(Book Spoilers) Jojen and Meera Reid in Season 2

The Warg

I hope the Reeds are just being pushed to S3, and it makes a lot of sense logistically.

1. Scheduling is always uncertain, and it's a lot more difficult if you need two actors for three weeks, followed by a four month break, than another six consecutive months of filming.

2. Given the youth of the actors, it's tough to explain why they look so different when only a short amount of time lapses from the end of S2 to the beginning of S3. This is true of the Stark children, too (Sansa in particular looks to have aged a year between episode 1 and episode 4, and it's going to be damned hard to pass Arya off as a boy once she has boobs), but it's different because they get so much screen time that we're familiar with them.

That said, while some of the Reeds can be passed to Osha, the most important thing about them is they're a living link to Howland Reed and Lyanna. Since the entire Tower of Joy flashback was cut, I wonder if there is an even bigger structural change at play here. I hope that's not the case, but I think the producers have earned enough credibility to trust they know what's best for the medium. Things have to be changed in the adaptation, and I'm willing to keep an open mind.

If the Reeds are not important from now on, in the TWOW, then it would be OK if they took them out. I like a lot Meera, but things have tu be cut (although I hope for more important role for her in the books). But Ramsay Bolton MUST be included somehow!!!

Well, the problem is, how will Jojen teach all he is supposed to teach Bran now? Alright, I assume most of it can be transferred to season 3, but how will they even meet the Reed kids

after leaving Winterfell? Will those two arrive after it was burned and only then follow Bran north and teach him along the way?

And what about Ramsay? He is important now, after all...

(used the spoiler tags because I'm not really sure what is or isn't considered a spoiler in this part of the forums)

Just read this over at Making Game of Thrones.

The last scene shot of the whole series is one with Bran, Hodor, Rickon and Osha

Does this mean we wont be seeing the Reids in season 2? I always felt they become very integral characters in Brans story-line, especially near the end of, and after a CoK.

Anyone else feel their absence will affect the story in season 2?

Oh and hi! Long time reader, first time poster! :-)

I'm not sure about this. you have to understand that when they film tv or movies they don't always film the scenes in order. That may have been the last shot, but it doesn't really mean it will be the last scene of season 2.

I really hope the Reeds are in season 2. I read in the casting forum that Osha may be taking on the duties of Meera and Jojen in her expanded role. But I am very curious to see how this develops. (if true)

I think something oft forgotten in these discussions re: the Reeds is that there isn't a single mention of Howland, the Reeds, or the crannogmen in season 1. In the books, HR is introduced via Ned's internal monologue and flashbacks/dreams. The (astute) reader knows that he has some hidden knowledge of a recent history that is alluded to but left tantializingly vague by GRRM. So when his kids come on the scene, we a) are reminded of these mysterious reminiscences of Ned's in the first book and are therefore B) immediately invested in these characters, as they represent a possible means of shedding light on these mysteries. If they are indeed left out of the show, I suspect HR will be as well; if he makes an appearance late in the game to reveal the truth of a certain equation, it would be a total deus ex machina. In the novels, of course, his (maybe) eventual appearance will have been foreshadowed and expected. This leads me to speculate that one of the central mysteries may be handled differently by the show.

Ramsay, OTH...I see his character as much less optional if they are aiming for relative fidelity to the books. The whole Northern political storyline presents the hardest challenge for the show because it relies on so much historical backstory and exposition that would be clunky as TV dialogue. A few little bits here and there ("the Boltons have been skinning Starks for 5000 years", etc), but the Hornwood stuff that drives the Ramsay storyline will be hard to include. It's pretty difficult to make any kind of guess right now as to how they're going to do it. The first time I read aCoK I was mightily confused by the Reek/Ramsay switcheroo, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were looking for a more TV-friendly solution.

By the end I this season, I think we'll be able to make some much more informed guesses as to where some of the major arcs are heading, but for now--well I guess we'll just speculate anyway! I think the show is gonna be absolutely killer, regardless.

Obviously (hopefully??) the Reeds, Reek and the sack of Winterfell will be postponed to S3. If they cut out the Reeds completely, they're nuts, and if they cut out Ramsay, well... that's just completely silly. But, I just wonder what the HELL Bran will be doing all of S2...

I'm fairly certain that the sack of Winterfell has not been pushed to Season 3, but I am hoping the introduction of the Reeds and Ramsey has been. I am interested to see how they go with both Theon's storyline and with Bran's storyline without these characters, because I do not think it would be effective. Bran needs to learn about his dreams and how to control them, and I just don't see Osha as being able to do that. Also Osha can not travel with them beyond the Wall unless they take Rickon along too which would mess things up dramatically for future seasons. I am hoping that Bran, Rickon, Hodor and Osha end the season in the Winterfell crypts. And then next season, after the introduction of Ramsey, they will leave Winterfell and somehow the Reeds will meet with them. It's the only way I see the story going without being entirely messed up.

Ramsay could not be present at Winterfell at all. He could just be Roose's representative in the North, turning up before the castle and stabbing Ser Rodrik in the back, omitting the whole Hornwood thing (or putting parts of it offscreen).

But eventually we need the Reeds. Bran and Rickon have to be split up. I guess Jojen and Meera will be there when Bran, Rickon, and Osha emerge from the crypts, awaiting them.

Bran can still have much to do in season 2, though. They did not introduce warging or the three-eyed crow properly in season 1. I guess we will see a lot of Bran dream stuff about 'flying' in season 2.

Ramsay could not be present at Winterfell at all. He could just be Roose's representative in the North, turning up before the castle and stabbing Ser Rodrik in the back, omitting the whole Hornwood thing (or putting parts of it offscreen).

I agree, and that's why I think the season will end before Bran and Rickon escape from Winterfell. I think Theon's storyline at Winterfell will definitely occur in Season 2, but I don't think it will extend as far as Ramsey coming back (or initially coming as you suggest). I think they will save that, along with Bran, Osha, Hodor and Rickon emerging from the crypts for Season 3.

The only problem I see is with the miller's children plotline. Will it be changed so that Theon comes up with it himself? Or does some random Ironborn suggest it to him?

My best guess:

Instead of ever hiding from Theon's men in the crypts, Bran, Osha, Rickon and Hodor simply escape. Season 2 ends with the escape. Then, in Season 3, we kick off with Theon presiding over Winterfell and we're introduced to Reek. Meera and Jojen are encountered by Bran & Co on their travels (perhaps it's the Reeds who suggest splitting up Bran and Rickon instead of Luwin), and they all venture off to the Wall. So the first half of aSoS (Season 3) will be Theon & Reek's storyline from the end of aCoK, but for Bran & Co it will be the usual aSoS story.

This resolves a number of problems: Theon's arc doesn't have a two season gap in it. The casting of Reek, Jojen and Meera is timed with the beginning of Season 3 instead of an awkward half season. And if they flesh out Theon and Reek's storyline for both aSoS seasons, you'd have quite a nice touch going between Season 4 & 5 where the balance of power is immediately shifted from season closer to season premiere: in one Reek is Ramsay, in the other Reek is Theon. Also this will help flesh out Season 3 & 4 (aSoS is big, but not twice as big as the preceding books).

The only issues are how Robb and Catelyn react to the news from the north, and how this is timed with their actions. I don't see this as particularly relevant, all of Catelyn's actions can be just as easily explained by her being worried about Arya and Sansa as they can by her being grief ridden about Bran and Rickon.

I also think that the sack of Winterfell will be pushed to early season 3. I think season 2 ends with Theon "killing" Bran and Rickon. The last scene of season 2, in my opinion, is Bran and crew down in the crypts, so we all know he is alive before next season.

Well, judging by episode one where Osha asks Bran about the wolfdreams. It looks like Meera and Jojen are going to be cut from the series, because Osha has taken over their entire function.

Not necessarily, because who is Rickon going to go off with if not Osha? Bran goes alone with Hodor to the wall?

Archived