Models: Hurricane Sandy to become Hybrid "Perfect" Storm

drawkcabi

Hurricane Sandy is still in the Carribean now, and my hopes and best wishes to everyone around it there, and I know storm paths can change drastically in the amount of time I'm talking about - 5 days - but this is interesting especially since current models predict I could be right in the middle of it.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20121025/US.SCI.Super.Storm/?cid=hero_media

Models shows Hurricane Sandy merging with a noreaster and cold arctic air coming in from the north. Some models show it hitting up in New York - Maine area but it's now a 70% chance that the remnants of the hurricane part is heading for Deleware and if it does we've got a good chance for snow at the end of this thing...snow

I'm like 10 miles south of Deleware on the Delmarva peninsula.

Anyway, I don't want to be an alarmist, I'm not really worried or concerned about this - yet - but kind of fascinated by this storm. Another example of changing and crazy weather patterns due to climate change?

Also, this is a heads up, even if it is early, for anyone here in the north-atlantic and northeast regions to at least keep an eye on the weather forecasts, starting now, just to keep it in mind. These things have a way of sneaking up on people when a lot of other things are going on and weather isn't getting much consideration. If this does get real we can use this thread for check ins on everybody in the north-east and mid-atlantic.

So Happy Halloween from mother nature.

I know it's difficult for people on both sides of climate change issues to grasp, but you just can't attribute particular weather events to global warming. There is just enough uncertainty and randomness in the system so that any particular event could theoretically happen whether global temperature rise is a reality or not. So no, neither Sandy nor Katrina nor any other particular hurricane or storm by itself is evidence for climate change (or non-change.)

It is fascinating, though, that the number of storms in the Atlantic has been so high the last 15 years. Hurricanes began to be named in 1950. In the Atlantic there are six rotating lists of 21 names in alphabetical order that are assigned to tropical storms as they form. The first "N" storm wasn't named until 1990 and the first "O" storm happened in 1995. 1995 actually went up to "T" which was considered amazing at the time; 2005, the year of Katrina, had 27 named storms, the first year even to go beyond the regular list and have storms named with letters of the Greek alphabet. In addition to Sandy, we now have Tony in the middle of the Atlantic so four of the six lists have now had storms up through the letter "T", and all six of the lists have had "P" storms now, when we never even made it to "O" before 1995. This could have to do with a long term oscillation in the Atlantic that would have happened without global climate change, but it's certainly interesting nonetheless. We have a fairly good chance this year of being only the second year to have a "V" storm. ("U" isn't used in the Atlantic.)

Frakenstorm, heh, I like that.

I know people are saying there was snow in md last Halloween, but that's how bad my memory has gotten, I don't remember a single thing about Halloween 2011, blank slate. That belongs in the aging thread...

I know it's difficult for people on both sides of climate change issues to grasp, but you just can't attribute particular weather events to global warming. There is just enough uncertainty and randomness in the system so that any particular event could theoretically happen whether global temperature rise is a reality or not. So no, neither Sandy nor Katrina nor any other particular hurricane or storm by itself is evidence for climate change (or non-change.)

It is fascinating, though, that the number of storms in the Atlantic has been so high the last 15 years. Hurricanes began to be named in 1950. In the Atlantic there are six rotating lists of 21 names in alphabetical order that are assigned to tropical storms as they form. The first "N" storm wasn't named until 1990 and the first "O" storm happened in 1995. 1995 actually went up to "T" which was considered amazing at the time; 2005, the year of Katrina, had 27 named storms, the first year even to go beyond the regular list and have storms named with letters of the Greek alphabet. In addition to Sandy, we now have Tony in the middle of the Atlantic so four of the six lists have now had storms up through the letter "T", and all six of the lists have had "P" storms now, when we never even made it to "O" before 1995. This could have to do with a long term oscillation in the Atlantic that would have happened without global climate change, but it's certainly interesting nonetheless. We have a fairly good chance this year of being only the second year to have a "V" storm. ("U" isn't used in the Atlantic.)

Yeah, I find it all very interesting, being on watch or warning with a lot of these storms adds to that interest. Of course it's not near as interesting/bad as it is for gulf coast, Florida, and the Carolinas.

I know it's not definitely caused by climate change, that's why the "?" at the end of that sentence. Just thought it was "maybe yes", "maybe no" in the grand scheme of this storm, and a question with no conclusive consensus except that it is questionable.

Frankenstorm was the hot topic at work today. I'm just outside of Philadelphia on the NJ side - we're expected to have gale force winds and other assorted end-of-the-world weather. I'm as prepared as I'm gonna be. Sump pump is chugging along and I have a backup pump if that gets overwhelmed. If we lose power, I'll have a foot of water in my cellar, though. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Good idea to have a place to check in and let everyone know we're safe. Batten down the hatches, folks...

This is not entirely correct anymore. Climate science has come a long way and is improving at an impressive rate. There are papers out which take a look at attributing an extreme weather event to climate change through probabilistic methods. While the science isn't advanced enough to say Event X is due to climate change, it seems to be capable of showing that Event X is Y% likelier due to human-induced climate change. And when that Y% is high enough, you can attribute it to climate change.

Take a look at this article for a quick snapshot of it, the article also has a link to the actual scientific journal:

http://insights.wri.org/news/2012/07/5-takeaways-noaas-new-study-climate-change-and-extreme-events?goback=.gde_3661405_member_135362579

Last year's October power outage has prepared me well. Friendly tip, slip with your next day's clothes layered between your blankets so when you wake up in the morning to a freezing room the clothes nice and warm to put on. This is assuming you have no way to shower before dressing of course.

With luck all the trees fell last time, and no more this time.

Yeah, this is lining up to be worse than the storm we had in NE last year when people were without power for two weeks, etc. Going to be a run on milk, eggs and bread this weekend because the proper way to deal with an emergency is french toast.

Gotta admit I'm starting to get a little nervous about this one. The latest projections seem to say the "northern mid-Atlantic" will be the hardest hit, but I'm a little unclear on exactly where that is; New Jersey?

Gonna go buy a bunch of dry food tonight in case we lose power (although I'm really hoping DC will be far enough south to avoid most of the damage).

Right now NOAA has predicted US landfall in Delaware.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/153813.shtml?gm_track#contents

However, highest predicted rainfall total is there, edging into Maryland, and a little south/southeast.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/zoom/Rainfall_Days_1-5.gif

However, these images'll change as NOAA tracks and reruns their models. DC looks like it'll get pretty dumped on, too.

Gonna go buy a bunch of dry food tonight in case we lose power (although I'm really hoping DC will be far enough south to avoid most of the damage).

Don't forget to buy jugs of water. People tend to forget that potable water supplies can get interrupted too.

Stay safe everyone!

Don't forget to buy jugs of water. People tend to forget that potable water supplies can get interrupted too.

Stay safe everyone!

Yeah I was thinking that. I hate buying bottled water, what a racket that is, but gotta have something if the tap goes out/goes bad.

Archived