Models: Hurricane Sandy to become Hybrid "Perfect" Storm

drawkcabi

I'm actually quite jealous of that picture.

hearing rumors of water in the NYC subway, on the floor of the Exchange...given the explosion of the plant that had been a rumor, anyone know any more about those? heard up to a month to repair if true?

There is water in the subways, yes. Also in the tunnels. Not sure about the Exchange.

I've been following hurricane crap nonstop for like 14 hours and I'm exhausted. Can I stop worrying yet? :(

You can, but will you? Because I know I can't stop worrying about everyone (and myself). I figure I'll be through this in another few hours so I'll get some sleep soon.

There has been an ambulance fire truck on my street (a few houses up from me) with flashers blazing for almost a half hour now. That can't be good. :(

You can, but will you? Because I know I can't stop worrying about everyone (and myself). I figure I'll be through this in another few hours so I'll get some sleep soon.

There has been an ambulance fire truck on my street (a few houses up from me) with flashers blazing for almost a half hour now. That can't be good. :(

Fallen tree in the middle of the road perhaps? It's the Fire Trucks duty to ensure access to vulnerable areas is available, no?

How long has it been raining in Jersey tmow?

While tht transformer is a very pretty light show, and a terrible mess to deal with, it shouldn't be that long of an issue. Team of guys can get that shipshape in a day. It's the distribution lines and the local transformers that take forever to set back up. Manhattan shouldn't be out of power for more than a day, unless the high voltage lines from the generations station/power plant go. In that case, get the batteries.

Holy hell, a woman was killed at my local Staples store. She was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sign fell down on her and killed her.

I can't think of anything appropriate to say, other than I hope everyone stays safe.

eta: I guess I'd wish her loved ones strength as well as condolences.

From my spot in Central Jersey, the worst of it appears to have passed. Naz I hope your buddy in New Brunswick didn't need that generator, since I understand that area started flooding pretty early when the Raritan went over its banks. Although the rain is supposed to pick back up in a few hours, the worst of the wind should be over. Lost power for about an hour or so when a tree at the end of the road fell over and took out a line, but PSE&G was out in no time and restored service. Heard a couple of thumps during the worst of the wind and and a recent walk-around my property confirmed that I had one big tree down, ripped up by its roots, and another big tree on my neighbor's property fell into mine. Luckily the tree missed our sunroom by about eight feet, because it would have destroyed it. All in all, we got off pretty light, especially compared to people on the Jersey shore or in NYC. My thoughts are with you guys and the mess you'll be stuck with for the next couple of days.

Archived