NCAA isn't a legal authority, it makes sense to me that they would wait for the conclusion of legal procedures since legal action would always take priority.

Archived