Models: Hurricane Sandy to become Hybrid "Perfect" Storm

drawkcabi

We're as prepared as we're gonna be. Had no luck finding a generator or inverter for the sump pump, so we're keeping our fingers crossed that the power goes out only after the worst of the rain. Other than the sump pump, I'm not overly worried about having no power. (Living in India has been acclimation enough.) I've got plenty of books to read and papers to write.

The husband is totally freaked out by the possibility of the sump pump being without power. A few years ago we had a flood in the basment when the pump motor burned out and had over $7000 in damages. He was away all weekend, so the preps were left to me. Now he thinks we need a battery operated sump pump (or one with a battery back up) or something, but all the stores are sold out.

Being the awesoome person I am, I threw a Hail Mary pass. A long time ago I bought a power strip for the car (to run the son's dvd player and video games on long trips). If worse comes to worse, we will run an extention cord to the car and power the pump that way. Both cars have full tanks of gas and even if we kill the batteries in both cars, it will still be a cheaper solution than a flooded basement. (we are still using it as living spaces as well as storage space)

We'll likely have to go to work tomorrow, but my daycare provider lives around the block and can text me if the power goes out and I'll come straight home to take care of it.

Lany, do you have an inverter? How are you connecting the pump to your car?

eta: Oh nevermind. That's what you mean by power strip.

Be careful though. Does it have enough watts for the pump? Keep in mind, sump pumps usually up to 5x the number of operating watts during startup.

Lany, do you have an inverter? How are you connecting the pump to your car?

eta: Oh nevermind. That's what you mean by power strip.

Be careful though. Does it have enough watts for the pump? Keep in mind, sump pumps usually up to 5x the number of operating watts during startup.

thanks. it has a surge protecter thingie and fuse on it.(I hope that works if needed) I am truly hoping we never need it. Still cannot feel any anxiety about this storm. I keep watching the weather channel, but nothing. Husband is freaked out enough for both of us. :)

Ocean City, MD and much of Worcester county in under mandatory evacuation, I'm in Wicomico, the next county over, under state of emergency and where there's lots of voluntary evacuations coming closer to me. But I have to stay put.

Oh, and our neighbor with alzheimers, a lady that lives by herself, is over seriously upset saying she hasn't eaten in 3 days and her daughter took her only phone. She's come over and done this before, many times, always saying her daughter took her phone and it's never true.

Well, New York and New Jersey mass transit systems are going into total shutdown mode over the next couple of hours and most schools and offices are closed tomorrow, so nobody with any sense is going anywhere (aside from the people who have to evacuate, of course). Right now they're saying the worst of it will hit us sometime late Monday.

I've got a ton of research to do, so I hope the power and internet stays on. Email and browsing on my iPhone is one thing, but using it to comb the web for academic journals are something else entirely. (Does JSTOR have an iPhone app, I wonder?)

Yay! (to govt shutdown) (because my computer died so I cant telework) line

so I'm stuck at home with lots of bottled tap water, candy, and assorted junk and canned food.

- in downtown silver spring, just across the dc border

We got beer, bacon and booze. We're listening to Iron Fucking Maiden vinyl LPs that I got at a used record store yesterday. We're drinking champagne because it's our seventh wedding anniversary. Fuck this storm. :cheers:

Happy anniversary to you and Mr. X! :cheers:

Archived